Author Topic: My WWII Propaganda Poster Collection  (Read 224658 times)

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
Re: My WWII Propaganda Poster Collection
« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2017, 07:37:54 AM »
A nice Dutch pro-Nazi poster advertising sports camps that were highly militaristic.

I only received this one in the mail last week and have still not taken it out of its tube.

I am also looking to sell this one if anyone is interested.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:29:32 PM by erik1925 »

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2017, 07:52:03 AM »
This last new addition is a super rare one indeed and I only know of one other and that is in
the collection of my friend William Gillespie who has probably the worlds greatest collection of
original NS film posters and other NS film related items.

I was very lucky to win this at auction as I have always loved the artwork since seeing the one
in William's collection. Never thought I would get the chance to bid on one let alone own one.

This poster is for the Luftwaffe themed film - Kampfgeschwader Lützow by Tobis Film 1941.

SIZE =  139 x 95cm

It is in rather rough shape and mounted on rather thick stock paper of some kind so it can barely
even be rolled.

I am planning on getting this framed in the near future, not only because it is stunning but because
it presents a storage problem due to it being almost impossible to roll.

Great artwork of Heinkel HeIII bombers giving English channel shipping a pounding...!!!

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:30:01 PM by erik1925 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2017, 12:11:50 PM »
The Tobis Film poster is amazing. Great airplane artwork and you can really get a feel and sense of the action. AND it's a movie poster! clap clap clap  ;D

You mentioned it was backed on an old, stiff kind of paper. Will you leave it mounted to this? Or have it re-backed at some point? Some of the borders also look more browned and maybe even with some remaining tape/staining (on the center left border), which could all be taken care of.

Just was wondering what your thoughts were to best help preserve this piece.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 12:13:13 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #253 on: April 19, 2017, 11:14:24 PM »
Many thanks Jeff,

It is a large poster so I can only guess at what the cost will be to have it fully re-backed and restored, definitely not cheap!

I must admit I have only had it out to look at it in detail for barely 5mins and that was when it arrived last month, so I
need to better assess what type of backing it is and whether or not it is detrimental to its preservation.

I am a less is more kind of guy when it comes to restoration. I prefer to keep the posters I buy in as close to the condition
I found them in, although the removal of things like mould, tape etc... and anything else that would be harmful to its
preservation I of course want removed.

I know of another collector of propaganda posters who lives in Canada and many of the posters he has had restored and linen
backed almost look like they just came off the printing press. This is definitely what I do not want as I think that any
character that the poster has acquired over the years only adds to its appeal, but each to their own I guess.

I have spent quite a bit on linen backing many of the top pieces in my collection recently, as well as having many of the folded
posters backed as well. The guy I have been using and who worked in NYC for many years is unfortunately relocating back to
the US, so I will now be left with the prospect of having to send expensive and rare posters half-way across the world to get
them restored / backed. Not exactly ideal, although I will have to take the plunge at some stage and that may very well include
having this Kampfgeschwader Lützow poster done.

The Tobis Film poster is amazing. Great airplane artwork and you can really get a feel and sense of the action. AND it's a movie poster! clap clap clap  ;D

You mentioned it was backed on an old, stiff kind of paper. Will you leave it mounted to this? Or have it re-backed at some point? Some of the borders also look more browned and maybe even with some remaining tape/staining (on the center left border), which could all be taken care of.

Just was wondering what your thoughts were to best help preserve this piece.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2017, 11:28:47 PM »
Thanks for the details and info, Christian.

If you have ever seen or read any of my posts on the linen backing and restoration subject, my personal thinking is the same as yours: Less is more (for me), also.

I only asked what you might do, because that poster sounds like it had been backed in a way and with materials that could cause further damage down the road, like if the paper backing becomes so brittle as to cause the poster to "crack" into pieces, or tape stains/residue. Had it not been backed, and was just folded, I would never have asked if you might back it or not, as it looks in very good condition, on its face.

Can I ask who this former NYC restorer was that you have used and who's now moving back here?

It sounds like you were very happy with the work he did for you.

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #255 on: April 20, 2017, 01:17:09 AM »
No problem Jeff...

The name of the linen backer / restorer I was using is Michael Brewster.

