Author Topic: Preserving Trade Ads  (Read 2241 times)

guest4669

Preserving Trade Ads
« on: October 14, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »
Hi everyone - Looking for some advice if anyone has experience with preserving “magazine ads” from old Life magazines. I purchased some pages with the Saul Bass design for “Champion” out of Life magazine 1949. I am interested in framing them together since I bought both style trade ads that he designed. Would the appropriate method be to linen back? Or are there other methods I should look to do? I ran a search and the only result I received was from “Charlie” in the Amateur Linen Backing thread where he backed some pages from Playboy magazine that made a poster of “The Deep” but it seems he may have had mixed results. 

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Preserving Trade Ads
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 02:18:58 PM »
just frame it.. I can't imagine it being useful to back especially as Life magazine pages which are thin & after backing, the reverse side may show through

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest4669

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 02:27:43 PM »
Thanks for the response. It sounds like I was just over thinking it. Should be easier than I thought.

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 05:10:33 PM »
If you use black paper behind the trade ad it reduces any bleed through of the reverse side showing through.
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »
If you use black paper behind the trade ad it reduces any bleed through of the reverse side showing through.

I had started saying that in my previous post, but abandoned the line. Lynn however is correct

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Huey Dewey

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 07:30:59 PM »

Yep. Such a god tip and of course the same if you ever need to photocopy (scan) old news print, simply place black behind it and the black print on the reverse isn't seen. If you have a poster with dark unwanted text on the rear (i.e. an 'International' stamp) the same trick can be used. Black paper placed behind the poster, not adhered to it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:31:49 PM by Huey Dewey »