Music and Theater Posters > Show Us Your Collection!

Theatre selection

(1/16) > >>

monocle:
A pretty recent acquisition and one of the few American posters I have in my collection. I love Victorian melodrama and I think this is pretty well as good as it gets. The image comes from the show 'Blue Jeans' and it shows the celebrated scene in which the villain (curiously clean-shaven) ties our hero (amazingly moustache-laden) to the buzz-saw. This is the show that started all the buzz saw parodies that were to follow in decades to come, so you can see why I was so pleased to stumble across it!

monocle:
A later Victorian version of a celebrated play entitled 'The Octoroon'. This first appeared on the American stage in 1859 and toured for some years. The storyline features a mixed race couple and it caused a lot of unrest in the days leading up to the civil war. The USA version apparently ended with a tragic split but in the UK and elsewhere the couple were happily reunited at the end of the play.

erik1925:
Very nice pieces, monocle.  thumbsup.gif

What are the dimensions of each of those posters?

monocle:
Believe it or not Jeff, I haven't the foggiest! It's not something I always make a note of. The British ones are a pretty standard size for a UK theatre single sheet poster I think? About 30 inches by 20 inches?

Oh, and here's another. 'A Brace of Partridges' dating from 1897. Who cares whether it was any good or not when you've got such a grand interpretation of what it's like to be soaked to the skin!

monocle:
A rather curious poster for a production (1890s?) of W S Gilbert's play 'Pygmalion and Galatea'. The curious thing about this one is that the poster artist has consciously decided to lampoon the art style of Aubrey Beardsley - even to the point of using the fake satirical and mocking signature 'Weirdsly Daubery'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version