Author Topic: In need of Clerks Poster  (Read 32420 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: In need of Clerks Poster
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2014, 03:32:36 PM »
This is not correct.  There absolutely are differences.  I believe that it's a size/cropping difference, at a minimum.  Dan R. had a full write up about them. Dave L. did them same. (For those that do not know - pretty much everything on Mel's site regarding Authentication, as helpful as it is, is a pale imitation of what Dan did and Dan was FAR more careful about sourcing his originals.  That there is confusion on this point is exactly why Neo's endless trolling in thread has been detrimental.

It's a commercial reprint that happened at the time of opening, to be sold to the public via in theater and other channels.  The original one sheets were sent to theaters and for theatrical use a bit before opening, so, yes, there is a very slight and relatively meaningless time difference. 

At the time (1994), Miramax was testing out different way to make cash via posters.  They sold a ton of 'original' posters for The Crow directly to comic shops to the point that they were having difficulty getting them to theaters.

I've never considered Fan club issues or Killian's as anything other than commercial prints, which are relatively  worthless (to me).

The difference is whether or not these things were intended to be used in a theater and in some form of advertising context.

Do you have an original for comparison?  I thought I remember reading earlier in the thread that you did, but that you didn't have both... 

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2014, 03:44:49 PM »
If you want the info. from Dan's study, it would be best to get as much info. about the study, including how it was conducted, etc., directly from Dan.  Personally, if I wanted to know how much weight it holds, I would determine how accurate it is, based on various factors.  One would also need that info. to determine how many (if any) of the Clerks one sheets that eMovie sold were the alleged repros.  In this case, I doubt that eMovie took highly detailed photos, measurements, and everything that would differentiate the alleged original from the alleged repro., if they are that close.

Like I said before, personally, I wouldn't worry about it.  I also wouldn't spend 10+ times more for something, from Cinemasterpieces or anyone else, for the sake of buying it from someone who supposedly has information that is not readily available to the public, but that's another topic.

eMovie would do what they've done in the past.  Contact anyone who bought one and ask them to check their poster and then find a way to 'make it right' if there ends up being a problem.  It is one of Bruce's best customer service tactics.

No one went to further lengths to check out posters than Dan.  He is the reason that the term 'minty white' has meaning in the hobby and that Luke's hairy belt became a bad thing.  The silliness above is better suited to Fox News and Rasmussen polls...

I, also, would never spend money on any poster from Dave's site, but only because his prices are 'advanced'... but, I also like to know what I have if only purely from a knowledge standpoint.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2014, 03:47:45 PM »
This is not correct.  There absolutely are differences.  I believe that it's a size/cropping difference, at a minimum.  Dan R. had a full write up about them. Dave L. did them same. (For those that do not know - pretty much everything on Mel's site regarding Authentication, as helpful as it is, is a pale imitation of what Dan did and Dan was FAR more careful about sourcing his originals.  That there is confusion on this point is exactly why Neo's endless trolling in thread has been detrimental.

It's a commercial reprint that happened at the time of opening, to be sold to the public via in theater and other channels.  The original one sheets were sent to theaters and for theatrical use a bit before opening, so, yes, there is a very slight and relatively meaningless time difference.  

At the time (1994), Miramax was testing out different way to make cash via posters.  They sold a ton of 'original' posters for The Crow directly to comic shops to the point that they were having difficulty getting them to theaters.

I've never considered Fan club issues or Killian's as anything other than commercial prints, which are relatively  worthless (to me).

The difference is whether or not these things were intended to be used in a theater and in some form of advertising context.

Archie Leach, you can say I'm trolling you, but the fact is, you didn't provide any kind of potentially useful info. until I questioned your claims here.  Frankly, your claims without any kind of evidence behind them are clearly FUD statements.  Furthermore, all the scientific analysis info. you've mentioned here is from someone else, making your claims hearsay.  Your statistical conclusions are laughable at best.  The fact that you're calling anyone a troll, given your way of presenting this info. and how you deal with someone who is questioning you, is absurd.  If you want to make FUD claims, that's your prerogative, and it's my prerogative from someone with a science background to question them.  If you can't handle that, that's your problem.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 03:48:46 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2014, 03:52:41 PM »
Do you have an original for comparison?  I thought I remember reading earlier in the thread that you did, but that you didn't have both... 

I have one that I paid so little for that I'm 99% sure is a reprint (the story from the seller, which matched my personal knowledge and her sales history was that she had a bunch left over from the attempted in theater sales).  I was super busy at the time and didn't have time to compare versions.  It's been in storage, 3,000 miles away since.  I'm actually empting the storage unit in the next couple of weeks and shipping most of the stuff back to Seattle, reuniting my collection for the first time in ten years.

Heck, I would much rather that these are all original because then that would mean that mine was too.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2014, 04:00:47 PM »
eMovie would do what they've done in the past.  Contact anyone who bought one and ask them to check their poster and then find a way to 'make it right' if there ends up being a problem.  It is one of Bruce's best customer service tactics.

No one went to further lengths to check out posters than Dan.  He is the reason that the term 'minty white' has meaning in the hobby and that Luke's hairy belt became a bad thing.  The silliness above is better suited to Fox News and Rasmussen polls...

I, also, would never spend money on any poster from Dave's site, but only because his prices are 'advanced'... but, I also like to know what I have if only purely from a knowledge standpoint.

I know who Dan is and I've heard about all the studies he did, and I appreciate his efforts.  Frankly, without reviewing his work, I'm not one to just go along with all the info. you've presented here about these Clerks one sheets, for various reasons.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2014, 04:13:38 PM »
Archie Leach, you can say I'm trolling you, but the fact is, you didn't provide any kind of potentially useful info. until I questioned your claims here.  Frankly, your claims without any kind of evidence behind them are clearly FUD statements.  Furthermore, all the scientific analysis info. you've mentioned here is from someone else, making your claims hearsay.  Your statistical conclusions are laughable at best.  The fact that you're calling anyone a troll, given your way of presenting this info. and how you deal with someone who is questioning you, is absurd.  If you want to make FUD claims, that's your prerogative, and it's my prerogative from someone with a science background to question them.  If you can't handle that, that's your problem.

Dude, go do you own research. For all of his bluster, at least Mel went out an educated himself on the general history of the hobby. You don't know Jack. Most all of the things that I mentioned here have been mentioned and discussed, multiple times on these boards. I'm sorry that I didn't hand hold you through a cluster analysis of every Clerk poster ever made... feel free to do one yourself.  

Your definition of what is and what is not relevant information is utterly laughable.  What we are actually talking about, instead of statistics, is confidence - and estimated confidence at that.

When you become grand ruler of the world, then we will have to give a shit about your incredibly and universally uniformed opinion...

Seriously, get lost, you are only unnecessarily muddying the topic with your spewed idiocy of ludicrous expectation presented under a quise of 'science'.

BTW, unless you have a PhD in statistics, then I am supremely confident that I have more experience in the field than you...

Now, go FUD yourself...

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 04:14:55 PM by archie leach »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2014, 04:17:26 PM »
I know who Dan is and I've heard about all the studies he did, and I appreciate his efforts.  Frankly, without reviewing his work, I'm not one to just go along with all the info. you've presented here about these Clerks one sheets, for various reasons.

This says everything about you and your failings...

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2014, 04:35:29 PM »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2014, 04:36:02 PM »
Dude, go do you own research. For all of his bluster, at least Mel went out an educated himself on the general history of the hobby. You don't know Jack. Most all of the things that I mentioned here have been mentioned and discussed, multiple times on these boards. I'm sorry that I didn't hand hold you through a cluster analysis of every Clerk poster ever made... feel free to do one yourself.  

Your definition of what is and what is not relevant information is utterly laughable.  What we are actually talking about, instead of statistics, is confidence - and estimated confidence at that.

When you become grand ruler of the world, then we will have to give a shit about your incredibly and universally uniformed opinion...

Seriously, get lost, you are only unnecessarily muddying the topic with your spewed idiocy of ludicrous expectation presented under a quise of 'science'.

BTW, unless you have a PhD in statistics, then I am supremely confident that I have more experience in the field than you...

Now, go FUD yourself...

Make me.

Your FUD and your personal attacks define you, Jason.

No more food for you.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »
yup... just being a dick to be a dick... one might say that is the definition of being a troll.

To bad that you can't see some gray in your black and white world.

I'm done...

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2014, 05:07:07 PM »

To bad that you can't see some gray in your black and white world.

I'm done...

People like you really bring places like this down a few notches, and are one of the main reasons why so many folks don't participate online.  

Getting back to posters, movies, and the spirit of the day, happy Halloween!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 05:17:19 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2014, 08:55:33 PM »
had to search what "FUD" meant.

I live with it.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Rage1073

« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2014, 02:49:31 AM »
Are you guys calling each other Elmer Fud" lol

I did some tease tach on it and I did find different versions of the same poster. The thing was that the others were -x36"

Other than that I could not find anything on reprints

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2014, 03:56:28 AM »
Yeah, the size difference we are talking about are down to less than an inch, in all likelihood.  Slight color difference in the printing might be another sign.  I have a vague recollection that there were two 'indicators' to check...

Here's one listed at full size.  No idea if these are from the same printing or later...https://www.movieposter.com/poster/A70-9043/Clerks.html

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2014, 09:58:12 AM »
had to search what "FUD" meant.

I live with it.

Sorry to hear that, Ari.  I hope everything goes well for you.

Yeah, the size difference we are talking about are down to less than an inch, in all likelihood.  Slight color difference in the printing might be another sign.  I have a vague recollection that there were two 'indicators' to check...

Here's one listed at full size.  No idea if these are from the same printing or later...https://www.movieposter.com/poster/A70-9043/Clerks.html

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:31:37 AM by NeoLoco »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2014, 05:52:58 PM »
Yes and it took 5 seconds to type 'clerks reprint movie poster' in google...  use it, it's your friend.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2014, 10:04:20 PM »
Yes and it took 5 seconds to type 'clerks reprint movie poster' in google...  use it, it's your friend.

Rage1073

« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2014, 10:21:57 PM »
Woo! got it signed by smith and
Wasn't easy but I got it done

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2014, 10:50:12 PM »
Congrats!

And what is the stuffed, blue thing with yellow eyes, sitting right above said poster?  ;D

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2014, 11:08:17 PM »
Cool, rage.  cool1  Whose auto is that next to Mr. Smith's?

Rage1073

« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2014, 11:21:50 PM »
Haha the stuffed thing is a Snorlax I bought. It's a pokemon.

The other autograph is Marilyn Ghigliotti who played Veronica in the movie aka the Girl at the bottom center of the poster

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2014, 11:28:42 PM »
Nice sigs and Snorlax...  thumbsup.gif

Does Smith just sign with just his initials? It almost looks like 3 letters... is that right?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 11:29:10 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2014, 11:37:25 PM »
Right on.  cool1

Rage1073

« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2014, 11:48:53 PM »
Yea he just wrote a K with a dash and then his last name with an S and another continuing dash to a T. I dont know if it makes sense but yea. He signed only a few things because his panel went past the time it was supposed to. I had to wait for him at the exit to get it. His panel was pretty fun, Burt Ward showed up and told everyone stories about his time as Robin.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2014, 11:51:37 PM »
Sounds like a good time....and you got what you went for. That's all that matters.  ;)

-Jeff