Author Topic: September 2014  (Read 15687 times)

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
September 2014
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:17:17 AM »
One of my favorite WWI posters. In rough shape prior to cleaning and backing, had around two feet of tape on the back alone holding it together. Decided I love the character that the toning and missing paper along the edges bring to it and since the pieces do not extend into the artwork for the most part will be leaving as is. Backed but not restored.

Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: September 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:35:38 AM »
Was the restorer able to achieve that colour improvement simply by washing?
Chris

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:44:14 PM »
The after image is slightly off as it is a little more toned than it appears because the cell phone flash lightens it a bit.

A lot of soaking, washing and rinsing. I was tempted to hit it with chems because the bottom half circle stain was so stubborn but in the end decided it was close enough to gone. The paper was also very very brittle at first and was worried what they would do to it. This poor lady was not treated well for a very long time.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 01:11:01 PM »
You did some might fine clean up work to this WWI damsel, Mike.  clap clap clap

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:29:24 PM »
An astonishing difference without any airbrushing or chemicals
Chris

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 02:23:33 PM »
It just takes a combination of patience and remembering that capillary action is not just your enemy it is also your friend. When done right you can actually draw stains out of the paper to a degree same with toning. To be clear though it is not strictly chemical free there is a cleaning agent, a type of soap compound for lack of a better term, used just not bleach. The cleaning of this one before backing was done over a period of days not hours.

I have much better documented in pics the restoration of the River Girl one sheet I have which was worse than this including dirt, staining, stains from paint, tape front and back, etc. Will post it in one of the resto threads if I ever finish it off. That one will have some paper fill done though.
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 02:25:12 PM »
It just takes a combination of patience and remembering that capillary action is not just your enemy it is also your friend. When done right you can actually draw stains out of the paper to a degree same with toning. To be clear though it is not strictly chemical free there is a cleaning agent, a type of soap compound for lack of a better term, used just not bleach. The cleaning of this one before backing was done over a period of days not hours.

I have much better documented in pics the restoration of the River Girl one sheet I have which was worse than this including dirt, staining, stains from paint, tape front and back, etc. Will post it in one of the resto threads if I ever finish it off. That one will have some paper fill done though.

I did not realize you were undertaking the backing/restoration process yourself.  Nice work...
Chris

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 02:32:33 PM »
Picked this 3 sh up from my first HA auction.  All went well except for the UPS brokerage fees (picture a grown man crying naked in the shower...)

If you've never read Joseph Conrad you watch too much TV

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:32:48 PM by Crazy Vick »

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 02:43:35 PM »
Picked this 3 sh up from my first HA auction.  All went well except for the UPS brokerage fees (picture a grown man crying naked in the shower...)

Nice pickup, think you wanted the poster thread though.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:56:20 PM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Mirosae

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 02:47:56 PM »

Nice muscles poster!

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 02:55:37 PM »
I did not realize you were undertaking the backing/restoration process yourself.  Nice work...

Yes, I do all my own work. I started out with comic books 20+ years ago, learned from a conservator from the Met in NY. Moved it over to posters more recently though, couple of years ago. Had too many posters that needed conservation to one degree or another and decided to tackle it myself since I already had a basis. Plus it keeps the cost down so I can by more.... and more...... and more........

Am actually dying to bring an aspect from the paper restoration/conservation side to posters that none of the current restorers does. You guys would flip your lid and line up for it but that is at least a year and a lot of cash out first. I would need to decide I want to do this at least semi professionally before investing the time and money. Won't say what it is since I can likely patent the finished process and tooling.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 02:57:38 PM by Undead »
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 02:56:18 PM »

ALWAYS get Heritage to ship via USPS to Canada!  Put it down as a lesson learned...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 02:57:56 PM »
Yes, I do all my own work. I started out with comic books 20+ years ago, learned from a conservator from the Met in NY. Moved it over to posters more recently though, couple of years ago. Had too many posters that needed conservation to one degree or another and decided to tackle it myself since I already had a basis. Plus it keeps the cost down so I can by more.... and more...... and more........

Am actually dying to bring an aspect from the paper restoration/conservation side to posters that none of the current restorers does. You guys would flip your lid and line up for it but that is at least a year and a lot of cash out first. I would need to decide I want to do this at least semi professionally before investing the time and money. Won't say what it is since I can likely patent the finished process and tooling.

Sounds interesting
Chris

Mirosae

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 03:00:13 PM »

Very wise. So, now, tell us.. what is the most difficult part on the conservation process? I always thought that all that bathing was the most difficult, but I heard that actually the LB can be a pain in the button

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 03:00:28 PM »
Nice muscles poster!

lol
you are insatiable Rosa!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 03:01:52 PM »
ALWAYS get Heritage to ship via USPS to Canada!  Put it down as a lesson learned...
Thanks Chris... i was going to "self-clear" but by the time I realized how complicated THAT was, the poster had shipped, or, the ship had sailed! 

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2014, 03:03:11 PM »
Nice pickup, think you wanted the poster thread though.
Ack...i thought this was the September pick-ups thread... sorry didnt mean to hijack!  Maybe a mod and move the entire conversation over...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 03:11:35 PM »
Vic, i think i can move those posts for you..

You posted in the Advertising Posters section, rather than the Sept movie posters acquisition thread.. so it wasn't about hijacking anything.  ;)

Update.. i cant move the individual posts from one thread to another.. you should re-post it here, if you wanted or cared to:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8775.0.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 03:16:44 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff