Author Topic: Japanese rice paper ?  (Read 4834 times)

guest4531

Japanese rice paper ?
« on: March 13, 2015, 06:27:20 AM »
I want to try to restore one poster just for fun.

I managed to find almost everything needed except the "Japanese Rice Paper".

1/ I have seen a guy in YouTube doing linenbacking directly on canvas, he wash the canvas three times using PH free softener. What do you think ?

2/ Anybody willing to send me a sample of paper in an envelope, it will help me to track it here.

Thanks

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Japanese rice paper ?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 12:25:41 PM »
Hey BB,

you should just write to restorer, Dario Casadei (http://www.vintagemovieart.ca/). He hasnt been around on the board much lately, but Im sure he would be happy to recommend brands or makes of the Japanese masa paper that he uses or has used.

You can email him here: mail@vintagemovieart.ca

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 12:32:57 PM »
Charlie can probably also help
Chris

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »
My friend Fernando shared with me this site which is great
www.talasonline.com

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 02:49:16 PM »
WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT BACK TO CANVAS ONLY. Backing to just he canvas will spell the end of the poster in a much shorter time period as there is no buffer between it and the canvas for things like swelling and shrinking from humidity just to name one issue only.

Talas as linked above is where I buy my Masa paper. Their prices are not the best or worst but they have a good turn around time, excellent service and are very nice people when talking to them on the phone. Many orders, no problems.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 03:16:39 PM »
Hey BB,

you should just write to restorer, Dario Casadei (http://www.vintagemovieart.ca/). He hasnt been around on the board much lately, but Im sure he would be happy to recommend brands or makes of the Japanese masa paper that he uses or has used.

You can email him here: mail@vintagemovieart.ca

I concur.  Dario is the best!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 06:35:49 PM »
WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT BACK TO CANVAS ONLY. Backing to just he canvas will spell the end of the poster in a much shorter time period as there is no buffer between it and the canvas for things like swelling and shrinking from humidity just to name one issue only.

Talas as linked above is where I buy my Masa paper.
Their prices are not the best or worst but they have a good turn around time, excellent service and are very nice people when talking to them on the phone. Many orders, no problems.

This is a great site.

thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 01:39:33 AM »
Is this rice paper thing edible?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 02:25:16 AM »
Chris

guest4669

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2015, 10:02:01 PM »
Just do a google search for Japanese "Masa Paper"

You can buy it in rolls or in sheets. The sheets usually don't come in large sizes, 21" x 31" is the largest I have seen, but you'll get the idea and if you have a small poster it beats buying an entire roll.

If you're on the west coast there are a few japanese art stores that sell it online or like my buddy CV mentioned you can try Talas.

guest4531

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 04:58:27 AM »
Thanks guy for your reply.

I am in remote Africa so getting Masa paper online would ridicully expensive.  But then; it looks like I have no other choice as there are no paper manufacturer here who do PH neutral paper :(

Talas as linked above is where I buy my Masa paper. Their prices are not the best or worst but they have a good turn around time, excellent service and are very nice people when talking to them on the phone. Many orders, no problems.

@Unread link - sadly I have no other options unless I find PH neutral alternative paper (like fine tracing paper). I live in a relatively dry environment so humidity and change of temperature is not a problem here.
Here is a video showing guy doing linenback directly on pre-ammonia-washed canvas - https://youtu.be/8ns1xE3MUCY?t=2m44s

Cheers

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 07:36:11 AM »
I am in remote Africa so getting Masa paper online would ridicully expensive. 

Is there a local equivalent, like maybe Maasai paper?

guest4531

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 03:01:52 AM »
Is there a local equivalent, like maybe Maasai paper?

There is, sadly it is a dark and opaque paper :p

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 04:24:04 AM »
There is, sadly it is a dark and opaque paper :p

This could work possibly, no need for a frame!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 10:31:14 AM »
Thanks guy for your reply.

I am in remote Africa so getting Masa paper online would ridicully expensive.  But then; it looks like I have no other choice as there are no paper manufacturer here who do PH neutral paper :(

@Unread link - sadly I have no other options unless I find PH neutral alternative paper (like fine tracing paper). I live in a relatively dry environment so humidity and change of temperature is not a problem here.
Here is a video showing guy doing linenback directly on pre-ammonia-washed canvas - https://youtu.be/8ns1xE3MUCY?t=2m44s

Cheers

Wish I could offer you better options but cannot as far as the paper goes. I am sure there are alternatives but do not have any ready studies that would allow me to suggest one.

For backing directly to the Canvas, again I in the strongest possible terms recommend against it. There is a great conservation article that I will try and dig up on it for you when I have time. In the meantime though in short some of the issues are that the canvas and paper have different absorption rates when it comes to humidity. As a result the expansion and contraction of the canvas is different than the paper and can separate from each other or bunch up over time leaving wrinkles in the surface requiring it to be re-restored and in the worst case scenarios it can actually tear the paper at weak parts. The masa paper creates a buffer between the two that absorbs the strain helping to conserve it as well as being truly neutral acidity among the many benefits. That is just one small reason not to skip the masa.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 02:41:18 PM »
A nice conservation overview here, from the folks at PM:

http://www.postermountain.com/Conservation/conservation.html

-Jeff