Author Topic: Is the Vintage Horror-Sci Fi market in the dumps?? You bet it is!!  (Read 14392 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
no doubt about it, the area of collecting - London After Midnight withstanding - is in the dumps..
DTESS - 1/2 price, CFTBL - 1/2 price
that math goes throughout the genre.. Lynn must be having fun today

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Is the Vintage Horror-Sci Fi market in the dumps?? You bet it is!!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 05:18:08 PM »
I think it's every area of the poster world and it makes me very happy.  Printed paper should not be that expensive to begin with.  About time!!!
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 01:47:46 PM »
I be dancing a jig.  Surprising what went for what.  BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS less than a grand.  IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, one sheet and half sheet for 600 beans not including BP.  Eyes wide open and jaw on the floor with the GHOST OF FRANKIE one sheet at 22K.  I know there aren't a lot of them out there but it is, IMHO, butt ugly and easily the worst art of any 40s Uni, all the other paper being much nicer. I did snag the MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG half sheet for the Pile-o-Paper™. 
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 09:14:58 PM »
SHIT, I don't collect the stuff, but BEAST 20K F is a special movie for me (nostalgia) MAYBE one day I will afford it! YAHOO
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 09:31:57 PM »
I be dancing a jig.  Surprising what went for what.  BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS less than a grand.  IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, one sheet and half sheet for 600 beans not including BP.  Eyes wide open and jaw on the floor with the GHOST OF FRANKIE one sheet at 22K.  I know there aren't a lot of them out there but it is, IMHO, butt ugly and easily the worst art of any 40s Uni, all the other paper being much nicer. I did snag the MAN THEY COULD NOT HANG half sheet for the Pile-o-Paper™. 

I'm sure of it Lynn.. collecting gets tough when your area increases in price.

and Ari, don't worry.. the poster is less than half what it was a few years ago. I have a three sheet, so I'm not looking for the 1 at this point, but I offered more than what the poster sold for a couple times in the past.. Sean said to me if I continue to wait, it will probably be cheaper yet and he's probably right. unfortunately

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 10:35:34 PM »

The Ghost result shouldn't surprise you Lynn - I'm sure you know that was the last one sheet Ron needed to finish his Universal collection (which gives you an idea on the rarity) and when I was trying to buy Don Glut's beat-up copy he topped my 20K offer at the last minute.
That one-sheet is missing from a few top collections.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »
Sean,
Ron has a GHOST when I was visiting/living on his couch this past June.  He didn't cough up that kinda loot for his, IIRC.  And it is rare that's for sure. 

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 04:26:22 PM »
Sean,
Ron has a GHOST when I was visiting/living on his couch this past June.  He didn't cough up that kinda loot for his, IIRC.  And it is rare that's for sure. 

Yes, he did - he just purchased it from Don a few years ago.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 04:29:52 PM »
I bow to your superior knowledge.  I may have miss heard what he said he paid (damn these bionic ears  ;D)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 05:38:14 PM »
Rich and Sean..

Since this thread was last commented in, back in 2014, how do each of you see the horror and sci fi market today, as compared to back then? Have things (prices) gotten better in these genres?

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 05:50:06 PM »
I wouldn't say prices have increased, but they have stabilized

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 08:24:12 PM »
Frankenstein - the 1960s US RR (green style) has looked to have climbed over the last number of years.

In 2006, HA sold a copy for $373.75:

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/horror/frankenstein-universal-r-1960s-one-sheet-27-x-41-horror-directed-by-james-whale-starring-colin-clive-mae-clarke-/a/56061-25072.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

And the most recent one they sold, excluding the one ending next Sunday, sold in July of 2016, for $717.00:

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/horror/frankenstein-universal-r-1960s-one-sheet-27-x-41-green-style/a/7128-86268.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

It will be interesting to see where this most recent copy being offered tops out.

-Jeff

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 10:19:04 PM »
HA is offering in its upcoming April Signature auction a one-sheet for Day the Earth Stood Still on linen with an estimate of 10 to 20K and another one-sheet for Creature from the Black Lagoon on linen with an estimate of 15K-30K (!).  It will be interesting to see if they get within that range, but those prices seem really high to me, especially for posters that A) aren't particularly rare, and B) which are on linen to boot.  In any case, such high estimates would seem to indicate that the vintage horror/sci-fi market isn't exactly in the dumps.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 11:46:23 PM »
It's always a delight to watch HA's auctions, and see how items like this fare, when compared to past auction results.

(As well as any all posters they auction, for that matter).  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 08:29:30 AM »
I find it difficult to talk about market trends when you have such a small sample size.  We have all seen posters that sell for $100 suddenly jump to $1000 for one auction and then drop back to $100 for the next one.

Its an auction, and the sale price is whatever 2 people want to spend on that day.  The uni stuff is rare enough that the bumps are more noticable, but the same principle applies.
-Jay-

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 10:42:27 AM »
Rich and Sean..

