Author Topic: Double glassing  (Read 8979 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Double glassing
« on: October 24, 2014, 06:52:58 AM »
Further to Tob and Mirosae's questions in the Halloween thread....

If, for a larger poster, you decide to have a frame with depth to add strength to the Height and Width, and if you don't go for a mat, then to keep the poster flat against the backing board you use a sheet of glass.

And then the second sheet of glass is used to seal the front of the frame from the rear.

Not sure these images can do the abaove explanation any justice as all you see is the depth of frame, but then with glass toward the front of the frame...

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 06:59:57 AM by Simes »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Double glassing
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 07:33:50 AM »
Confused.
So...

Poster with glass in front of it. Then a space of air, then a second layer of glass (further from poster- closer to your eyes as you look at it). Like double glazing?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 07:54:53 AM »
Exactly like that - the best description by far.  Wish I had thought of it.

Searching online though, double glass is sometimes used if you want to see the wall behind the frame, so the art appears to float.  Not so in what I was tring to describe.

Mirosae

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 10:26:13 AM »
It looks fantastic Simes. I only have a couple of frames with depth and I love the look. I am very eclectic when it comes to frames, I pic whatever I think it suits the poster. Never thought about DG..

Yours looks really nice. Can i ask how heavy is it? It looks like you can see it perfectly well too..  thumbsup.gif

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 04:22:25 PM »
Hi,

Not sure how heavy it is in terms of Kgs, but it feels solid, which I like.  I have a From Russia French poster from the erstwhile framer which is posted around here somewhere; it looks fine but it is not as solid as the Saint poster.  The French poster, to be fair, is smaller though.

That said, via the framing of the French poster, I was introduced to non-reflective glass which is lovely.  So, any blemishes in the Saint poster are not 'blemishes' but reflection.

It is definitely the way to go...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 04:28:32 PM »
Only caution is that you can't use non-glare in a double glass configuration.  The printed material needs to be pressed tightly against the back of the glass or the image will be diffused.
-Jay-

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 05:23:19 PM »
I don't think yuo need to double it, but that's a personal preference

however, glass or plexi?

glass transfers heat, plexi does not.

I have removed all glass from my frames in teh past few years

My 1952R Kong 1sh for instance was under glass and in direct contact. After 20 years, the poster was now brittle because of the heat transfer and I had to have Dario linenback it for me for preservation

you only have to read my posts to see what I think about linenbacking in general to know how serious the issue was

don't use glass

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 04:02:17 AM »
Hi,
Not sure how heavy it is in terms of Kgs, but it feels solid, which I like.  I have a From Russia French poster from the erstwhile framer which is posted around here somewhere; it looks fine but it is not as solid as the Saint poster.  The French poster, to be fair, is smaller though.

That said, via the framing of the French poster, I was introduced to non-reflective glass which is lovely.  So, any blemishes in the Saint poster are not 'blemishes' but reflection.
It is definitely the way to go...
Thanks. It certainly looks great. I take note..!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 12:05:43 PM »

however, glass or plexi?

My 1952R Kong 1sh for instance was under glass and in direct contact. After 20 years, the poster was now brittle because of the heat transfer and I had to have Dario linenback it for me for preservation

you only have to read my posts to see what I think about linenbacking in general to know how serious the issue was

don't use glass

Such a good point to remember, too, Rich.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »
Great point, and stupid of me to have used glass on some good pieces I have. I would think that could be less of an issue though if storage temperature is properly controlled.  I can see a poster getting brittle if it was in a room on a wall with a lot of light after 20 years, but say a room/basement thats always at 75 and not in the sun. I dont see that happening after all those years, I could be wrong though.

however, glass or plexi?

don't use glass

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 03:02:09 PM »
Great point, and stupid of me to have used glass on some good pieces I have. I would think that could be less of an issue though if storage temperature is properly controlled.  I can see a poster getting brittle if it was in a room on a wall with a lot of light after 20 years, but say a room/basement thats always at 75 and not in the sun. I dont see that happening after all those years, I could be wrong though.

the Kong poster was never in anything other than a windowless room and I like it a cool 76 degrees

one more point, if you do use double-glass (plexi)
did you ever notice there is a small pinhole in windows down in a corner. This pinhole helps to prevent condensation between the glasses

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 05:52:53 PM »
Thanks Simes, that's interesting, not seen this technique before. Most of my framed pieces are prints where they can't be in contact with the glass/plexi (for fear the ink/paint may stick to the glass), so spacers or mats are used.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 06:30:49 PM »
Thanks Simes, that's interesting, not seen this technique before. Most of my framed pieces are prints where they can't be in contact with the glass/plexi (for fear the ink/paint may stick to the glass), so spacers or mats are used.

yeah, after 20 years, the glass did indeed have a light reverse imprint of my Kong poster on it and could not be recycled
it did not windex off. I wonder if I still have the glass up in the loft at the warehouse??? hmmm.
if I do, I wonder if I can photograph it against a white background to show???

I'll have to look.

-------

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 01:05:13 PM »
And two other points about glass; could be very dangerous when getting into the larger formats if the frame falls or you do something stupid like I did and try and hang it by yourself when it is clearly a two man job. And second, your poster could be destroyed if the frame were to fall. Again, in my case, I know for a fact that if I didn't have plexi overlays my poster would have been torn to pieces. You never think its going to happen until it does. 
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry
www.SpotlightDisplays.com

Mirosae

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 01:09:59 PM »
Good point. One day I will get a 6 sheet.  I will do it "A la Ari".. no glass i will use it as wallpaper ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2014, 01:11:42 PM »
Glass shards are not kind to either skin or poster paper...  crying

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »
Good point. One day I will get a 6 sheet.  I will do it "A la Ari".. no glass i will use it as wallpaper ;D

Actually this raises a good question as I've been trying to stick shitty worthless posters I have in the basement stairwell...  So far i've used tape and thumbtacks, but ideally i'd like a pasted collage look - anyone know what sort of glue they use to stick all them street posters?  I can't imagine they use plain wall paper glue?  Don't they dip the whole poster in and flatten them out with a squeegee?

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2014, 09:26:34 PM »
the Kong poster was never in anything other than a windowless room and I like it a cool 76 degrees

one more point, if you do use double-glass (plexi)
did you ever notice there is a small pinhole in windows down in a corner. This pinhole helps to prevent condensation between the glasses

Interesting, I never noticed that. Is that something that should always be done when double glassing? Should all framer's be doing this?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2014, 09:40:55 PM »
all framed items should be allowed to breath

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2014, 03:55:01 PM »
Actually this raises a good question as I've been trying to stick shitty worthless posters I have in the basement stairwell...  So far i've used tape and thumbtacks, but ideally i'd like a pasted collage look - anyone know what sort of glue they use to stick all them street posters?  I can't imagine they use plain wall paper glue?  Don't they dip the whole poster in and flatten them out with a squeegee?

Just an update to answer my own question.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2014, 04:01:29 PM »
This is more like Double Pasting, Vick.  ;D

-Jeff

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 02:20:43 PM »
WTH?? hahahaha.