Author Topic: Monster A Go-Go's Shock-A-Rama Poster Show (in Blood-Curdling Freak-O-Vision!)  (Read 341860 times)

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Re: Monster A Go-Go's Shock-A-Rama Poster Show (in Blood-Curdling Freak-O-Vision!)
« Reply #275 on: September 29, 2015, 10:48:16 PM »
Oh my stars! It has been soooooo long since I bought anything. However, just the other day a package arrived for me. Hmm. What could it be? Some fabulous poster I forgot all about? Inheritance from some long, lost relative I didn't know existed? The Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes? No to all of those things. Instead i got an incredible surprise package from... ARI!!!!  Zowie! It was fabulous and soooo unexpected. (He had told me he was sending me a little something--but I never expected something so amazingly cool...and, quite frankly, I had forgotten he said he was going to send something.)

Here is what he sent:

A small poster advertising Ted V. Mikels' first Australian Tour with several nights of his films being shown. The tour never happened--Mikels got sick--but the poster remains.

Then, it's a flyer for a Mikels dounble feature--"THE WORM EATERS" with "THE CORPSE GRINDERS". It also looks like there is a premiere of another film ("FISHING LICENSE") coming right afterwards (Never heard of that one, but I'll have to look it up).

And did you notice? The flyer is autographed by Ted V. Mikels:

Next, it's the press book for "THE WORM EATERS"! Zowie!

...which is also autographed by Ted v. Mikels:

Finally, I got a flyer and a postcard from Ari advertising his memorabilia with personal notes inscribed on the back:

And, best of all, they are autographed by the coolest guy down under himself, Mr. Ari Richards! Wow!

Zowie!  Thank you soooooo much Ari. Your generosity was a wonderful surprise and totally blew me away. You rock!  I love my fabulous surprises!!  YIPPIE!!!

CHEERS!

PS I don't know why some of the images are showing up sideways when they are right side up in Photobucket. Grr.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Monster A Go-Go's Shock-A-Rama Poster Show (in Blood-Curdling Freak-O-Vision!)
« Reply #276 on: September 29, 2015, 11:28:57 PM »
Thats quite the surprise package, there, Shawn.. and from the Ari man himself!

So great and quite the cool collection!!

Congrats!

cheers !

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #277 on: September 29, 2015, 11:47:23 PM »
You're welcome, just a thanks, as some know I spent many months in hospital, and while I know doctors do good stuff, I'm living proof, it's NURSES who do the hard yards, without the support from people who seem to have endless supply of caring I doubt I could have handled it all. THEY DONT GET PAID ANYWHERE NEAR ENOUGH.
Anyway, enjoy some TVM paper, I know I do.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #278 on: September 30, 2015, 01:17:32 AM »
Thank you, Ari. I'm glad I could be the surrogate for ALL of the nurses who helped you. My patients like me too. On behalf of nurses everywhere, I am glad you are dfoing better and THANK YOU so much for such a delightful surprise-a-rama!

CHEERS!
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #279 on: September 30, 2015, 01:44:15 AM »
 clap clap clap clap clap

-Jeff

Mirosae

Ari, that is a beautiful gesture. You are special! :-*
Shawn, well deserved;  and agree with Mr Richards. You guys deserve a medal (or posters) :P

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Ari, that is a beautiful gesture. You are special! :-*
Shawn, well deserved;  and agree with Mr Richards. You guys deserve a medal (or posters) :P

Word for word what Rosa said.
 cheers to all of ye!  piratemel

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
What a gent!
Nick
Utter gent.

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Hi there!  I'm back from my trip, but STILL on a medical leave for me leg. UGH! No more paychecks and the disability insurance has still NOT kicked in. No nibbles on my house either. I am doomed. However, as much as I was going to, i have not exactly shied away from buying posters altogether...because I am an ADDICT and because I have one credit card (that was almost paid off) that I took on the trip with me. I ended up NOT using it that much and, when my friends went off to go hiking or something I couldn't do because of my knee, I'd sit on the terrace, watch the sea turtles frolicking in the surf, and go poster shopping!  ARGH!!!!  (I also sent Ari a postcard. Did you get it yet? Ha! Thanks again for the wonderful, WONDERFUL surprise package! Wow!)

My posters this time are my attempts to add a little more international flair to my collection. The first batch are from Spain...ole!

