Author Topic: Framing help -- Drymounting issue!!  (Read 7835 times)

Taskenlander

Framing help -- Drymounting issue!!
« on: November 25, 2014, 01:14:50 AM »
Okay, so first let me state that I'm not a poster collector for value/collect-ability. I simply love film posters and the ones I've wanted, I've bought and had professionally framed by what local mom 'n pop type stores were available to me. Also, let me state that I didn't stumble across this lil' site until a little while ago. By then, 90% of all my posters had already been framed.

Okay, now having said all that, here's my dilemma:

I've always had my movie posters drymounted to foamboard when having them framed as, years ago, I was told this would keep them straight and from becoming wavy or whatnot. Not thinking about value or possible res-sell-ability, I've always had them done this way. Occasionally, after time (or sometimes almost immediately), I'd notice little 'bubbles' in the print from where the prints became unglued or affixed to the foamboard. I'm starting to notice this more and more, again very minute little pockets of air here and there, but they are DRIVING ME F**KING NUTS!!!

Granted, I *do* live in almost southernmost United States, but like to think that we keep our house at a 'normal' temperature (is it just Louisiana humidity?). I'm trying to complete my dream, within my budget, "Man Cave/Game room", but before I can continue I want to, if at at possible, rectify or at least cease this problem from worsening/returning.

I recall taking a print back to the shop a few years ago due to this problem, and to my memory (this was years ago), they were able to "re-mount" it or whatever and the problem never returned, so perhaps all hope isn't lost?

Obviously, if I knew then what I do now, I would have done things completely different. But I have probably over $1,000 in these things and I want to salvage/fix them as best as I can.  :(

Any thoughts/suggestions on this? Whats the ideal way to frame a movie poster?? 

Thanks in advance,
Michael

gargoyle67

Re: Framing help -- Drymounting issue!!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 02:42:22 AM »
I'm guessing the high humidity is the cause of the bubbling issue, There's no reason your posters would just start to ripple and bubble other than moisture, is your glassing on the frames glass by any chance ?
If so it's like a magnet for any moisture in the air, I'd suggest getting a De-humidifier for your mancave. If taking them back and getting them re-mounted before worked in the past then do so again, Although I think by reading posts on this forum you already know glueing a valuable poster to foamboard is a mortal sin punishable by death of a thousand paper cuts  ;) 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:05:26 AM by gargoyle67 »

Taskenlander

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 02:54:05 AM »
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get that NOW.   :P

Yep, all frames have glass. Not to sound super-dumb, but what would be the alternative to glass? Plexi? And its not all my posters, just some (and growing  :(). Again, I never collected posters for value, just ascetics. But now these flaws, 'bubbles' are like a thorn in my eye...

Will look into a humidifier, but I have posters spread all throughout my two story home (over twenty). :(

Man, this bites...

Thanks for the feedback,
Mike

gargoyle67

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 03:02:04 AM »
Yes plexi with UV protection if possible so your posters won't fade, Although I bought some of this stuff as the custom frames I had very low UV protection>
I should have said a De-humidifier in my last post the last thing you need is a humidifier lol
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BS9BIK8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:06:41 AM by gargoyle67 »

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 09:01:37 AM »
My parents were portrait photographers and we dry mounted a lot of stuff.

I suspect the poster was never bonded to the board in those places.  It initially lay flat, but over time moisture crept in and caused the expansion.

Dry mounting to foam board is a bit tricky. Too much heat and you melt the foam core.  Not enough and the glue in the dry mounting tissue doesn't melt and bond to the poster and the board.

You can fix this yourself with a clothes iron and some patience.  Use the iron on a low to medium setting (synthetic fabric works).  Lay the poster flat and place a white linen cloth (dishtowel) over the affected area.  slowly run the iron over the affected area.  Keep it moving, and apply the heat for at least 30 seconds.  Press firmly, but not so much to crush the foam.  That should be sufficient to bond the glue. 

We used to set our dry mount press to around 260 degrees and keep it pressed down for 30-50 seconds, depending on the paper and size of area.  Poster paper is much thinner than photographic paper and the area you are working on is small, so 30 seconds should be sufficient.
-Jay-

Taskenlander

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 01:51:17 AM »
Thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable attempting that. :-\

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 01:31:55 PM »
Okay, so first let me state that I'm not a poster collector for value/collect-ability. I simply love film posters and the ones I've wanted, I've bought and had professionally framed by what local mom 'n pop type stores were available to me. Also, let me state that I didn't stumble across this lil' site until a little while ago. By then, 90% of all my posters had already been framed.

Okay, now having said all that, here's my dilemma:

I've always had my movie posters drymounted to foamboard when having them framed as, years ago, I was told this would keep them straight and from becoming wavy or whatnot. Not thinking about value or possible res-sell-ability, I've always had them done this way. Occasionally, after time (or sometimes almost immediately), I'd notice little 'bubbles' in the print from where the prints became unglued or affixed to the foamboard. I'm starting to notice this more and more, again very minute little pockets of air here and there, but they are DRIVING ME F**KING NUTS!!!

Granted, I *do* live in almost southernmost United States, but like to think that we keep our house at a 'normal' temperature (is it just Louisiana humidity?). I'm trying to complete my dream, within my budget, "Man Cave/Game room", but before I can continue I want to, if at at possible, rectify or at least cease this problem from worsening/returning.

I recall taking a print back to the shop a few years ago due to this problem, and to my memory (this was years ago), they were able to "re-mount" it or whatever and the problem never returned, so perhaps all hope isn't lost?

Obviously, if I knew then what I do now, I would have done things completely different. But I have probably over $1,000 in these things and I want to salvage/fix them as best as I can.  :(

Any thoughts/suggestions on this? Whats the ideal way to frame a movie poster??  

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Hi Mike..

Have you tried or attempted to remove any of your posters from the foam core backing boards yet?

Or just leaving things as is?

And how many of your posters have you had dry mounted over the years?

dontknow.gif

Jeff
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 01:37:30 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff