Author Topic: Film cells  (Read 5998 times)

Offline Sunsanvil

• Beginner
Film cells
« on: February 09, 2015, 02:36:43 PM »
Stumbled across this seller out of the UK:
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/ware_electronics?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Not sure they...um...entirely on the level.  Take this one for example:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Casablanca-35mm-Film-Cell-strip-very-Rare-one61-/281586425419

Note how it has the DTS time code line in between the fames and analogue audio...and so much at best be some sort of re-release film festival print from the past decade.

That point notwithstanding they do seem to have quite a stash of cells, some be would be quite desirable to me for all of $2 a strip, but I wonder if thats too good to be true (I have NO idea the value of such things...).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 02:46:02 PM by Sunsanvil »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Film cells
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 03:09:20 PM »
Not sure what they are selling.  The Breakfast at Tiffanys is shown in academy ratio.  That would be serious pan and scan for the original.
The Aliens is 1:1.87, but wouldn't that have been 'scoped?  I would think that both would be horizontally compressed for a anamorphic projection lens.
-Jay-

Offline Sunsanvil

• Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 03:41:54 PM »
Yea the Breakfast a Tiffanys is odd in that its full frame, anamophically compressed, BUT with black side bars.....so its a scope/anamorphic (2:35:1) print which will display a 1.85:1 image (the correct aspect for that film).  The Aliens is more authentic being a flat print (measures very close to original aspect).  Both are clearly re-release prints though as evidenced by the DTS time code.  Nothing wrong with that, I just think they should describe them more accurately.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 03:58:03 PM by Sunsanvil »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »
these are just strips of film from a trailer. Whatever the aspect ratio is is corrected in projection with anamorphic lenses

as to "original release blah blah"
I don't see where he states they are from any original release prints, just that they are original film cels which is true, whether the film it was cut from is an original trailer (always these are from trailers) or a re-issue trailer

35 years ago I used to sell these and I still have a couple shoe boxes full of stuff somewhere. Maybe even a long comic box come to think of it

as to whether an original film cel or a re-issue film cel is worth more than the other, what difference does it make. It isn't a very collectible item in either case, just a fun collectible.
not worth much money, not useful for much other than projecting on a wall as you ooh and ahh

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 04:56:13 PM »
^ love that description "ohh" and "ahh"  fun collectible indeed.  ;D

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 05:04:41 PM »
these are just strips of film from a trailer. Whatever the aspect ratio is is corrected in projection with anamorphic lenses

as to "original release blah blah"
I don't see where he states they are from any original release prints, just that they are original film cels which is true, whether the film it was cut from is an original trailer (always these are from trailers) or a re-issue trailer

35 years ago I used to sell these and I still have a couple shoe boxes full of stuff somewhere. Maybe even a long comic box come to think of it

as to whether an original film cel or a re-issue film cel is worth more than the other, what difference does it make. It isn't a very collectible item in either case, just a fun collectible.
not worth much money, not useful for much other than projecting on a wall as you ooh and ahh

Where's that darned like button?  Yeah, I recall lots of places had hundreds of rolls of trailer reels for like $1/ea and you could usually make a deal. That would be before the internet in the late 80s/early 90s.

My father taught photography at a technical college.  He used to get old commercials and news footage from the TV stations (donated for free) and had an editing assignment where the students had to make a 5 minute film by cutting and pasting segments no longer than a couple of seconds from at least some number of reels.
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 05:27:21 PM »
Where's that darned like button? 

it's this one
 sm1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------