Author Topic: What happened to moviepostercollectors.com?  (Read 27199 times)

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
What happened to moviepostercollectors.com?
« on: January 30, 2015, 02:30:36 PM »
Does anyone know what happened to moviepostercollectors.com?  The site has been down for weeks now with this error message showing:

"The website you were trying to reach is temporarily unavailable.  Please check back soon. If you are the owner of this website, please contact Technical Support as soon as possible."

I liked to use that site occasionally for authentications, and I liked to send eBay sellers the shipping guide from that site so they might pack the poster halfway correctly.

My fear is that one of the lowlife sellers that the site warns about got it legally shut down or something.  Anyone know the scoop?

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
Re: What happened to moviepostercollectors.com?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 02:38:06 PM »
Guessing Mel doesnt want to pay the bill anymore.  He moved on to Facebook.  Use this link to see the webpage :)

https://web.archive.org/web/20140226230343/http://moviepostercollectors.com/MPC_Home.html

Offline archstanton

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 02:44:07 PM »
Great -- thanks!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 04:18:09 PM »
Mel must have found a woman friend who is now taking all his disposable (poster) income!
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 02:43:05 PM »
The MPC Facebook pages appear to have been deactivated or deleted.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 04:46:54 PM »
Wasn't anyone in here friend with this guy?  I vaguely seem to remember some of you even visited him.  Or maybe I'm mistaken.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 05:49:29 PM »
deleted comment
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 06:05:06 PM by Neo »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 08:01:21 PM »
Wasn't anyone in here friend with this guy?  I vaguely seem to remember some of you even visited him.  Or maybe I'm mistaken.

T

most certainly I like Mel and I think his absence is a loss to the forums.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 08:11:04 PM »
We've exchanged emails on occasion.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 08:16:13 PM by Ari »
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 08:15:28 PM »

T

Bastards dump him cos he doesnt collect ;p
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 10:23:15 PM »

T

"Friend" means different things to different people.  I mentioned to Mel I was coming to DC, he invited me over.  Brandon said he was going to be in Texas, I told him to stop by.  Rich has already invited me to stop by if I am on Vegas.  Bruce has said the same. Adam in the UK the same... I consider everyone a friend who is friendly...  How much of a deep friendship can you really develop over a great distance and online?

I texted Mel to see what he is up to.  We texted back in Sept., he's done with posters.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 12:07:39 AM »
For sure, I would assume it's all different for all of us.  I have a lot of cyber friends, on this forum or elsewhere.  But meeting someone adds another dimension as far as I'm concerned.  A lot of people have asked me to befriend them on Facebook, but Facebook is only for my friends, meaning people that I actually like and respect.  Holiday and I were MPF buddies, which really didn't mean shit until we met in person.  That meeting led to the creation of this forum and a very strong friendship.  I love the guy and I am very particular.  I chose my friends very carefully.  But when I meet someone, it means something.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 12:10:59 AM »
I texted Mel to see what he is up to.  We texted back in Sept., he's done with posters.

The best answer so far and yet the one I least understand.  So Charlie met Mel the collector.  It's a big fucking deal to meet someone.  Now Charlie lost contact with Mel and Mel is out of the collecting hobby.  How can you be so involved in a hobby one day to be completely out of it the next?  I don't get it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Starling

• Collector
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 01:22:31 AM »
For some reason I'm picturing the scene from Adaptation where the Chris Cooper character was obsessed with fish. It was fish 24/7. Then one day he woke up and it was like "fuck fish". I imagine that's Mel.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 09:16:02 AM »
The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 09:42:48 AM »
What I think really happened with Mel is that he loved collecting but not really for the posters themselves.  I am still not sure how one can find attachment to a poster without ever watching the film.  Or at least having seen 80% of the films you own posters on.  He enjoyed collecting, cataloging, researching, authentication, and at first the comradery from a forum like this. He also enjoyed helping new collector and busting dealers that were selling fakes - he had big brass balls when it came to that.  

In the end I think he realized that there was no sentiment attached to what he was doing, he was like a machine operating on a command structure and movie posters happened to the be one of the programs.  He was also towards the end trying to find real human companionship (i.e. girlfriend) and replace us.  Maybe he has.

His drive also created headaches with feedback from here and trolling - so much trolling.  Although, I generally like Mel and think he is a good guy - in the end I found it hard to to be friendly with him.  The poison of trolling from this forum and others, conflicts with dealers, and generally negative responses from his "friends" on the forum started to impact how he dealt with everyone.

I know that some of the trolling even went so far as to impact his work, apparently someone called his boss or office...

