Author Topic: Dolby Atmos  (Read 80448 times)

Offline jpicken

• Hobbyist
Re: Dolby Atmos
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2018, 12:24:08 PM »
Did you pull the trigger Dale?
If so, what do you think??

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2018, 12:47:50 PM »
Its been 3.5 years since the bulk of these posts, so I suppose an update is in order.

My home theater remains unchanged.  I may start thinking about upgrading the projector as they just announced affordable 4k stuff at CEDIA this week.  However, my life is changing.  Kids are out of the house and I'm considering downsizing.  A projector and dedicated theater might not be the answer.

I did do the upgrade of the family room system earlier this year.  4k 65" Samsung.  Denon upper end ATMOS receiver.  The big change was I upgraded my main speakers to Klipsch Heresay and moved the KG4s to surround duty.  I also added 2 Klipsch bookshelves as height speakers, making a 7.2.1 system.  The ATMOS is really nice and the height speakers make a surprising difference.

-Jay-

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2018, 01:14:35 PM »
Yep, I put 2 in the ceiling for atmos, 4 would be overkill in the hillbilly theater. 

Processor went from Marantz AV7702 to the AV7703

Projector swapped out the Panasonic AE8000 and got the Epson 5040UB

Happy with everything. No upgrades now until native 4K projectors become more reasonable with decent features.  Front projection struggles with HDR, not sure there will ever be a "fix" for that.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 06:43:57 PM »
Yep, I put 2 in the ceiling for atmos, 4 would be overkill in the hillbilly theater. 

Processor went from Marantz AV7702 to the AV7703

Projector swapped out the Panasonic AE8000 and got the Epson 5040UB

Happy with everything. No upgrades now until native 4K projectors become more reasonable with decent features.  Front projection struggles with HDR, not sure there will ever be a "fix" for that.

How do you like the Epson?  Do you feel like the upgrade was substantial or minor? I like LCD better than DLP so the Epson is on my short list when I upgrade. Thanks!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2018, 08:04:50 AM »
I like the Epson, you do get an uptick in detail and color/contrast looks a touch better but not a huge difference there.   I'd like to trial run a JVC down the road, they now have a native 4K with pixel shift to yield 8K, would love to see how that thing looks.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2018, 09:16:02 AM »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2018, 10:50:39 AM »
I like the Epson, you do get an uptick in detail and color/contrast looks a touch better but not a huge difference there.   I'd like to trial run a JVC down the road, they now have a native 4K with pixel shift to yield 8K, would love to see how that thing looks.

Thanks!  I’m kind of torn… I’m still using an older 720p Sony projector. I got it about 11-12 years ago, not too long after 1080p came out but was still very expensive. I’m nearing the end of life on my second bulb. I’m of course wondering if I hold out just a little longer maybe 4K will come down in price and I can jump right to that.  However, about 5 years ago when huge (70”+) flat screen TVs became the norm I feel like innovation in projectors really dropped off. And some companies like Panasonic seem to have left the game almost entirely. Decisions decisions....

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2018, 10:12:59 PM »
I was so close to getting a 5040 a couple of months ago.  What stopped me was reading about the power supply failures (bad capacitors) that affected some portion of units.  That wouldn't have bothered me too much until I found out that Epson's warranty policy is to replace with a refurbished unit (even if it happens 3 months into ownership) and that the same defective capacitors got into the refurb line.

Everyone who didn't have that problem seems to love the projector.  But, I couldn't bring myself to do it after reading about folks who were on their 5th or 6th unit with the same problem and continuing to receive refurbs back from Epson.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery