Author Topic: My Poster Collecting Blog  (Read 92271 times)

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
My Poster Collecting Blog
« on: March 15, 2015, 10:49:53 AM »
Subject of a blog post today:

http://www.mopopoc.com/2015/03/confessions-of-opium-eater-1962-vincent.html

Does anybody know who did the art for this poster?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Confessions of an Opium Eater
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 02:42:45 PM »
Great blog post there John.

Thanks for posting that link!

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 03:18:07 PM »
Subject of a blog post today:

http://www.mopopoc.com/2015/03/confessions-of-opium-eater-1962-vincent.html

Does anybody know who did the art for this poster?

Reynold Brown
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 03:43:04 PM »
Thanks Wonka!

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 03:44:34 PM »
Reynold Brown

Thanks for looking Erik! 

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 06:06:26 AM »

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 04:40:17 AM »
I've been putting notes in this blog about my posters and their movies since 2007.   Now that I've joined APF,
 I'll put links to new and selected older posts here:

Man in the Attic (1954) - (Jack Palance) Argentine one-sheet:
http://www.mopopoc.com/2015/03/man-in-attic-1954-jack-palance.html

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) - (Steve Martin) US one-sheet
http://www.mopopoc.com/2015/03/dead-men-dont-wear-plaid-1982-steve.html

The Day and the Hour (1963) - (Simone Signoret) US one-sheet
http://www.mopopoc.com/2015/03/the-day-and-hour-1963-simone-signoret.html

« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 04:41:16 AM by DarvishJo »

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
Re: Death Race 2000 (1975) - (David Carradine) Turkish one-sheet
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
http://www.mopopoc.com/2015/03/death-race-2000-1975-david-carradine.html

Very cool stuff. Keep it up.

Death Race 2000, isn't that a movie about driving in New Jersey though?  ;D
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Re: My Poster Collecting Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2015, 01:02:05 PM »
Hi Undead

What I can get from watching the movie and reading about it online, it doesn't really have much to do with NJ, if anything at all.  It is more about a world gone wrong where the focus is on the rules and objectives of a road race that serves the purpose of appeasing a bloodthirsty population, similar to those of the gladiatorial contests in ancient Rome.

John

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »
Yep - sure sounds like NJ
Chris

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 05:30:55 PM »
Hi Undead

What I can get from watching the movie and reading about it online, it doesn't really have much to do with NJ, if anything at all.  It is more about a world gone wrong where the focus is on the rules and objectives of a road race that serves the purpose of appeasing a bloodthirsty population, similar to those of the gladiatorial contests in ancient Rome.

John

DarvishJo, sorry for any confusion, it was not intended as an actual commentary on the movie. It was a joke about how driving in New Jersey is taking your life into your own hands every time you hit the road. Having lived here all my life I can confirm that other drivers often seem like they are out to kill you for their own ends drive like its a game. The roads also could not be much worse if they had land mines in them.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 05:32:19 PM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 06:16:21 PM »
I get it!  I get it!  I can see where you're coming from too, but even though I've been on NJ roads a few times I would never have made that connection without some help from our friend Chris.  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:21:05 PM by DarvishJo »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 07:03:10 PM »
Nice blog.

I don't know if you thought about it, but it'd be nice if you said a few words about the posters too, like the name of the artist, maybe a comparison to some of the artist's previous works, maybe a comparison to other posters on the movie... things like that.  Even if you don't own the posters, just as a reference.  It will take a bit of research for sure, but it's good info to have, imo.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2015, 07:17:16 AM »
Nice blog.

I don't know if you thought about it, but it'd be nice if you said a few words about the posters too, like the name of the artist, maybe a comparison to some of the artist's previous works, maybe a comparison to other posters on the movie... things like that.  Even if you don't own the posters, just as a reference.  It will take a bit of research for sure, but it's good info to have, imo.

T

My thoughts too. I may be a bit more geeky than some others but in the space of a second I click the mouse highlighting the movie/poster name and right mouse click "Search IMDB" and then a new tab opens with the imdb.com website with the movie details. So to me there is not much to be gained reading the movie details in that location, Id rather see more posters in the real estate or read a commentary/personal thoughts, but I guess as poster collectors, some of us might enjoy some poster info! I think someone here does a great job at adding personal thoughts about the movie and maybe poster too(?), maybe someone can post a link. Don't get me wrong, I still like the site and know it is a huge effort to put together, big thumbs up for the work you have put in to it. I like the insertion of movie trailers for the poster. That is a great touch.

Ohhhh, I see now, the thread is made as a vehicle to sell the posters listed. Hmmm, personal sites might have extra info/thoughts as the people hang on to the posters and might justify the research.

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
50s Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 07:41:24 AM »
Although the blog is linked to a site that sells posters, that aspect of it is very low key and in fact I rarely sell any posters as a direct result of the blog.  It has become popular to an extent (has now had about 130000 views) because of its entertainment value.  People can look at a poster, then watch the movie or sometimes a trailer depending on what's available on YouTube.  When I started it about 8 years ago I was thinking more like somebody who wants geeky poster details, and I did a lot of posts that were geared for that.  This was especially true of the Egyptian posters, whose artists, printers and publishing infrastructure are very important but not well known.  Right now I am using it as a log to exhibit some posters I'm running across as I slowly rescan my entire inventory to get better images for the website.  I only show these new scans (I had even forgotten I have many of these posters)  if I personally think the posters or the films are interesting, or if there is a good clear copy of a YouTube video for a film I know certain people would enjoy, even though it really isn't for me (an example of that would be my Spanish one-sheet for an Italian production of David and Goliath.  )   I want my blog to be as entertaining as possible for as many people as possible because this logging and documenting I like to do means more to me if other people enjoy it too.  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:44:54 AM by DarvishJo »

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
Gator Bait (1974) - (Claudia Jennings) American and Egyptian posters
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2015, 12:21:24 PM »
I didn't mention it in the blog, but Claudia Jennings was 1970 Playmate of the Year.  She died in a car accident at the age of 29, soon after making the film Deathsport with David Carradine.

http://www.mopopoc.com/2015/03/gator-bait-1974-claudia-jennings.html

guest4531

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 04:25:31 AM »
The watermark on the pictures put me off !! 

I came to see clean pictures, not pictures you found in another site with a watermark on it.

Beurk  Doh.gif

Offline DarvishJo

• Collector
    • The Movie Poster Page
H Beurk
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 04:46:17 AM »
I'm sure it won't make any difference (maybe you'll be even more put off), but I did not find those pictures on another site.  Those are my posters, my pictures, my watermarks. After about 20 years putting pictures on the web without watermarks, I've finally come to the conclusion that watermarks are a must.  Without watermarks, people will definitely steal the pictures they find on the web.  One publisher in egypt published an entire book illustrated with pictures he found on my site, and he refused even to acknowledge me as the source of the photos.  Another advantage of watermarks is that when pictures from my pages turn up on google images people will know where they came from; I am crediting myself for what I did.  
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 04:46:50 AM by DarvishJo »

guest4531

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 03:08:38 AM »
Fair enough Darvish, you have a point.

This said, watermark is indeed a cheap (free) solution and ugly.  Google "invisible watermark"... For a small price, you can get a software that hide invisible watermark on pictures as well as a tool to monitors the web.

(y)