Author Topic: Van Sabben Auction  (Read 4919 times)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Van Sabben Auction
« on: November 15, 2014, 08:12:33 PM »
The Cassandre Poster l’Intransigeant has been auctioned for € 210.000 (hammer price).  It’s an absolute record for a Cassandre Poster. The reserve was € 25.000, the price exploded within seconds. A.M. Cassandre is considered as the best Art Deco poster designer of all times.  Wowza.

http://www.vansabbenauctions.nl/poster_auction/page.php?ID=1369&lang=
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:13:46 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Van Sabben Auction
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 08:51:47 PM »
That's quite the result!
Chris

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 06:42:45 AM »
Dash it! I've often admired this poster and I knew it would be expensive - certainly well beyond the reach of most mortals - but that is bewilderingly impressive. This is what happens when a poster transcends the category and is re-evaluated as 'modern art' - it starts to assume modern art prices.
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 12:43:04 PM »
Amazing result... wow!

What is it about this poster that would have caused it to shoot to the stratosphere like this?

It has very cool and interesting art... being a poster, do other known copies also exist?

Or is this an only known copy?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:47:31 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 01:33:31 PM »
Well Cassandre produced a lot of stylish posters covering some of the favourite deco choices of vintage poster collectors - trains, liners, alcohol etc. I'm not sure that the poster is a one off as I've been aware of the image for years - but it is obviously very very rare. It's advertising a french newspaper of the period; hence the graphic references to telegraph lines and Hermes the messenger. It even appears on certain medallions. As we were discussing previously, this is when posters become art and occupy a level above that of photorealism.
Nick
Utter gent.