Author Topic: My Poster Collecting Blog  (Read 92272 times)

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Re: The Fighting Lady
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2015, 02:47:05 PM »
Thanks for looking Jeff!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: My Poster Collecting Blog
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2015, 02:48:32 PM »
Sure thing!

Will you have that poster conserved or backed at some point? Or just leave it as is?

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:48:48 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Dreams of Hind and Camilia (1989) - (dir: Mohamed Khan)
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2015, 04:58:08 AM »
This is an entry I did in 2012 about a poster for a film by my favorite Egyptian director, Mohamed Khan:

http://www.mopopoc.com/2012/10/dreams-of-hind-and-camilia-ahlam-hind.html

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2015, 11:51:25 AM »
Jeff, 

I ran out of space on my walls a long time ago for displaying film posters and I have so many linen-backed posters standing on their ends in rolls, I have trouble finding them now.  My preferred method for preserving a poster like this one would be archival encapsulation with deacidified paper kept flat in a drawer in an open mylar sleeve, with no restoration since it still looks good enough for display.  This is what MOMA does.   However I don't have enough room for those big drawers in their cabinets, so for the foreseeable future I'll just be leaving it as it is folded in a plastic envelope in a file cabinet.    When I want to admire it I'll look at the digital file instead of pulling the poster.  I have over 14000 posters in my little three-bedroom house.  This is how it goes. 

John

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2015, 12:28:15 PM »
Jeff, 

I ran out of space on my walls a long time ago for displaying film posters and I have so many linen-backed posters standing on their ends in rolls, I have trouble finding them now.  My preferred method for preserving a poster like this one would be archival encapsulation with deacidified paper kept flat in a drawer in an open mylar sleeve, with no restoration since it still looks good enough for display.  This is what MOMA does.   However I don't have enough room for those big drawers in their cabinets, so for the foreseeable future I'll just be leaving it as it is folded in a plastic envelope in a file cabinet.    When I want to admire it I'll look at the digital file instead of pulling the poster.  I have over 14000 posters in my little three-bedroom house.  This is how it goes. 

John

Acid free paper and kept flat or folded is certainly a way to go, also, John. Especially when you say you have not only run out of wall space but have that many posters in your personal collection. 14,000... wow!   faint2.gif

I am also of the opinion that conservation and backing-wise, that less is more. In other words, to not cover over and obliterate the life a poster has led to now, but only use it to stabilize, and help it to live another 100 years. I also think it looks very fine as is, and the digital viewing method allows for that without further potential damage.

Thanks again for the insight and info. Keep on truckin' as they say.

:D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 03:44:03 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2015, 12:45:12 PM »
I am also of the opinion that conservation and backing-wise, that less is more. In other words, to not cover over and obliterate the life a poster has led to now, but only use it to stabilize, and help it to live another 100 years. I also think it looks very fine as is, and the digital viewing method allows for that without further potential damage.

Another aspect of this is if I were interested in displaying a poster for The Fighting Lady I'd prefer the US one-sheet to this Argentine one.  It just think it looks cleaner and brighter, but I don't have one.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:46:21 PM by DarvishJo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2015, 12:46:15 PM »
Another aspect of this is if I were interested in displaying a poster for The Fighting Lady I'd prefer the US one-sheet to this Argentine one.  It just think it looks cleaner and brighter, but I don't have one.

At the end of the day, it's all about what catches one's eye the most.

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2015, 04:29:29 PM »
Thanks. Good reading here. "The final countdown" is an interesting film.

Have you watched all the films published on your blog?

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2015, 06:22:50 PM »
Yes Rosa!  That's one of my main motivations for doing this :)

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2015, 03:39:43 AM »
'I have over 14000 posters in my little three-bedroom house.  This is how it goes'.  

14000. Good grief! My little house doesn't have that many cubic centilitres of air.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 03:41:58 AM by monocle »
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Shame on You (حرام عليك) (Ismail Yasseen) Egyptian one-sheet
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »
This is an Egyptian farcical take on Mary Shelley: 

http://www.mopopoc.com/2015/05/shame-on-you-ismail-yasseen-1954.html

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
This is an Egyptian farcical take on Mary Shelley: 

http://www.mopopoc.com/2015/05/shame-on-you-ismail-yasseen-1954.html

Really interesting write up, story line/variation and poster there, especially, John. Is this stone lithography? It looks like it could be (and if not, it certainly has the texture and look of work done in that method-looking at the monster's coat, his hands, etc). thumbup

« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 03:44:59 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Really interesting write up, story line/variation and poster there, especially, John. Is this stone lithography? It looks like it could be (and if not, it certainly has the texture and look of work done in that method-looking at the monster's coat, his hands, etc). thumbup

Thanks Jeff.  Yes, this is a stone litho.  I wish I could share the way the paper sounds and feels when you handle it, because I like that a lot too :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:34:05 PM by DarvishJo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2015, 12:36:29 PM »
Since it is a stone litho work, then I also know it pretty well (the look, texture and feel), as I have a number from the '20s and '30s that were done in this way.

Stone litho work and its subtle way of creating shading and texture can truly be a sight to behold.

Really great, there, John. And I like that even in the mid 1950's, Egypt was still utilizing this technique, when offset printing had so much become more the standard printing method elsewhere, by then.

-Jeff

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2015, 12:39:40 PM »
Since it is a stone litho work, then I also know it pretty well (the look, texture and feel), as I have a number from the '20s and '30s that were done in this way.

Stone litho work and its subtle way of creating shading and texture can truly be a sight to behold.

Really great, there, John. And I like that even in the mid 1950's, Egypt was still utilizing this technique, when offset printing had so much become more the standard printing method elsewhere, by then.

The reason for this, as you probably know, is that print shops in egypt could not afford to buy the newer presses.  
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 12:40:28 PM by DarvishJo »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2015, 12:46:25 PM »
The reason for this, as you probably know, is that print shops in egypt could not afford to buy the newer presses.  

I didnt know this. Fascinating. And considering what it takes to do stone litho printing, it was maybe a good thing that they didnt have the funds-- as I much prefer this printing style to offset and the artistry it can take to produce the imagery.

Thanks for that added piece of info, John.

-Jeff

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
A classic egyptian melodrama about family conflicts over a child's choice of a marriage partner:

http://www.mopopoc.com/2015/05/show-me-way-people-doria-ahmed-1955.html

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
An oversize egyptian stone litho in superb condition:

http://www.mopopoc.com/2015/05/the-unknown-singer-mohammed-al-kahlawi.html

And the colors certainly pop on this poster, too, John.

clap

-Jeff