Since this thread was last commented in, back in 2014, how do each of you see the horror and sci fi market today, as compared to back then? Have things (prices) gotten better in these genres?

Seeing Blackie Seymour's collection being sold on ebay the past few months (featuring a lot of the Uni horror pieces you have pointed out - like the Mummy's Curse 3-sheet you just noted), it is very hard to say things have gotten better.

I'm sure some of the pieces will cycle through Heritage, so we will see how they do when shown to a wider audience with some notice that they are going to be offered.

I agree that the estimates on DTESS and Creature 1-sheets seem quite strong, we will see if they actually reach those levels
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 11:28:34 AM »
Seeing Blackie Seymour's collection being sold on ebay the past few months (featuring a lot of the Uni horror pieces you have pointed out - like the Mummy's Curse 3-sheet you just noted), it is very hard to say things have gotten better.

I'm sure some of the pieces will cycle through Heritage, so we will see how they do when shown to a wider audience with some notice that they are going to be offered.

I agree that the estimates on DTESS and Creature 1-sheets seem quite strong, we will see if they actually reach those levels

Thanks, Sean. Like anything, certain genres can be cyclical or more up and down, and that's why I was curious as to your "overview" on the genre, as a whole, over these last almost 4 years, since Rich had pointed out that the genre was in a dip-state.

Regarding examples and trend: And, of course, noting a few poster examples doesn't define a trend. The several mentioned above were used as just that - examples of how some in the horror genre have done recently compared to several years ago, or will do in the future (during the next auction etc).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:41:30 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 10:24:44 AM »
Jeff, I did see that 3-sheef for The Mummy's Curse on eBay, and I was tempted at first, but its overall condition made me decide not to bid on it with such a high starting bid.  It ended up not finding a buyer, so I guess I wasn't the only one who felt that way.  Too bad because at the right price, I would have bought it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-MUMMYS-CURSE-Universal-Three-Sheet-Poster-LON-CHANEY-MARTIN-KOSLECK/401488793469?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

Jeff, there's as good an example as any to your question if the market has recovered. Ten years ago, dealers would have been jumping over each other to buy that poster at the opening bid
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:51:35 PM by erik1925 »
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 10:49:17 AM »
I don't think it is a question of the market recovering - it is just the new reality.

The more Universal horror material that is released to the market obviously the higher the supply and consequently the lower the demand...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 12:35:56 PM »
I just checked on both HA and emp for past results on this one.

HA has only ever sold 2 first release copies, both linen backed. One sold in Nov of 2014 for $4182.50 and the other, in Nov. 2017, went for $2390.00

https://movieposters.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=54+790+231&Ntk=SI_Titles&Nty=1&Ntt=mummy%27s+curse+1944+three+sheet&limitTo=all&ic4=KeywordSearch-A-K-071316

And emp has never sold an original release 3 sh for this movie. (only one copy of the '51 Realart RR back in 2005).

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 12:36:22 PM »
I think the demand is still the same (even with the deaths of some higher-profile collectors and the Haggard fakes), but the equilibrium price has moved down.
subtle difference, but maybe an important one down the line.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 02:29:09 PM »
And with the 2 copies that HA has sold, plus the ebay copy and Ben's recent purchase, a total of 4 isn't exactly a number that would change the price on this item.

And, thanks Sean and Chris, for the replies.

So it seems it's likely just a settling of prices overall, in a lower strata and price point. And perhaps they will shoot up again at some point and time.

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »
When these movies were shown in the broadcast TV package, I remember my friends and I all begging our parents to let us stay up and watch them. Part of that desire was also wondering what our Oklahoma City Horror Host, John "Count Gregore" Ferguson, would say.  I know watching those Universal Horror movies late at night, with a roaring fire going in the fireplace certainly has helped drive my desire to own some of these posters.  I'm not so sure the younger collectors have that experience as much with Universal Horror. Also, I agree with others who have also talked about so much more electronic entertainment options today.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »
I think the demand is still the same (even with the deaths of some higher-profile collectors and the Haggard fakes), but the equilibrium price has moved down.
subtle difference, but maybe an important one down the line.

I guess when Feiertag sells one of his that are listed on ebay, (with the prices he has many of them listed at), some might do a double take. But then again, he's got things priced more to "list and show" rather than really wanting to sell. But it would be cool to see someone, somewhere, snatch up one of his multi-platinum priced, UNI horror pieces. 

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2018, 04:19:39 PM »
The problem with that is Todd doesn't want to sell anything. For him it's all about having and keeping it. Nobody in their right mind would spend the amounts of money he wants. Which is why he "tried" to offer the BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN advance for auction at Heritage for 3/4 of a million dollars. He knew damn well nobody would buy it for that price, so he gets to keep it. If he was serious about selling some of his prime pieces, Jim Gresham, Kirk Hammett and other deep pocketed collectors would be lined up outside his house waiting to buy. And as we know, Todd has a lot of major pieces.