Author Topic: Stills  (Read 28748 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Stills
« on: March 22, 2015, 05:15:47 PM »
Bruce's auction of stills just ended and some of them sold for a little bit of money.

Now, I don't collect stills at all, but I'm intrigued.  It seems so easy to reproduce photographs, say 5 years later, or 10, or 20.  How does anyone know the year listed is the correct one?  All it takes is a negative.

Anyone collect stills in these parts?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Re: Stills
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »
I am collecting the press stills from the Bonds, but only those that are from the NSS sets, not the Key sets.  Differences being that the NSS ones have full film titling, NSS numbers, Copyright info and (depending on the era) the little still numbers as scratched into the negative.

As above, all those from Dr No thru to Golden Gun are exemplified as such, after which the stills were numbered as an acronym-ed title plus a number.  To wit, LTK-1 would be for Licence to Kill.

Anyway, as for reproductions, an area I have tripped up on, being newly introduced, original stills are single weight paper stock and reprints tend to be double weight (I think).  Also, for some reason, a reprint tends not to display the scratched in number bottom left or right of the still.  I cannot find an answer as to why because one would assume to make a negative from an existing still and reprint away...

The rear of reprints can also tend to have printers' dots along the longer edge, which then get smudged.

As to collecting sets of NSS stills, even though the scratched in numbers on a Key set will go from, say, 1 to 50, NSS may only produce a set of 25 from the 50 available, for example.  Consequently, the scratched numbers would not be consecutive.  And there would be very little way of knowing what was and was not printed.

All the above is specific only to my very recent observations of just the Bond films so is quite clearly not encompassing of the wider field.

Suffice to say, I have sent back many stills as being reprints even though they are confidently advertised, and later confirmed, as being original.

It's a ride...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 04:39:55 AM »
Am surprised no one else had anything to say on this subject - not least because I am new to it all too and would imagine some corrections would be in order.  Or at the very least, additions.

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 08:24:37 AM »
For some reason, I ran into the same problem when I started this thread a little over a year ago:  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6097.0.html

I try to stick to the ones that have the little news clip attachments on the back for authenticity...

Mirosae

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 08:57:54 AM »
For some reason, I ran into the same problem when I started this thread a little over a year ago:  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6097.0.html

I try to stick to the ones that have the little news clip attachments on the back for authenticity...

That thread is great, Louie has a fantastic collection! :)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 12:51:54 PM »
That thread is great, Louie has a fantastic collection! :)

Thanks! LOTS more acquired since then!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 12:54:34 PM »
And, like LC, they are convenient, size wise, to store and organise.  thumbsup.gif

Louie, how many stills would you say are in your collection?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 01:11:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 02:03:45 PM »
Thanks! LOTS more acquired since then!

Any other Keatons? Your Keaton still with him standing next to a beer jug is one of the best images of him I've ever seen. Love that one! :)

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 08:42:10 PM »
And, like LC, they are convenient, size wise, to store and organise.  thumbsup.gif

Louie, how many stills would you say are in your collection?

Maybe 2,500. 98% pre-1940.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 05:47:48 AM »
Goodness.

Had a quick round up of my Bond stills and they number around 450.  Specifically just the fully titled ones being collected.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 12:33:43 PM »
Maybe 2,500. 98% pre-1940.

Fantastic, Louie!

And with that % pre-1940!    thumbsup.gif

Must be quite the collection. I can only imagine what film titles these include.

-Jeff

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 12:40:39 PM »
Fantastic, Louie!

And with that % pre-1940!    thumbsup.gif

Must be quite the collection. I can only imagine what film titles these include.

There are LOTS of stills from that time which go in the $1-3 range at the shows, you just have to be willing to sit and go through them!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 12:45:16 PM »
There are LOTS of stills from that time which go in the $1-3 range at the shows, you just have to be willing to sit and go through them!

And that can be some of the best part of collecting and fun, too -- finding the hidden treasures among the masses!

-Jeff

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 01:31:16 PM »
And that can be some of the best part of collecting and fun, too -- finding the hidden treasures among the masses!

This is true. At Cinefest this past March I picked up about a dozen stills for $20, all good stuff, from '30-'33, just the era I look for.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2015, 02:22:11 PM »
This is true. At Cinefest this past March I picked up about a dozen stills for $20, all good stuff, from '30-'33, just the era I look for.

Nice, Louie!

clap clap

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 06:49:36 AM »
Couple I have

King of kings

Don Juan

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 12:24:34 PM »
Don Juan.. back when Barrymore was just a "laddie."  ;D

Great stills, once again, Ari.

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 07:10:35 PM »
Thanks, and yeah, the early films make for good stills, I have a lot for newer films that don't do much for me.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 07:18:18 PM »
Thanks, and yeah, the early films make for good stills, I have a lot for newer films that don't do much for me.

Not even a comparison, imo, too. The artistry, in many ways, is very much gone today.  :-[

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:19:53 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2019, 07:31:18 PM »
No bids?

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=5433199

Never seen a Boondock Saints still before... never seen much of Boondock Saints anything.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2019, 07:57:22 PM »
Funny how things go.  When I started this thread 3 years ago, I didn’t own a single still and questioned their authenticity.  Cut to 3 years later and I bought a few.  Now I’m collecting them.

https://moviepostersgallery.com/press-photos/

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2019, 11:35:27 PM »
Funny how things go.  When I started this thread 3 years ago, I didn’t own a single still and questioned their authenticity.  Cut to 3 years later and I bought a few.  Now I’m collecting them.

T

I really like the Teresa Wright stills you have from Casanova Brown, T. Okie

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2019, 11:51:11 PM »

T

Nice!  They are addicting. I have about 25 books/binders now since starting my thread.  Slippery slope for sure...

Offline Stefano

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2019, 12:54:19 AM »
If you have a few very favorite films, it can be fun to try to find all the images possible, especially if it is not a popular title (i.e., stills and lobby cards were printed in very limited quantities).  You can think of a lot of Hammer films, for example.  There are some films where I have only ever seen a few French lobby cards, but have never seen those cards ever again.  The German lobby cards might be equally rare, but have different scenes.  It used to boggle my mind as to why not all collectors go for lobby cards.  But I think a person has to be very obsessive about getting everything they can from one particular film to start collecting lobbies to this extent.  For these reasons, I enjoy them a lot.