Author Topic: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial poster  (Read 2320 times)

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial poster
« on: March 05, 2015, 09:18:06 PM »
On emovieposter.com, Bruce has a DYK article on the E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial poster  and how authenticate the release date of that poster based on the GAU and GCIU logos. If the GAU logo is present than the poster was release in 1982 and that the GCIU indicating a release in 1983. http://www.emovieposter.com/announcements.php?id=873

What about a poster without either logo? I have a rolled poster with an NSS number but neither logo. Any idea about the release date on this poster?
Rudy

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial poster
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 09:35:06 PM »
ET was released in June 82 and July 85.  No other releases in the 80s.  It finished its run in the spring of 83, so it is possible that more posters were printed then.  Possible but unlikely.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 09:07:26 AM »
On emovieposter.com, Bruce has a DYK article on the E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial poster  and how authenticate the release date of that poster based on the GAU and GCIU logos. If the GAU logo is present than the poster was release in 1982 and that the GCIU indicating a release in 1983. http://www.emovieposter.com/announcements.php?id=873

What about a poster without either logo? I have a rolled poster with an NSS number but neither logo. Any idea about the release date on this poster?

Are you talking about this poster?

Here are the other two versions....

GAU

GCIU

The first poster has an NSS number (albeit in smaller font), but no printers marking and no block text title in the lower right.  It is most likely a studio printed poster.  This was common in the early 80s. 

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 09:43:49 AM »
Yes exactly. Just wondering if it was an official release from 1982 or a second printing after the movie became popular.
Rudy

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »
Studio posters would typically be printed around the same time as the NSS release -- i.e. 1st release.

Offline lalatin

• Hobbyist
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 11:02:38 AM »
 qip

Thank you. That is just what I wanted to know. I knew I would find the answer in this forum. I have learned so much since being a member.
Rudy

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 03:41:38 PM »
Studio posters are printed either at the same time or before general release posters I believe. They are used mostly in the L.A. area to my understanding and are also sent to distributors and the like for pre-promotion

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 03:58:59 PM »
Studio posters are printed either at the same time or before general release posters I believe. They are used mostly in the L.A. area to my understanding and are also sent to distributors and the like for pre-promotion

Good info, Rich. Thanks.

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 04:39:40 PM »
you bet...

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------