I think a lot of us would have said the hell with it, if we weren't really here for the posters...  The foundation was weak, the building fell and he just scrapped what he could.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 09:43:39 AM by Charlie »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2015, 09:46:28 AM »
The flame that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

....and you have burned so very very brightly!
Chris

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »
For some reason I'm picturing the scene from Adaptation where the Chris Cooper character was obsessed with fish. It was fish 24/7. Then one day he woke up and it was like "fuck fish". I imagine that's Mel.

Great movie.  cool1

Interesting analysis, Charlie.

Re: T's comments on friends here and what not, I agree to some extent.   A lot of people have these huge "friends lists" on Facebook, etc., but probably would never want to know many of them in real life.  A lot of times the feeling is probably mutual so it's not a big deal.  One of the good things about the internet is, of course, people can be social, but not in the same sense as being friends with them in real life.

Anyway, good to see that the MPC site is still accessible through the wayback machine.  It's an excellent website with a lot of good info.  Thanks for posting the link, JE.  thumbup
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:53:02 PM by Neo »

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
I am still not sure how one can find attachment to a poster without ever watching the film.  Or at least having seen 80% of the films you own posters on.
Not to  deadhorse  but as I mentioned previously, some folks (ie. myself) enjoy antique/historical stuff, a sub-element of which is art and stuff I can display, a sub-element of that being advertising, propaganda, and finally, posters, etc. 

Completely aside from this crazy past time, I enjoy movies. Do the movies and posters intersect?  Rarely. In fact, i've loved a poster only to watch the movie and be dissapointed. And vice-versa, the movies that i watch, well the posters might suck or just be too expensive to make any sense to me.  I dont know this Mel feller, but maybe he's just moved onto toy trains now, or soemthing.  Maybe its financial?  A few years back I tallied how much money i spent on smokes over 12 months...which helped me a lot in quitting that year.
Anyways, carry on fellas.     

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2015, 03:05:19 PM »
oh wells, Melly Mel seems nice but I will say he managed to insult me twice within the first five minutes of our first phone conversation. (about my worthless moderns I was selling so cheaply on ebay....stopping there.) 
Confusing to say the least since he bought tons of moderns, and I also explained I didnt pay a dime for mine so why would I just throw them away.   
Anyways he is only a few minutes away from me but was pretty put off.  Maybe a different story in person, I will never know.
But here in DC with an abundance of lawyers I have found its not out of the ordinary to always be taking stabs at each other.  His email is Alphamel afterall :)

I can see why he burnt out....he really put a crap ton of effort into researching and making the websites.  Still miss his posts though thats for sure

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2015, 03:16:12 PM »
The best answer so far and yet the one I least understand.  So Charlie met Mel the collector.  It's a big fucking deal to meet someone.  Now Charlie lost contact with Mel and Mel is out of the collecting hobby.  How can you be so involved in a hobby one day to be completely out of it the next?  I don't get it.

T

Since he didn't text me back last night, I will post what his last text was in September...

"Escaping from this hobby is like escaping from a cult."  I think he just had to make a clean break...

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »
Not to  deadhorse  but as I mentioned previously, some folks (ie. myself) enjoy antique/historical stuff, a sub-element of which is art and stuff I can display, a sub-element of that being advertising, propaganda, and finally, posters, etc. 

Completely aside from this crazy past time, I enjoy movies. Do the movies and posters intersect?  Rarely. In fact, i've loved a poster only to watch the movie and be dissapointed. And vice-versa, the movies that i watch, well the posters might suck or just be too expensive to make any sense to me.  I dont know this Mel feller, but maybe he's just moved onto toy trains now, or soemthing.  Maybe its financial?  A few years back I tallied how much money i spent on smokes over 12 months...which helped me a lot in quitting that year.
Anyways, carry on fellas.     

Crazy Vick will pull a Mel in 2020 - Book it!   :P 

I use to collect comic books but never read them.  After a while they were just not that interesting.  I use to collect baseball cards when I watched a lot of baseball, now I don't and they are not that interesting.  Just don't see how you can stay interested in a collection if it doesn't mean anything.  JMO...

Not financial, he was a lawyer for the US Gov...  It might have had something to do with some fights he was having with the "fake" dealers like tloce too...

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2015, 03:43:15 PM »
haha well he's reached mythical status for me at this point.  Government lawyer in DC? How could he not be an arsehole.  ;)

well wherever you are Mel, if you're reading this, you crazy inensitive flip-flopping tekkie poster genius informative bastard, goid luck and god speed to ya  thumbup

p.s. call me  :-*
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:46:17 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2015, 03:43:43 PM »
well get this.... I havent been to a theatre since 2010 and that was only because my power was out for four or five days, watched Toy Story 3D. and before that it was a couple years. and yes I am odd enough to admit that.

I have a lot of catching up to do

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2015, 05:15:14 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KnGo6Qm0Wt8" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KnGo6Qm0Wt8</a>