He is Australian although married to an American and he confirmed to me late last
year that they would be heading back stateside due to the fickle nature of the business
out here in Australia (he is based in Sydney).

His website is still up as I believe he is still working here for majority of this
year tying up loose ends etc...

http://www.studiomvintageposters.com.au/

I made the decision to get as many posters linen backed by him before he leaves,
however I could still throw quite a few more his way so may contact him again to see if
he is still accepting work.

I have been very happy with his work and he was on the same page as us in terms of being a less
is more kind of guy when it comes to poster restoration....  thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the details and info, Christian.

If you have ever seen or read any of my posts on the linen backing and restoration subject, my personal thinking is the same as yours: Less is more (for me), also.

I only asked what you might do, because that poster sounds like it had been backed in a way and with materials that could cause further damage down the road, like if the paper backing becomes so brittle as to cause the poster to "crack" into pieces, or tape stains/residue. Had it not been backed, and was just folded, I would never have asked if you might back it or not, as it looks in very good condition, on its face.

Can I ask who this former NYC restorer was that you have used and who's now moving back here?

It sounds like you were very happy with the work he did for you.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:27:51 AM by ChristianM80 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #256 on: April 20, 2017, 01:23:20 AM »
Will he resume and continue to do poster backing, once he's stateside, once again?

And thanks for his name and the link to his website, too.

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #257 on: April 20, 2017, 01:33:31 AM »
I believe he is moving to the San Francisco area, at least that is what I recall him saying.

He is definitely starting up business over there again, although I do not know if it is with
anyone or by himself again. I will have to shoot him an email and find out.

Will he resume and continue to do poster backing, once he's stateside, once again?

And thanks for his name and the link to his website, too.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:37:04 AM by ChristianM80 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #258 on: April 20, 2017, 01:55:03 AM »
Good to know and great info.

I just looked at his website. Its nicely laid out and pleasing to the eye.

One sentence in the "About Us" page was interesting:  "With over 8 years experience working in New York City managing some of the biggest poster restoration studios and poster galleries, Michael has returned to Sydney to service a much needed gap in the paper conservation market."

Most restorers are their own bosses and they own/run their own businesses. Which restoration studios in NYC did he manage? Any idea?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:22:20 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #259 on: April 20, 2017, 02:24:54 AM »
I know that he worked for Chisholm-Larrson but not too sure of who else.   :)

Good to know and great info.

I just looked at his website. Its nicely laid out and pleasing to the eye.

One sentence in the "About Us" page was interesting:  "With over 8 years experience working in New York City managing some of the biggest poster restoration studios and poster galleries, Michael has returned to Sydney to service a much needed gap in the paper conservation market."

Most restorers are their own bosses and they own/run their own businesses. Which restoration studios in NYC did he manage? Any idea?

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #260 on: April 20, 2017, 08:20:40 PM »
I was going to post another new one that I have still not received, although I am afraid that it
may be lost in the mail or stolen as it is now 8 weeks since it was shipped from Belgium.

I have never had a poster go missing, so it is a real kick to think that this one may have gone MIA.

I do hold out some hope that it may still turn up, as I did have a poster take 15 weeks to reach
me from Germany a year or so ago, although I have no idea why there was such a delay.

Not great news as it was a hard to find poster and not cheap either, but the seller has been gracious
enough to split the loss with me and return half of the funds.

Fingers crossed it turns up eventually. eyeroll

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #261 on: April 20, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »
Christian.. does this parcel have a tracking number?

If so, where & when was it last scanned?

And here's hoping it finds its way to you.

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #262 on: April 20, 2017, 08:33:22 PM »
It does have tracking, although the Belgian Post tracking site is quite vague
in that it mentions it has been forwarded on, which to me did not mention if
it had even left Europe or anything like that.

The collector whom I purchased it off opened an investigation with them and
they said that it had indeed left Belgium, but as to where it is now is anyone's
guess.

It definitely hasn't been scanned into Australia as yet, so it is either stolen or
stuck in a depot somewhere.

Thanks for the well wishes....  thumbup

Christian.. does this parcel have a tracking number?

If so, where & when was it last scanned?

