Author Topic: Adding extra folds for shipping - diamonddave2006  (Read 14943 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Adding extra folds for shipping - diamonddave2006
« on: December 18, 2009, 02:09:52 PM »
This actually happened to me this week.  I snagged a pretty cool Used Cars poster for $.99 plus $6 shipping off Ebay:  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220522942881

This d$ckhead seller (diamonddave2006) folded the poster an extra time to compress it for shipping.  This created 3 vertical folds, dividing the poster into 26 sections.   When I questioned him about it, he wrote the following:

"Yes, I folded it so it could be shipped. You paid $.99 for it, did you expect a museum piece? -diamonddave2006"

Needless to say, he received seriously negative feedback from me.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 04:16:17 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: Adding extra folds for shipping - diamonddave2006
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »
what a dork.  almost every time I deal with an ebay seller I don't know, I get a poster with some damage from poor packing.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 04:39:40 PM »
what a dork.  almost every time I deal with an ebay seller I don't know, I get a poster with some damage from poor packing.

I have had the same experience.

Clearly David Lee Roth wanted more $ for his Used Cars poster and was a wee bit upset.  Maybe he should just stick to Van Halen...
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 04:43:15 PM »
People do it all the time with large French posters to save on shipping.  They are already folded in 8, and they fold them again to make them fit a smaller envelope.  Unless I know them, I have to send emails to sellers (most of them are French) asking them not to refold the posters.  Most of the time, I get answers like: "But they are already folded.  What's an extra fold gonna do to you."  Drives me bonkers!

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 04:51:52 PM »
I sent him an email totally trashing him:

Dear diamonddave2006: You are obnoxious and stupid and ruined that poster by creating two extra vertical folds. I have purchased 300+ movie posters from Ebay sellers and you are the most asinine. I paid you $6 for shipping. It costs $4.90 to send an 11" by 15" envelope with two pieces of cardboard to protect it. There was absolutely no need to compress/refold it into a smaller envelope.  Also, if you're unhappy with the $.99 sales price, you should have priced it higher. Ebay is selling 100,000 movie posters and most receive minimum price bids, if any at all. I have left VERY APPROPRIATE negative feedback and mentioned your idiocy on a movie poster forum, so hopefully others will avoid dealing with you.

linder1

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »
I sent him an email totally trashing him:

Dear diamonddave2006: You are obnoxious and stupid and ruined that poster by creating two extra vertical folds. I have purchased 300+ movie posters from Ebay sellers and you are the most asinine. I paid you $6 for shipping. It costs $4.90 to send an 11" by 15" envelope with two pieces of cardboard to protect it. There was absolutely no need to compress/refold it into a smaller envelope.  Also, if you're unhappy with the $.99 sales price, you should have priced it higher. Ebay is selling 100,000 movie posters and most receive minimum price bids, if any at all. I have left VERY APPROPRIATE negative feedback and mentioned your idiocy on a movie poster forum, so hopefully others will avoid dealing with you.

Succinct, factual, awesome.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
I'm going to save it, change a few words here and there, and send it to anyone who attempts to fuck with me.

Now they'll know how I really feel.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 05:13:09 PM »
I just had a buyer ask me to FOLD a rolled poster to ship it to him. Seriously.

I wouldn't do it.

He won it for 99 cents and didn't really care......but I still couldn't do it.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
What poster was it, Dave?

T.
My Personal Collection

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 09:22:05 PM »
L.A. Story

cinemarts

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 05:58:07 AM »
If in any doubt, never by shy to ask/tell (politely, please) how you want a poster shipped.
They sometimes take no notice, and I know of no professional dealer who will object to this,
simply because at some time all dealers have received shoddily packed goods.

Folding a one panel again is absurd. Sounds more like the seller was pissed off that his poster sold for 99 cents.

Oddly, if one starts a sale at 99 cents, one should expect it and be happy to wear it.

Phil

movieposterodyssey

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 08:14:12 PM »
Yikes! Hard to imagine anyone thinking that would be cool. I woulda sent that right back,Mel.

Anthony

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 08:40:23 AM »
I have had the same experience from some knucklehead last year when I won a Wizards B sheet (wood fairy by Wm. Stout).  I have wanted one for years and I won it for under $20.  The hind-wipe folded it over and shipped it in a small envelope.  I went ballistic on him.  He blamed his wife for helping him.  The spineless twit refunded me the money and I kept the poster.

My pet shipping peeve is the one about the rolled poster that is not sleeved and comes with dings as a result, but that should go under a new topic, eh?
Off we go then....

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 04:51:15 AM »
Adding an extra fold is not quite the ticket, But unfortunatly in this country, Quads etc where quite often mailed with Front of house stills to the Theatre to save on postage. So an extra fold was added by the Distributor at source. Usually these are not as servier as the original folds, it's just par for the course.

This is one I picked up this week which has the extra folds as done at source.

It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 02:21:53 PM »
What about rolling a folded poster?

This folded poster came to me in a tube. Poor thing is trying to go in every direction at once. Too bad too cause otherwise its in pretty good shape.

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 02:31:48 PM »
I have found, a folded poster that has been rolled is a nightmare. I always flatten them out as I store 80% of my poster flat. This also saves wear on the folds that opening and closing them causes.
It's more than a Hobby...

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 03:24:57 PM »
What about rolling a folded poster?

This folded poster came to me in a tube. Poor thing is trying to go in every direction at once. Too bad too cause otherwise its in pretty good shape.

A couple of weeks I blessed out an Ebay seller for sending a folded poster TIGHTLY rolled. Stupid - they never really recover b/c you can't reverse roll them.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 11:51:31 PM »
Many of my older folded glossy posters are now rolled. They take a little extra to flatten out, but the crossfolds seem far better than if they had been stored folded.  Some of them actually look like tri-folds.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Adding extra folds for shipping
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 09:44:45 PM »
I received a poster that had been lightly folded one extra time, last Fall, for the very same reason - so the seller could get it into a smaller envelope.

If there was any good end result it was that the seller did not heavily crease this one new fold; it was more gently folded over. When i received it, i laid it out flat, placed it under some even weight (books) said a little poster prayer.gif, and in about 2-3 weeks, those other fold lines had all but vanished.  

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:48:54 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2016, 02:09:19 AM »
Did you pressure the guy into shipping it for under a dollar fifty?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2016, 03:12:23 AM »
Did you pressure the guy into shipping it for under a dollar fifty?

Nope.. and this parcel was also sent from the UK.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:23:33 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Adding extra folds for shipping
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
I guess the seller took the Royal Mail "small packets" term literally.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 01:42:17 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff