Author Topic: Who Do you Recommend?  (Read 5772 times)

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
Who Do you Recommend?
« on: October 31, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »
I want to restore my poster below, but would like some recommendations , and general idea on the price it would be to restore it.. My Buddy Ken Recommended Posterfix , but I quickly decided against that ager reading the horror posts , and the F he got on the BBB website... I found a guy in Chicago at Poster Plus named Vince Newkirk , is he a reputable restorer?    How much work does my poster need , as I have never had a poster restored.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: Who Do you Recommend?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
I've never seen that poster and have perused many a propaganda page.  Out of curiosity where did you get it?  The size alone makes it very rare.  Maybe you can try and get some info from a collector in Germany or WW1 militaria experts.  Just say you're thinking about auctioning and after an adequate amount of drool they'll cough up some info.

It looks to be in very good condition, I'll let others comment on prices, but linenbacking a large piece with all the fixins (wash, de-acify and correct missing pieces) would surely take you back a grand+ easy.  That said, i believe you could get several thousand for the final piece.  I would have it appraised before doing anything at all. 

Got any more?  Do you share all your pics with right reserved?   ;)
Well done - scary bolsheviks for Halloween

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 10:25:39 PM »
AVOID POSTERFIX AT ALL COSTS!

Most restorers will give you a quote if you contact them with detailed pics and a description of what you would like done.

Since it's a larger poster (you mentioned nearly 5 feet in height in the other thread?) some restorers may refuse it.

There is a thread on APF that lists all the reputable and recommended companies...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:33:43 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 10:26:36 PM »
Chris

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 10:27:42 PM »

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 10:50:57 PM »
I've never seen that poster and have perused many a propaganda page.  Out of curiosity where did you get it?  The size alone makes it very rare.  Maybe you can try and get some info from a collector in Germany or WW1 militaria experts.  Just say you're thinking about auctioning and after an adequate amount of drool they'll cough up some info.

It looks to be in very good condition, I'll let others comment on prices, but linenbacking a large piece with all the fixins (wash, de-acify and correct missing pieces) would surely take you back a grand+ easy.  That said, i believe you could get several thousand for the final piece.  I would have it appraised before doing anything at all. 

Got any more?  Do you share all your pics with right reserved?   ;)
Well done - scary bolsheviks for Halloween

I purchased the poster from an Austrian seller, and I think I got a great deal on it.....I have no plans to sell it as I collect Jewish Propaganda posters, this will be my second... The seller had the all rights reserved on it when he sent me the pics, but I just purchased it last night so I am safe...  This poster will greet me every morning when I wake up :)   The Guy Vince Newkirk gave me a quote of 180$ for a 40x60 linen back and 85$ an hour restoration, just not sure how much restoration is needed... I just want to make sure its done right... Im hoping to get it done for 5 or 600.. am I in the ballpark?

Thanks for the comments!!!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 10:52:39 PM »
Mac, what are the exact dimensions of your poster, in inches... and how exactly do you want it to look when done? Do you want it backed so the folds and creases are diminished? Do you want the damaged corners fixed? Or left as is?

It sounds like it could be about the size of  French 1P (approx 47 x 63 inches for many). If so, PM charges $275.00 for the backing of a poster that size alone. Baths like washing and de-acidifying will be extra, and restoration services are $80/hr (http://www.postermountain.com/pricing.html)

Another I would highly recommend is Maria Cueva, owner and restorer of Lumiere Poster Restoration (http://lumiereposter-restoration.com/index.html). Call or email him with pics and he will give you a solid estimate.

Pricing will depend on what you want done and how you want it to look and be, once completed.  ;)

And this sure is an interesting anti-Bolshevik poster that the NSDAP produced. Here are other versions that were done, as well:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 11:03:53 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 10:56:36 PM »
AVOID POSTERFIX AT ALL COSTS!

Most restorers will give you a quote if you contact them with detailed pics and a description of what you would like done.

Since it's a larger poster (you mentioned nearly 5 feet in height in the other thread?) some restorers may refuse it.

There is a thread on APF that lists all the reputable and recommended companies...

I just read the HORROR stories on this guy, not a chance!!!!   Why would someone refuse the poster because of its size ?  I stand corrected the poster is just a tad over 4 feet tall..

