Author Topic: My Poster Collecting Blog  (Read 92547 times)

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Hello TheBigBoss
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 04:35:43 AM »
I haven't tried "invisible watermarks" (not even sure what that actually is) but what I used to do -- often -- was confront people who were using my unwatermarked photos and ask them either to stop doing it or to acknowledge me as the one who did the work.  This has two prohibitive disadvantages.  First, most of the time it has no effect.  What usually happens is the one who steals the photo either does not respond at all or simply refuses to do what I ask after acknowledging my complaint.  Second, this approach would require monitoring of some kind on my part followed by individual follow-up action.  This would be too unpleasant and time-consuming.  I'd be an unpaid cop either trying to persuade people to show respect for the property of others, or trying to apply some kind of expensive and unwieldy legal remedy that would take me places I have absolutely no desire to go. I simply don't want to monitor what happens to my photos.  Let's remember, I didn't invent this idea.  Long before I started doing it Bruce (and a few other people too) was already watermarking his auction photos.  I haven't asked him about this or read any conversations he has had with others about it, but I seriously doubt if he has bothered to try to explain himself to anyone about this; moreover it is obvious nobody has talked him out of doing it and it has not hurt his business.  It may even be an asset for him.  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 04:37:58 AM by DarvishJo »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: My Poster Collecting Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 11:25:16 AM »
I personally don't care about people "stealing" pictures.  I have more than 10,000 pictures on my site, some high res, some crappy, and I say - help yourself.  Pictures are just pictures, they don't mean anything to me.  Anyone can take them.  Plus, my website was never meant to be some sort of commercial entity.  It is just a way for me to look at my collection.  Ultimately, the only thing that matters is that I own the posters and the people who steal my pictures - well, they only own pictures.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Flesh [الجسد] (Hind Rostom) (1955) Egyptian Oversize poster
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 09:47:35 PM »
This is an old favorite of mine I did in April 2014 for a rare old 33.75" x 45.5" Egyptian poster from director Hassan Al Imam, the great Egyptian master of melodrama, going back to the year 1955, right in the middle of egypt's golden era:  

http://www.mopopoc.com/2014/08/flesh-hind-rostom-1955-oversize.html
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:50:50 PM by DarvishJo »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2015, 04:09:15 PM »
Interesting to see Egyptian and Iranian posters.

cool1
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2015, 10:12:39 PM »
Dig your blog Darvish, just don't like the watermarks.
If you are compelled to watermark your pictures of other people's art, do it less conspicuously, like smaller and down in the edges.

I've just subscribed to your blog because I like the diversity of your posts.
Well done.

Offline keith

• Beginner
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2015, 11:48:29 PM »
Dig your blog Darvish, just don't like the watermarks.
If you are compelled to watermark your pictures of other people's art, do it less conspicuously, like smaller and down in the edges.

I've just subscribed to your blog because I like the diversity of your posts.
Well done.

I have to admit, I don't really get the point of huge obtrusive watermarks in situations like this. It's the main reason why I don't follow this blog, as I have no interest in seeing horribly disfigured poster art.

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Watermarks on Pictures of Blog Posters
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2015, 04:48:59 AM »
I've said pretty much all I have to say about these odious watermarks.  I've been  doing the blog for a long time; the people who like my blog are reading it while the ones who can't stand the watermarks are ignoring it, which is exactly as it should be.  I like the watermarks because they serve my purpose, as does the blog itself.   It really is true that before I started using watermarks someone illustrated an entire book with unwatermarked pictures I had left for them on my pages, with no acknowledgment for me and my many days and hours of work.  That was the trigger, after years of seeing people putting my pictures up on their own web sites anywhere and everywhere.  Cheers folks, and thanks to everyone who has taken the time to comment!   

John

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Permission to Use Photos of Posters
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2015, 07:37:59 AM »
Today I received an email from an art historian who is publishing an article about mid-20th Century Egyptian posters asking me to grant formal permission for the use of some of my photos.  Of course I agreed to this (without monetary compensation in this case) because he promised I will be credited as the source of the image and he's willing to sign an agreement.  Obviously I do not have any rights to the poster art I photograph, but I do insist I have done work (photography, research, travel and collecting) and that I want to be paid or at least recognized for my efforts if my images are used in public presentation.   For those who don't like watermarks the way around them is communication with me about a proposed use along with some kind of an offer.   

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Permission to Use Photos of Posters
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2015, 08:02:53 AM »
 For those who don't like watermarks the way around them is communication with me about a proposed use along with some kind of an offer.   

Yes, the watermarks are not coming off without some give ya tossers

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
"Give Ya Tossers"
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2015, 08:25:45 AM »
More respect than "give ya tossers" would be appropriate, but if I want to be paid or acknowledged and you don't respect that, there's nothing I can do about it.  I have done work, I've spent money, I've made a significant effort.  I want to be recognized or compensated for it.  Watermarks are meant to protect me from being exploited and they work very well.   

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic

-Jeff