BLACK CANDLES:  Although the Spanish title "The Sexual Rites of the Devil" is way cooler sounding than the US title, "Black Candles" (which i own on DVD and have seen---and have absolutely NO memory of. Did it ever play theatrically?), the Spanish poster had an undeniable creepy coolness factor. Sex,depravity and aberration? Sold!

MARK OF THE WOLFMAN/FRANKENSTEIN'S BLOODY TERROR:   Although Frankenstein's monster appears nowhere in this and it was only saddled with the title "Frankenstein's Bloody Terror" to appease theater owners who were promised a Frankenstein movie, this is actually the very first of the long string of Paul Naschy werewolf movies. I got it fairly cheap and thought it was a good deal. Not only is it the first Naschy werewolf flick, but it's also a country of origin poster as well. Apparently it was also made in 3D, which was presented here as being "Super 70 Chill-a-Rama"!  Zowie! Wish I had seen it back in the day...

MURDER MANSION:  I know nothing about this movie (but have since ordered it from eBay--uber cheap). However reviews on IMDB make it seem like a spooky little horror flick that might be right up my alley. Poster is so-so...still kind of cool and also a country of origin poster. Why not!?

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST: I would love to have the US one sheet for this--alas, it has yet to happen. However, I came across this Spanish poster for the famous Italian gut-muncher cannibal epic and was blown away by the graphic and horrific images on the poster--and couldn't pass it up. Jeepers! That would have freaked me out if I saw that in the theater lobby as the next attraction as a kid! Ha!

CANNIBAL TERROR: While I still had my craving (for human flesh? Ha! No--POSTERS!), I thought I'd pick up this silly and very cheap-o-rama Spanish poster for "Cannibal Terror". I actually saw this flick just before my trip on DVD. Hilariously bad. At one point while in the native village, cars can be seen driving by in the distance. Ha! This is a Spanish-French co-production that came late in the cannibal wave of the 70s and early 80s.  But you know how those pesky cannibals in the unexplored regions off of the Riviera or in the Pyrenees Mountains are (maybe they're just confused Basques?). What a silly-lame poster for a silly-lame movie. Had to have it.

Of course, I've really been wanting to try Thai. I finally bit the bullet and went shopping--with mixed results (but hey--this was my first Thai experience! Be gentle with me... Ha!)

CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST 2 / THE GREEN INFERNO: Okay--last cannibal poster. Promise!  This is a Thai poster for "Cannibal Holocaust 2"--in name only. I researched it a bit and apparently the film started life as a TV movie called "The Green Inferno" (no relation to Eli Roth's current film of the same name)...that is actually devoid of cannibals altogether! Ha! How could I say no after getting my other two cannibal posters? And hello? It's Thai! I had to try it.

LATITUDE ZERO:  I've never heard of this flick, but there's so much fun and imaginative stuff going on in this Thai poster that I thought I'd pick it up. It wasn't too expensive any way.

SPIDER LABYRINTH:  My big Thai regret is this poster for "Spider Labyrinth". Why regret? Well, the image is creepy cool enough, but it's the same image used on the Italian poster (and this is an Italian movie). I've also seen it on English posters. There's just nothing Thai-ish about it. Nothing that makes those groovy Thai posters that others have been buying just POP and do their US one sheet counterparts shame. Oh well...

THE AWAKENING: Another quasi-disappointment (the jury is still out on this one). "The Awakening" is a dud of a movie. I probably should have passed on this poster--but, like the "Latitude Zero" poster, there is so much happening in this one I thought why not? Hmm...

THE BOOGEY MAN: This is a great example of a Thai poster taking a US one sheet image and bumping it to the next level. Like the US version, there is a frightened woman at a window. The extra shards of glass (or, in keeping with the movie's plot, perhaps they are pieces of mirror?) with horrific scenes from the film on them really punches this poster up. Not as cool as some of the fully original Thai pieces (such as the awesome "Apocalypse Now" or "Escape From New York" Thais), but it worked well enough for me to buy this one.

I do have a few more, but they can wait. Anyone know of an AA-type program for poster addicts? I have NO BUSINESS shopping now. EEEK!

CHEERS!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 03:30:32 AM by Monster_A_GoGo »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Having no money (including no room left on any credit cards) is the best way I found to stop the buying habit.

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!!!!  That might stop me, but then again...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
More poster goodness, for the Shock-a-Rama Show, there, MAGG..

Congrats on the mini haul of paper!!  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Mirosae

OLČ indeed to your Spanish posters!

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Thanks Jeff and the ever delightful Rosa!

Continuing my International shopping spree (that I can't afford--but did it any way. Bad! Bad! BAD!!!! Ooooo the things we do when we are laid up and have nothing but a computer at our disposal and are bored-Bored-BORED!!!), here are these others. (Get your passports ready!):

From Spain (Ole again...just a carry over from yesterday), two more "country of origin" posters:

THE SINISTER EYES OF DR. ORLOFF:  For better or worse, "The Awful Dr. Orloff" introduced schlock-meister Jess Franco to the world. During the early years of his career, he frequently returned to his popular Orloff creation in an attempt to stay relevant perhaps, or maybe just to make some quick cash? Whatever, Orloff has appeared in at least four films bearing his name in the title. (He's also in "Faceless" as well...). Although I may already have a copy of this poster, this third film in the series' (after "Dr. Orloff and the Invisible Monster") poster was cheap. Sold!

THE SINISTER DR. ORLOFF: What could be more sinister than Orloff's sinister eyes? How about the entire sinister man himself? Here is the poster for the fourth Orloff film...also very cheap (and sinister).

I also have what appears to be an Egyptian poster (my first), printed in English (which is apparently rare?).

THE TIGRE OF ESCHNAPUR:  This is not the usual shlock-o-rama stuff I usually buy, but I was just so taken with the old school litho-look of it, I had to have it (but am not sure if it's a litho or not). I was told it's a 1960s poster (the film is from 1959 and directed by Fritz Lang). Blah blah blah...here it is:

From Mexico, I scored this little gem:

DR. SATAN AND BLACK MAGIC: I had never heard of this, but once I stumbled upon it I couldn't let this go. O' those crazy filmmakers south of the border...they do come up with some wild and cheesy stuff--especially in the 50s, 60s, and early 70s. Zowie!

Now let's mosey all of the way over to Belgium for my very first Belgian poster! (Yes, in addition to Thai and Egyptian, I've finally lost my Belgian virginity, too!)

I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN: I have always resisted the Belgian posters. They often look like window cards (with the big space on top) and usually are just ultra colorful seemingly re-strikes of exisiting poster art (for the most part--NOT always). They didn't work for me. Then I saw this gorgeous Belgian "I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN" poster and I was sold. Look at that art and use of color. Zowie! Soooo awesome. And it's NOT the usual Belgian poster size I'm used to seeing. Oooo...  ahhhh Better than Belgian chocolates (and fewer calories)!

Next stop is Turkey. Do you have your entry visas ready? Don't try smuggling anything in or out of the country. I'd hate for the authorities to go all "Midnight Express" on you. Yikes!

DEVIL FISH:  While the film over all is a dud and NOTHING like the poster art actually happens in the film, you gotta love the wild artwork any way. For something like this, I would have probably preferred getting the Italian original (same art, i think...). But this Turkish came along and...

All aboard for Japan...

JAWS 3D: I like my "JAWS" movies--yes, even the awful sequels (I saw "JAWS 3D" at least twice in the theater---in 3D, and know I sat through "JAWS THE REVENGE" twice at the drive in and may have seen it once in a walk in). The "JAWS 3D" poster has different art and I kind of dug it. It's now my 2nd piece of Japanese poster art. I have a B2. This is my first chirashi. Why do I feel like sushi all of a sudden?

Heading back over Asia, our next stop is Lebanon...

NIGHT OF THE SHARKS: Speaking of sharks, although I've never seen "Night of the Sharks", I really dug this Lebanese poster for the film...and it's printed in English. Always a nice bonus and nice shark art work.

MAKO: THE JAWS OF DEATH: After the fin-tastic artwork in the Lebanese poster for "Night of the Sharks", what could be more terrifying than the Lebanese artwork for "Mako: The Jaws of Death"?!? Oh my STARS! I laughed out loud when I saw this. It looks like it was done by a 4th grader. Love it--but what a change in art quality from one poster to the next in the same country. As a bonus, it IS also in English. The poster is soooo bad--too funny. I needed it. The shark attack art is almost as bad as the Ghana movie posters I so recently learned about. Some of those are beyond awful/awesome (but let's save that discussion just a bit longer. Shall we?).

Last stop, down in Africa for some special poster art from Ghana! Oh my STARS!