And here's hoping it finds its way to you.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #263 on: April 20, 2017, 08:37:18 PM »
It does have tracking, although the Belgian Post tracking site is quite vague
in that it mentions it has been forwarded on, which to me did not mention if
it had even left Europe or anything like that.

The collector whom I purchased it off opened an investigation with them and
they said that it had indeed left Belgium, but as to where it is now is anyone's
guess.

It definitely hasn't been scanned into Australia as yet,
so it is either stolen or
stuck in a depot somewhere.

Thanks for the well wishes....  thumbup

Without a tracking number and the associated bar code, how could it be scanned anywhere?

If its simply addressed to you, and has the sender's return address (and postage, of course), how is any investigation as to its whereabouts even possible? (Or is it? If so, Id love to know how that works).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 08:38:54 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #264 on: April 20, 2017, 08:43:25 PM »
It definitely does have a tracking number, but as I mentioned, the Belgian Post website
seems to be very vague when it comes to telling you exactly where it is when it was last
scanned.

All I know now is that it is somewhere between Belgium and Australia.

There have been no further scan updates since March 1st.  eyeroll

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #265 on: April 20, 2017, 08:52:25 PM »
Thanks Christian.. i misread ..and thought your post said it didnt have one... oops...  Doh.gif

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #266 on: April 20, 2017, 09:03:58 PM »
Haha! No worries.... thumbup

Thanks Christian.. i misread ..and thought your post said it didnt have one... oops...  Doh.gif

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #267 on: May 26, 2017, 09:50:44 PM »
My second rare NS film in as many months...

Very happy to have added this one to the collection.

FEUERTAUFE (1940)  by Tobisfilm.

SIZE = 95cm x 140cm  :o

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:31:18 PM by erik1925 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #268 on: May 26, 2017, 10:19:45 PM »
Wonderful addition there, Christian. And a huge size, too. It must look uber commanding in person. clap clap

I see your poster is signed and the artist looks to be W. Kohl. Did he do any other film posters that you know of?

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #269 on: May 27, 2017, 02:12:12 AM »
Wonderful addition there, Christian. And a huge size, too. It must look uber commanding in person. clap clap

I see your poster is signed and the artist looks to be W. Kohl. Did he do any other film posters that you know of?

Many thanks Jeff,

Yes that is the artist, although I do not know of any others he has done, I will have to check.

This one is in pieces along the fold lines so I am sending it off to my linen backing guy who
thankfully has said he can do a few more before he shuts up shop here in Oz....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #270 on: May 27, 2017, 02:21:18 AM »
Christian, would it be possible to take a close up pic of the Tobis logo and post it?

And brittle, acid burned folds are never fun to deal with. It's like a paper separator, in a way, if not dealt with.

Good luck on the conservation. Those white clouds and overall image will shine, once it's washed.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 12:25:35 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #271 on: May 27, 2017, 05:55:44 AM »
Here is the TOBIS logo closeup as requested...

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:32:07 PM by erik1925 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #272 on: May 27, 2017, 12:23:19 PM »
Thanks for the large logo image, Christian. The reason I wanted to see it, is because I have an Argentine poster for another German produced film, called Der träumende Mund (1953) and the logo design and company name almost look identical, but the spelling is slightly different (Terbis). I wonder if it's an actual different production company? Or maybe a typo?

I found no production company or distributor called Terbis listed on imdb, either.

Here's the logo from my poster:

-Jeff

Offline ChristianM80

• Hobbyist
« Reply #273 on: May 27, 2017, 10:51:47 PM »
In all honesty I have no idea, although I agree that it looks very similar to the Tobis logo.

I can ask my NS film collector friend if he knows anything about 'Terbis'.

Cheers...

Thanks for the large logo image, Christian. The reason I wanted to see it, is because I have an Argentine poster for another German produced film, called Der träumende Mund (1953) and the logo design and company name almost look identical, but the spelling is slightly different (Terbis). I wonder if it's an actual different production company? Or maybe a typo?

I found no production company or distributor called Terbis listed on imdb, either.

Here's the logo from my poster:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #274 on: May 28, 2017, 01:40:06 AM »
Thanks, Christian. The spelling of the 2 companies aside, the fact that both logos have the same, somewhat "squatty" pentagon shape around the company name is also a bit curious.

-Jeff