Author Topic: Flat Storage Boxes  (Read 17516 times)

El Duderino

Flat Storage Boxes
« on: December 06, 2014, 06:36:26 PM »
I've been looking for just basic cardboard poster storage box, but I've only been able to find these https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3807-flat-poster-storage-box.aspx they seem to be what I'm looking for and all, but I'm not about to drop $33 on a cardboard box (I know you can get them cheaper when you buy in bulk but I really only need one). Do you guys know of any other places that sell these boxes (or boxes like them) for less than $33?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Flat Storage Boxes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 06:38:39 PM »
let me know if you find such a beast

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 06:44:38 PM »
just looked at the costs

this is a perfect example of what I was explaining to someone who wanted to buy single hi-res download images from me last week (pulp magazine covers)

I sell them for $199 per disc of 50 from my site http://www.graffixmultimedia.com/
but I also offer single images by request. cost varies depending on what you're doing

For instance, Joe Blow doing an ad poster might pay $30 per image and Imax gives me $300 per image

so I told this guy for his project $30 each and he was wondering why they wouldn't be pro-rated against the $199 ($6.50 each)
I explained to him the $199 sets are on the server, you order and the server does all the work.
If you want a custom order, that requires my manual intervention, ergo, I must be paid for that time etc

I saw that BU is $33 for one box, but $55 for 3 and $90 for 6

so it's an example of how the labor for selling the one box is no different than the labor for selling a larger order

my suggestion.. BUY 3 BOXES!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 06:54:50 PM »
Whats interesting is that BU says this box will hold 25 flat posters, with backings.

Yet the outside dimensions are "41-1/4 x 27-1/2 x 3-1/4 (l x w x d) OD."

"This super sturdy, 275# test brown corrugated box allows for safe storage of 25 flat posters with backings."

Do they mean linen backings? Normally, the edge of linen left around a poster will be about 1/4-1/2 inch.

Or maybe they mean posters backed some other way, where the backing is trimmed to the same dimension as the poster itself?

And i agree... buying 3 would be the way to go!  18 bucks a piece isn't bad at all. thumbsup.gif
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:56:21 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 07:16:08 PM »
You could also buy one (or 2) sheets of acid free foam core (full sheets measure 48x96) and construct something that would hold not only US OS, but also larger sizes.

Ive been wanting to have something like this, too.. that had dimensions, ideally, to hold anything from a French 1P (47x63), and smaller.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 07:16:39 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 07:48:04 PM »
they mean if you bag them along with their cardboard sheets, however I suspect they have not measured the 25 boards with teh bags & posters and that at 3.5 inches depth they will get 23 in the box

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 07:54:07 PM »
they mean if you bag them along with their cardboard sheets, however I suspect they have not measured the 25 boards with teh bags & posters and that at 3.5 inches depth they will get 23 in the box

I read a couple reviews on the site where people commented that OS they had put in storage bags -- that the bag edges hung over beyond the dimensions of the box slightly:

5. Anonymous User on 5/23/2012, said:

Very good quality, and I was amazed that you were able to ship it without damage. However, the dimensions assume that you will be using backing boards with the posters which I did not. Therefore, the sleeves end up being slightly too wide for the box (since some of their width was not used for the thickness of the board). So the end result is not as tidy as I had hoped.

6. Anonymous User on 5/5/2012, said:

Large sleeves are too large for box

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 08:10:38 PM »
buy flat files <<< best solution

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »
Can i find a set for 33.00?  ;D

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 08:29:46 PM »
You could also buy one (or 2) sheets of acid free foam core (full sheets measure 48x96) and construct something that would hold not only US OS, but also larger sizes.

Ive been wanting to have something like this, too.. that had dimensions, ideally, to hold anything from a French 1P (47x63), and smaller.

Yep.  Someone already did something like that.  8)  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8284.0.html

The acid-free dealio sounds good, but in reality, large boards like that are very flimsy.  The insulated boards that I used are very sturdy.  

With the insulated boards, you could also probably cut side pieces and attach them with screws, and put hinges on one of the boards, so the setup is like a box.  I may try that when I have some more time, as the main drawback with this setup is that you can only move it around horizontally.  If you go tilt it vertically, the posters will slide out, although if there are sides on the box, tilting the box may damage the sides of the posters, prints, etc.

For larger size formats, it's pretty cool, but as Rich said, a flat file cabinet is the best for one sheets and similar formats.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 08:30:10 PM by NeoLoco »

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 08:52:13 PM »
Can i find a set for 33.00?  ;D

amazingly, I have paid as little as $15 for a flat file in as-new condition on Craigslist
I have 5 files
1 cost 15
2 cost 250 for the pair (these are the gigantic size)
2 others cost $100 for the pair (same gingantorious glory)

-------

El Duderino

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 09:45:09 PM »
I would buy 3, but if I buy 3 I'll feel like I have to fill them all, which will cost me even more money. lol.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 09:46:27 PM »
I would buy 3, but if I buy 3 I'll feel like I have to fill them all, which will cost me even more money. lol.

I'll bet there are some auctions that will appreciate your business
 sm1

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2014, 11:06:07 PM »
My progression...

1. keep folded posters folded, rolled posters rolled.
2. store them flat in a box (repurposed from shipping box from Hollywood Poster Frames -- thanks Sue!)
3. sandwich them between acid free foam core inside the shipping box
4. out grew one box, found a cheap craigslist flat file
5. got worried about rust, line with acid free paper and foam core
6. bought fancy pants new flat file

If it were me, I could still be happy with option 3.  It fit great under a bed and there was even room in the box for a layer of books to help press out folded and/or curled paper.  The only reason to move up to a flat file is if your collection gets large enough. 

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2014, 11:30:37 PM »
That's a cool progression from amateur to "the best bounty hunter in the galaxy."  cool1

Good thinking with the acid free foamcore inside a box.  That way it would be sealed from critters and what not.  I had thought about doing something similar before I made the insulated board sandwich gimmick, but at the time I didn't want to spend $200 (because the fewest one can buy is 10) for a box that would fit formats the size of bus shelters.

Anyway, this site has some different size boxes that would work for Dude.

http://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSearchResult.aspx?KeywordTyped=Painting%20Boxes&keywords=Painting%20Boxes

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 11:55:50 PM »
My progression...

1. keep folded posters folded, rolled posters rolled.
2. store them flat in a box (repurposed from shipping box from Hollywood Poster Frames -- thanks Sue!)
3. sandwich them between acid free foam core inside the shipping box
4. out grew one box, found a cheap craigslist flat file
5. got worried about rust, line with acid free paper and foam core
6. bought fancy pants new flat file

If it were me, I could still be happy with option 3.  It fit great under a bed and there was even room in the box for a layer of books to help press out folded and/or curled paper.  The only reason to move up to a flat file is if your collection gets large enough. 

Matt can you deliver me your old flat file on Christmas morning please?  (The things are very hard to find at reasonable prices in Canada and I fear it is time I acquired one)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 11:56:51 PM »
Yep.  Someone already did something like that.  8)  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8284.0.html

The acid-free dealio sounds good, but in reality, large boards like that are very flimsy.  The insulated boards that I used are very sturdy.  

With the insulated boards, you could also probably cut side pieces and attach them with screws, and put hinges on one of the boards, so the setup is like a box.  I may try that when I have some more time, as the main drawback with this setup is that you can only move it around horizontally.  If you go tilt it vertically, the posters will slide out, although if there are sides on the box, tilting the box may damage the sides of the posters, prints, etc.

For larger size formats, it's pretty cool, but as Rich said, a flat file cabinet is the best for one sheets and similar formats.

My thought was to use the 3/16" (or 3/8") foam core to create, basically a large, hinged folder, made large enough to store flat, French 1Ps and smaller, separated with acid free tissue paper. This way folded posters could be stored flat, without the worry of the fold-unfold damage happening, and rolled posters could also be more flattened. This, then, stored under the bed. At most it would be slid from under the bed, when poster access was needed.

I wouldn't use this to move the entire amount of posters from one place to another. It would be awkward and just too large, and as you mentioned, Brandon, not sturdy enough, to work well.   ;)

I like the design you came up with, too.   cool1  

Are you still utilizing that for your bus shelters?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 11:58:57 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2014, 02:44:58 AM »
go to a store that sells large flat televisions.
ask for a box.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2014, 03:52:12 AM »
ask for a box.

buy a large flat screen television

take it home, throw the tv out, use the box

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2014, 08:35:48 AM »
ask for a box.

Good idea. 

The biggest flat screen tv box I could find is for an 85" Sony and it's dimensions are about an inch smaller in width needed to store bus shelters flat, but for anyone who wants to store formats smaller than that, one of them tv boxes will work.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2014, 08:39:06 AM »
Matt can you deliver me your old flat file on Christmas morning please?  (The things are very hard to find at reasonable prices in Canada and I fear it is time I acquired one)

Sure, I put it in with your pile of posters.  FYI, shipping may be expensive  ;D

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2014, 08:50:04 AM »
My thought was to use the 3/16" (or 3/8") foam core to create, basically a large, hinged folder, made large enough to store flat, French 1Ps and smaller, separated with acid free tissue paper. This way folded posters could be stored flat, without the worry of the fold-unfold damage happening, and rolled posters could also be more flattened. This, then, stored under the bed. At most it would be slid from under the bed, when poster access was needed.

I wouldn't use this to move the entire amount of posters from one place to another. It would be awkward and just too large, and as you mentioned, Brandon, not sturdy enough, to work well.   ;)

I like the design you came up with, too.   cool1  

Are you still utilizing that for your bus shelters?

Yep.  It's cool because it just goes under the bed frame, instead of having a bunch of tubes taking up space in my humble abode.

With the added weight of a fair number of posters, just moving around a foamboard sandwich gimmick I feel better having a sturdy structure.  The acid-free foamcore used in frames is not nearly as durable as some insulated boards, but if you're just using a couple foamcore sheets, without a box, for a few posters, it might be OK.  I'm not a structural engineer or construction expert, but there's my $0.02.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 01:09:47 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 10:04:03 PM »
Sure, I put it in with your pile of posters.  FYI, shipping may be expensive  ;D

Just put on your Santa costume and deliver.  I won't even make you go down the chimney!
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 03:18:10 AM »
I have three TV boxes (and I don't even own a television) TAKE THAT WORLD! thumbsup.gif girly2.gif
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

El Duderino

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 11:43:04 PM »
Heads up for anyone who's interested. Those boxes I posted in the OP just went on sale (I haven't been able to find anything similar so the sale was enough to get me to pull the trigger).