THE SLAUGNTER/THE SLAUGHTER?/ZOMBIE???  Wow! Where do I begin? I had seen references here and there on APF to posters from Ghana...but never actually saw one and didn't know what the big deal was. I was Googling something else the other day (Thai posters, perhaps?)  and this insane image came up in the search. Clicking on it, I was taken to this website that had some crazy cool posters from around the world...and there were a number of posters from Ghana. Oh my stars! They were awful yet awesome at the same time. How did I miss these? Easy. It turns out they were all hand painted (never printed) and were done often by artisits who had never seen the movie they were illustrating---only having been given a synopsis of what the movie is about. They were done to promote travelling video shows (guess there are no movie theaters? I've never been.) in the 80s and early 90s. Since then, the primitive (yet so cool) art has caught on and has become big in the art world, with pieces fetching thousands of dollars and there have even been gallery exhibits and books written about them. Wow! I'm probably repeating things everyone else already knows--but I am way, way late to the Ghana movie poster party. (For those that do NOT know what I am talking about, here's a Google image search for Ghana movie posters. Check it out. There's some crazy, bat-shit awesomeness in there: https://www.google.com/search?q=ghana+movie+posters&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIsKnT2N65yAIVDMJjCh1xUwmB&biw=1680&bih=959). Anyway, I know that because they have caught on so much, there are a lot of "fakes" out there and mine may well be a fake...but I still wanted something from this whole Ghana thing. It's just so wild.  My poster was apparently not selling after a long while. The price was down and I can understand why. Most Ghana posters are painted on canvas, but not all. Some are on cardboard or anything else they could find to use. Mine is on the back of a rice bag. Really. The seller also could not identify the movie featured on the poster. The title reads "THE SLAUGNTER". HUH? If they meant "THE SLAUGHTER",it was clearly spelled wrong...and you still have no idea what movie it is.  But then I actually LOOKED at the poster and what it was trying to convey. In the upper left corner, you have a corpse's face that appears to be focusing on something. To the right of it is a screaming woman in a tropical setting. At the bottom, you have a woman (with fangs) eating a man at the neck area and behind them there is a herd of strange-looking people walking towards them. Oh my stars. Except for the fangs, this could almost be..."Zombie"! At the end of the movie, the 2nd female lead (now one of the undead) DOES bite into her husbands shoulder/neck. The people walking towards them do look like zombies. It takes place on a tropical island. Could it be? I'll never know. It could just be a rushed fake...but it's still cool. (Although not as cool as some of the others out there. Wow! Just wacko stuff. Ha!) I'm glad I got it and it was relatively inexpensive. (And--zowie! It's just H-U-G-E!!)

And that concludes our international tour for today. As we come in for a landing, please make sure your table trays are folded and put away and that your seats are in the full upright position. Thanks for flying Monster A GoGo Airlines. Have a groovy day.

CHEERS!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 04:08:23 AM by Monster_A_GoGo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Cool stuff, once again, MAGG.. and i'm thinking that Darvishjo will be able to help with the Egyptian Lang poster, its year, the print type (litho or offset) and its value, too..  happy1

Nice scores....

-Jeff

Mirosae

:)

To me LOS OJOS SINIESTROS DEL DOCTOR OLOFF is one of the best posters by Spanish poster artist FRANCISCO FERNÁNDEZ-PEREZ.  I think you have an excellent collection and fantastic eye. He will be pleased to be part of such a excellent collection.  clap
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 08:09:48 AM by Mirosae »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Love the Tigre art, plus hope the Ghana poster is legit but still interesting if not  thumbsup.gif

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Love all of the international goodies, Go-Go.
You say that the Ghana piece 'H-U-G-E!'  How big is it?

Great stuff!
 cheers

Offline Gingerman

• Hobbyist
  • I said......Give me time......
    • Be Kind Please Rewind
GoGo
I love that Jaws B2!!!! That thai Boogeyman is very nice also. Great stuff all the way around, but those 2 are my favorites!!!

cheers
This Space For Rent!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
GoGo
I love that Jaws B2!!!! That thai Boogeyman is very nice also. Great stuff all the way around, but those 2 are my favorites!!!

cheers

I think MAGG mentions that this was chirashi (B5) size? And I agree with you, Chris. It is a great poster image. So different from the other Jaws 3D poster art out there.  thumbup
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 12:15:30 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
  :)

To me LOS OJOS SINIESTROS DEL DOCTOR OLOFF is one of the best posters by Spanish poster artist FRANCISCO FERNÁNDEZ-PEREZ.  I think you have an excellent collection and fantastic eye. He will be pleased to be part of such a excellent collection.  clap

agreed, I have one of these also, (and thanks for giving me JANO's full name) :)

The GHANA rules, I got to get one also.
An Error Has Occurred!

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
Hi there all. Thank you, as always, for visiting my thread. I know it's not classiest place to hang out on APF--kind of low-budget seedy,actually...so I do appreciate you stopping in.

JEFF: Who is Darvishjo. Hmm. I suppose I can look him up on the member page, but I'd hate to bug him about my simple poster. If he happens upon it--great. If not, c'est la vie.

ROSA: I am uber impressed you know of the artist of the ORLOFF poster and can identify his work just like that. I will need to look him up and see some of his other works. I am honored to know that both you and Ari also have this same poster. That makes me feel good to know I am in such good company. Zowie!

STEVE: Thanks for the thumbs up on those posters of mine. Of the most current posting, those two plus the Belgian TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN, are my faves. The Ghana one is just so there. As I said, it's huge and it's the one and only original artwork. Whether it is a legitimate piece that was actually used to advertise the movies or not,I do not know. But it's still just awesome to look at in real life.

TED: Yes, the Ghana is HUGE (to me). I'm used to one sheets. By and large, that has been my thing all along. I have no way to measure it at the moment, but I stuck a one sheet and measured it up at the lower left corner and you can see how far above and to the right it goes in the photo below (excuse the mess around it. Ha!):

Somehow it looks even BIGGER in real life. The corpse head on the top right corner is just in-your-face awesome. Wow! I love it.

GINGERMAN: I also dig that Thai BOOGEY MAN. That's my favorite piece from the previous posting. The JAWS 3D is a chirashi, as Jeff says. Not a B2. It's only my 2nd ever Japanese piece...I do not even have it in my hands yet...I have no idea what to expect exactly (I hear it's small though). The Japanese sizes are a complete mystery. We'll BOTH learn about them together.

JEFF: Thank you, as always, for dishing out knowledge and information. Glad you also like the JAWS 3D thing. (B5?  How many sizes do they have and why do they all start with B?)

ARI: Isn't the Ghana stuff fun? So amateurish--but so gonzo cool at the same time... Look them up on line if you get the chance. There are some really amazing ones out there and some really awful/funny ones as well. The cool thing about them--aside from the art in general--is that no two are the same and they are all hand painted. Wowzer! And I've been meaning to ask you... Didn't I read some comment somewhere on here recently where you said you had moved to the most remote town in all of Australia and it was a 6 hour bus ride from the nearest town? WHY would you do that? Hmm...

Anyway, thank you all for stopping by. You are always welcome here.

CHEERS!

Offline Ari

• Curator
Ive seen Ghana posters for years, just never bought one, i should.

re REMOTE, Perth is the capital city of western Australia, which I am 6hrs bus ride away from. And known as the most remote city.
I live south, on the south coast, its very nice down here (where i grew up). (albany)
life is slow and easy, which suits me. But I move a lot. Perth & Sydney usually. haha

re the ORLOF by Jano, I went through a stage of getting as much Jesus Franco Spanish posters as I could. I love his movies.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Hey MAGG... i'm sure Darvishjo (John) will see your thread and might give his thoughts, as well as knowing that artist's sig.

Here's hoping!!  ;D

And Google is a wonderful tool. It can make anyone look like a brain surgeon.  imbecile.gif
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 01:17:28 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

ROSA: I am uber impressed you know of the artist of the ORLOFF poster and can identify his work just like that. I will need to look him up and see some of his other works. I am honored to know that both you and Ari also have this same poster. That makes me feel good to know I am in such good company. Zowie!
 far above and to the right it goes in the photo below (excuse the mess around it. Ha!):

CHEERS!

Hi, thanks!! Dont be impressed! Everyone in Spain knows Jano and why he has this nickname! We are very familiar with  Jano's works. We have two main artist, and he is the best well known one. I went to an exhibition years ago and saw much of his work. It  is easy to identify, trust me, he has a particular style. It will happen to you if you get more of his posters. And I think this poster is soooo good!!

Glad it is in such a safe hands!