Author Topic: What does it cost to ship a rolled poster to the UK (US Members)?  (Read 12510 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
After having some interest in some of my auctions a fellow asked what the shipping would be to send a poster to the UK. I know I had already complained about the shipping costs to the US. But I couldn't believe the cost to send a rolled poster to the UK?
Regular Mail to the UK- $50!! And Registered Mail- $85!!

Why are the rates so high here in Canada????

I am curious what does it cost to ship a rolled poster to the UK from the US??
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 08:38:30 AM by bigmike »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: What does it cost to ship a rolled poster to the UK (US Members)?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:33:41 AM »
Ouch!

It's sad really because from what I have seen Royal Mail charges a fraction of that to send the other way over the Atlantic!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 01:16:05 PM »
Mike,

i sent 3 rolled and linen backed posters in a heavy gorilla tube from here in So Calif, to the UK not too too long ago. (so this had some weight behind it too, with all being backed).

I sent it USPS Priority International. I mailed it on a Monday and it was in the UK that Wed or Thurs.  thumbsup.gif

Total cost was about $60.00 USD

So your shipping costs from Canada to the US and UK are painful to read.  crying

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 02:04:46 PM »
Still better than to Australia where it is like $125 Registered
Chris

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 02:18:23 PM »
That sounds pretty standard for overseas from Canada. $50 Canadian is just over $39 US.  You might want to consider knocking a couple of bucks off, given that the buyer will pay in USD.  At least it will make it more appealling to them to go through with the deal.  Have you signed up for the Venture card with Canada Post?  Its free and you dont have to prove that you are a "small business" and it will knock a couple of bucks off your rate.  Finally, get a saw and trim that excess tubing which can also make a difference.

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 05:31:01 PM »
I ship USPS First Class International for around $20 from US to UK, and that comes with Delivery Confirmation if postage is purchased the online.  Then I insure it through a 3rd party like insurepost.com for only $1.50 per $100 of insurance.  

I used to always use Priority International but that costs about $43 for a two pound package, was not delivered any faster, and Uk residents were always hit with a Parcel Force processing fee (whereas First Class packages are delivered by Royal Mail).  The only benefit to Priority is there are more tracking updates on Parcelforce.com when the packages reach the UK, whereas First Class packages typically only show an update once the item is delivered.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 09:53:07 PM by archstanton »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 10:06:14 PM »
Just in the middle of a deal at the moment, and shipping went up, mid deal, and shit it's expensive.
I got a good deal on the paper but the postage is making my costs much higher than I expected.

Question, the seller is sending in tubes under 4bls as he says it's the best way, but  I'm getting ten or more packages. Surely it would be cheaper to have one or two heavier tubes with more posters? I think he is putting about ten rolled one sheets per tube. Wouldn't 50 per tube make sense ? Or is under 4lbs somehow better than a 20 lbs tube?

Hmmmm..

Regardless, oh it's sent UPS

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 10:08:49 PM »
I hate when things are sent UPS or Fedex. Shipping is really fast, however, they always get you with crazy brokerage charges plus duties.