Author Topic: European Linen vs. American Linen  (Read 2631 times)

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
European Linen vs. American Linen
« on: December 29, 2014, 06:53:06 PM »
Not sure if this topic surfaced before so monitors do move if needed...

I've been collecting a couple decades and not sure how this ever escaped me - ending up with a 'European' backed poster.   I'm one of those non-opinionated collectors who has little/no preference on if a poster is backed or not.   I hadn't put much thought into the process of standard backing using masa and duck cloth until a couple weeks back when HA sent my first euro backed 3-sheet.

There's serious differences which I won't even begin to explain as there are many of you who can do a much better job outlining these 2 methods of backing, but I gotta say the euro material is great.   You lose the bulkiness that comes with standard backing while still adding structure to the poster that grants handling without worrying about impacting its grade.   It appears it cuts the weight of a backed poster in half.   

If any of you restoration experts can provide insight to this process and explain the differences - I'm sure there's others who would love to know more about it - bottom line - euro linen rocks!

Stephen Ryan

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: European Linen vs. American Linen
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 07:29:31 PM »
Steve, I think it's just that the European linenbackers use a higher thread count linen which is thinner. I have an example on the wall right behind me one of my Orpheus french one panels, the Hand style)

the only problem with them is they don't age well

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 01:12:16 PM »
Steve, what was that recently acquired 3 sheet that was Euro-backed?

The only issue I have seen is that sometimes the thinner, Euro linen may sometimes show folds and creases a bit more.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:04:33 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 04:11:24 PM »
Jeff I think that's just a less talented restorer.

Euro backers also use a very fine rice paper mount to the linen and frequently do no restoration (we call this European style)

of course, my preference is no backed posters in my collection, though oversized items do need help for display

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 01:24:08 PM »
Jeff I think that's just a less talented restorer.

Euro backers also use a very fine rice paper mount to the linen and frequently do no restoration (we call this European style)

of course, my preference is no backed posters in my collection, though oversized items do need help for display

Hi Rich.

Yes..i have a couple here that are done in the unretouched/non restored European style a well. I was more referring to the actual linen used..some being so thin that a poster's folds and its "memory" to want to refold have reappeared on the backed poster (on the linen itself). I may have a photo of the back of a poster, to show you better what I mean.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 04:10:43 PM »
This must be one of the ultimates in European style backing where little to no restoration is done.

A French 1P for The Maltese Falcon.

I think it could use a little TLC.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 06:08:28 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff