Author Topic: Has anyone seen....  (Read 8454 times)

gargoyle67

Has anyone seen....
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:30:03 PM »
Drew: The Man Behind the Poster docu ? looks amazing>

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Has anyone seen....
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 11:24:38 PM »
Drew: The Man Behind the Poster docu ? looks amazing>

Yep it's a good one!

Was actually going to post this so thanks to you
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:27:32 PM »
Was mentioned here too, in July  ;) :

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6524.0.html

Looks like a great docu, too.

clap
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 11:29:36 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

gargoyle67

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 03:40:02 AM »
Thought it might have been, Just watched the 1st 5 mins, Seems very well done  bed1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 12:07:02 PM »
I know... it is definitely on my 'to watch' list, too.

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 10:13:47 PM »
I know... it is definitely on my 'to watch' list, too.

Drew seems to be a very interesting character...learned some things I never would have expected.
Chris

gargoyle67

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 07:10:01 AM »
Yeah, Pretty stunning that his parents didn't love\want him, Why have a kid if you don't want one  :-\

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 03:22:31 PM »
Heres the full movie:

Drew: The Man Behind The Poster (2013)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/X2CM6sfU3m4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/X2CM6sfU3m4</a>
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 03:23:33 PM by jedgerley »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 09:18:10 AM »
Thanks for posting this; the fact it is on Netflix US, but not Netflix UK was a source of frustration.

That said, having seen it, I must admit to thinking it was a little saccharin and sychophantic.  After the 382nd time of being told how 'Struzan just nailed it', I was looking for some more facts outside of JUST a glossing over of his family life and a similarly glossing over of the business deal that he was taken for a ride on.

The piece came across as an hour and a half's worth of EPK video short to promote a movie by telling everyone how wonderful everyone else was.  To be sure, Struzan seems like the easiest going and friendliest guy on the planet, but I was hoping for more insight into the introductions, the choices, the processes, the trials and errors.  This 'Aw shucks' approach could have been just as adequately covered in 30 minutes.

5/10

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 06:38:54 AM »
They're very good graphic images and the characters are all realistically portrayed within the various montages. I'm sure they sold their respective films brilliantly but to go off on a tangent, I'm not totally sure whether they would stretch to the stage of being described as poster 'art'. That's not to denigrate them because they surely achieved their purpose and convey the 'energy' of their respective movies but do they go beyond being strong representational images? Just got me musing...
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »
They're very good graphic images and the characters are all realistically portrayed within the various montages. I'm sure they sold their respective films brilliantly but to go off on a tangent, I'm not totally sure whether they would stretch to the stage of being described as poster 'art'. That's not to denigrate them because they surely achieved their purpose and convey the 'energy' of their respective movies but do they go beyond being strong representational images? Just got me musing...

One thing is for certain they are a hell of a lot more inspired than the usual main-stars-giant-head-photo-montage on many, many posters...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »

I would suggest that just because the images are strong likenesses of the characters in the films, (and are very much like oil portraits that were painted in centuries past -- and are these not considered pieces of "fine art," today?), Struzan's work is true "art" in that each was created on board or canvas, by his own hand with paint, brush, airbrushes, water color pencils, etc).

None of his posters are cobbled, cut and pasted photo images or digital creations as is so often done today. 

-Jeff

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »
It's a question that has always interested me. Does the ability to create portraits which are almost hyperrealistic ultimately mean that you are producing a work which could easily mistaken for and therefore replaced by a photographic collage? In other words , where is the creatively human - rather than, say, reproductive - element of the image?
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
I believe it lies in the fact that Struzan, like many other talented artists, can create portraiture for film posters if that was what the producers wanted. But he can paint anything (any image, not just faces). If you look at some of his other works, he can paint ships, battles, fighter craft, and create energy and emotion with those elements as well.

The painted images are not quite like photos.. they actually have something more, as both he and many of his clients (Lucas, Spielberg) mention in the documentary. Struzan captures "something," that might have been lacking, had a photo of the same image or actor been used on the poster.

-Jeff