Author Topic: Digging out a few advertising posters  (Read 51496 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Digging out a few advertising posters
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 02:43:05 PM »
Good lord! My sincere apologies EB!!

Alright... a few things here and I will give you the benefit of the doubt because you're new.

1) I'm a Parisian who moved to sunny Southern Cal. because he was fed up with the French bullshit.
2) I'm a dude.  Do you really think a chick would collect Bardot, Kinski, Deneuve, Cardinale and others?  I do not collect John Wayne or Humphrey Bogart for fuck sake.
3) My name is Thierry, or T.  Not EatBrie or EB.
4) I co started this board so you better behave and do your homework.
5) Enjoy.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Mirosae

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 03:05:24 PM »
 I do not collect John Wayne or Humphrey Bogart

T

Never occurred to me that those were more appealing for "female" collectors. But i actually think you are right.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 03:09:52 PM »
Its also been T's time of the month this week!   :-* watch out!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:10:19 PM by jedgerley »

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2014, 03:39:35 PM »
Apologies again Thierry but...

1) I'm a Brit who hasn't moved away from Europe because he loves it.
2) I'm a gent. I know those names but why wouldn't a woman collect those particular people? And to be fair I couldn't honestly name the lady in your snap.  Remember too that I collect Victorian and Edwardian posters not film ones...hence I've joined the 'allposters' website.
3) Where would I have found your name? It wasn't to be seen on your postings and I couldn't find it on your profile hence me drawing on the only information I found available to avoid seeming rude.
4) I always behave and do my homework rather well thank-you as I happen have a degree in both English Literature and History.
5) I most certainly will but (ahem) I never swear.

N
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:44:36 PM by monocle »
Nick
Utter gent.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2014, 07:20:49 PM »
Never occurred to me that those were more appealing for "female" collectors. But i actually think you are right.

It might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I for one take more pleasure looking at and collecting posters of beautiful women than I do men.  Except for Bieber (before Chris makes a comment.)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2014, 10:58:44 PM »
Further to my own defence, I ought to add that my own avatar isn't a million miles away from what I actually look like. Well perhaps the odd ten thousand miles or so.

This makes me happy.

I look just like my avatar as well
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2014, 11:00:29 PM »
It might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I for one take more pleasure looking at and collecting posters of beautiful women than I do men.  Except for Bieber (before Chris makes a comment.)

T

Damn you Thierry always ruining my fun!
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2014, 12:48:16 AM »
scary thing is I look like my avatar also.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2014, 01:08:47 AM »
scary thing is I look like my avatar also.

Yep - colourful, square, arseless
Chris

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2014, 03:20:07 PM »
A poster for the childrens' periodical 'Little Folks' which was sold in the UK between 1871 and 1933. Illustrated by Harry B. Neilson ('er, not the one who thinks everybody's taking about him) who was a very popular British cartoonist as opposed to a celebrated poster artist. I seem to remember seeing these animals somewhere before so I can only assume that the featured characters come directly from strips he illustrated for that and other magazines. Lord knows how they ended up there but one article I read reports that the Los Angeles UCLA library has no less than 325 of his original drawings...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:40:33 PM by monocle »
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2015, 06:44:28 PM »
A poster for the childrens' periodical 'Little Folks' which was sold in the UK between 1871 and 1933. Illustrated by Harry B. Neilson ('er, not the one who thinks everybody's taking about him) who was a very popular British cartoonist as opposed to a celebrated poster artist. I seem to remember seeing these animals somewhere before so I can only assume that the featured characters come directly from strips he illustrated for that and other magazines. Lord knows how they ended up there but one article I read reports that the Los Angeles UCLA library has no less than 325 of his original drawings...

This is great, Nick. Very fun!!

What size is it?

-Jeff

Offline joemustang65

• Hobbyist
  • Nothing is new only forgotten (Tyla)
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »
Sadly you can see the effect the original metal hanging bands are having on it. Not sure whether it would devalue the poster to have these removed during the course of restoration? Any thoughts?

Cut them off!

They are hard to remove without damaging the paper underneath (I know I tried) and most times the underlaying paper is not worth saving (rust spots,...) ....
Leaving them there, does more damage to other posters when stocking or rolled in might end up with oxidation in the middle of your design.... And then I'm not even talking of framing with those metal stuff in the way ...
To only difference will be the width of the borders, but since none of the borders has text in it, you will have it framed with an even visual size of width , so once framed you will not be able to tell that top / bottom borders are smaller

So imo cut it off, get the poster cleaned and backed (and framed off course)

Nice stuff , love it , but they all with look a lot better with some (small) touch up  
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 03:21:08 PM by joemustang65 »

Offline joemustang65

• Hobbyist
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 05:04:25 PM »
And this is what happens if you leave them rolled to long with the hangers in a moist room .....

What a waiste ....

Mirosae

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2016, 05:06:46 PM »
^ Good Lord.  Joe, that hurts. Is that yours... It looks quite sad...

Offline joemustang65

• Hobbyist
Digging out a few advertising posters
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2016, 04:57:51 AM »
Rosa,
No, it was for sale last year with 2/3 other ocean liner posters in the same lot.
At least two of them are very rare (expensive) posters, so at least worth the extra restoration costs.
I checked with Dario for the costs before bidding, placed a bid accordingly but didn't win it.
Dario told me since damag was in main design, it would still be visible after restoration, so an other thing to take into account.
I wonder what happened with them haven't seen them re-auctioned though.

This was an other one in the lot, I owned one of this in perfect condition (still on the hangers without damage) but sold it to a Dutch friend/collector of Dutch Steamers.....
Btw he cut off the hangers straight away .....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2016, 01:47:01 PM »
Joe, in the pic above, is that split in the poster along a fold, where the split edges have begun to curl outward a bit, making the "gap" look wider than it really is?

Or is that amount of paper actually missing?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:47:25 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2016, 03:14:40 PM »
Rosa,
No, it was for sale last year with 2/3 other ocean liner posters in the same lot.
At least two of them are very rare (expensive) posters, so at least worth the extra restoration costs.
I checked with Dario for the costs before bidding, placed a bid accordingly but didn't win it.
Dario told me since damag was in main design, it would still be visible after restoration, so an other thing to take into account.
I wonder what happened with them haven't seen them re-auctioned though.

This was an other one in the lot, I owned one of this in perfect condition (still on the hangers without damage) but sold it to a Dutch friend/collector of Dutch Steamers.....
Btw he cut off the hangers straight away .....

Thank Joe, very interesting to read this. I see why you wanted it. I do as you did, calling Dario before buying anything - he is so reliable.

These pieces are very much sought after here, so I think these could go for a good price when restored.

Could I ask you how much these went for? Feel free to ignore the question - dont mean to be indiscreet, just curious.

Thank you for sharing these photos, very interesting.

Offline joemustang65

• Hobbyist
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2016, 11:21:20 AM »
@erik: i think split open, didn't inspect them in person ...
@rosa: if I remind well the lot sold around 900 euro plus hammer ....
The Dutch one is worth around 1700-2500 in good condition...
The red star line probably a bit less but no sale record of that one ....
(But a rough restoration estimate was 800/1000 each .... )

Offline joemustang65

• Hobbyist
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2016, 11:25:13 AM »
@erik: hard to tell by this pic, might be paperloss....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2016, 12:47:56 PM »
Great close up shots there, again, joe.

Yeah.. it looks like a combo of split, being curled and paper loss. But that poster sure is a beauty.

-Jeff