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »
Mac, what are the exact dimensions of your poster, in inches... and how exactly do you want it to look when done? Do you want it backed so the folds and creases are diminished? Do you want the damaged corners fixed? Or left as is?

It sounds like it could be about the size of  French 1P (approx 47 x 63 inches for many). If so, PM charges $275.00 for the backing of a poster that size alone. Baths like washing and de-acidifying will be extra, and restoration services are $80/hr (http://www.postermountain.com/pricing.html)

Another I would highly recommend is Maria Cueva, owner and restorer of Lumiere Poster Restoration (http://lumiereposter-restoration.com/index.html). Call or email him with pics and he will give you a solid estimate.

Pricing will depend on what you want done and how you want it to look and be, once completed.  ;)

And this sure is an interesting anti-Bolshevik poster that the NSDAP produced. Here is another version that was done, as well:

Bud I want this poster looking like it just left a tube :) I don't want any creases showing , and I would like the corner fixed... I figure If I am gonna do it I want it done right...    The poster is 125.8 cm x  92.8 cm  , so just a tad over 4 feet tall ...

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 11:12:09 PM »
The poster will complete my Exhibit guide and postcard :)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 11:27:59 PM »
Ok now you're just rubbing it in...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 11:45:45 PM »

I just read the HORROR stories on this guy, not a chance!!!!   Why would someone refuse the poster because of its size ?  I stand corrected the poster is just a tad over 4 feet tall..

Some restorers just prefer to work with smaller sizes or do not have the set up to back larger posters
Chris

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2014, 12:02:36 AM »
Some restorers just prefer to work with smaller sizes or do not have the set up to back larger posters

I understand now, it definitely makes sense ... I think I am gonna use the guy in Vancouver based off all the info I just read on him, only thing I am worried about is he is in Canada ,and the poster getting lost in customs...

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 12:03:49 AM »
Ok now you're just rubbing it in...

Never, I don't have enough in my collection to rub anything in  :)  Im new to this hobby , and figure if you are gonna do it , you do it right the first time..

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 12:08:30 AM »
I understand now, it definitely makes sense ... I think I am gonna use the guy in Vancouver based off all the info I just read on him, only thing I am worried about is he is in Canada ,and the poster getting lost in customs...

A wise choice with Dario!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2014, 01:09:10 AM »
Cool.. then that will give the restorer you choose what he needs to know: to make it look like it was printed yesterday...  thumbsup.gif

A good plan...

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2014, 10:07:44 AM »

Mario Cueva (not Maria) is good. Dario too. And like you I was worried about shipping. It is normal to worry. But nothing has yet happened to any of mine. Touch wood.

Both made it very easy. You are in safe hands.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »
Its Canada, not Cambodia. You will be fine.   thumbsup.gif

Mirosae

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2014, 11:25:57 AM »

Sorry...oh dear me....that ^ made me  laugh1

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2014, 01:32:34 PM »
Somehow I deleted the pics, here it is again ..

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 01:34:49 PM »

If it was Toronto no problem. I would just drive it there ,and pick it up.....  I sent Dario an email..  I am just waiting on a response :)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »
Good luck with that fella.  Would love to see that when it's all polished up.

I agree on the sentiment that if it's going to be linen backed, then it should look like it just left the tube.  Unrestored is also fine, but if the choice is to restore, or at least linen back it, I don't understand the, what Bruce calls it, the European restoration whereby something is cleaned and backed, but not touched up.

My one opinion of many I daresay...

A belated welcome to the forums btw, glad you're all hooked up with the Bucket machinations now.

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2014, 12:11:03 AM »
Once its done I will be happy to post the results, Dario got back to me and gave me a rough estimate of 500 to make her whole again, just a ballpark until he actually sees it in person...

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 03:00:06 PM »
If you're close to Toronto then you might want to contact Dan Miles up in Port Perry.  He's currently working on 3 posters of mine ... went to his studio and his work looks fantastic.  Here's his website:  http://www.backingtothefuture.com/

Offline Mac-Apple

• Beginner
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 06:30:01 PM »
it looks like I am going to use POSTERMOUNTAIN, Dario said it was just 2 inches to big for his bath ... I just got the poster in the mail today , and can't believe how awesome it is!!!