Author Topic: Poster Storage within Spotlight Display Frames  (Read 9153 times)

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
Poster Storage within Spotlight Display Frames
« on: September 13, 2014, 11:10:18 AM »
Hello,

I am a newbie; recently and severely infected with poster fever.  My wife thinks it's just a midlife crisis, but she just doesn't understand.  Anyway, when I told her about my new passion, she gave me a snaky mal'occhio and asked:  "And where, exactly, are you gonna put all these posters you plan on acquiring?!?!?"  Good question and one I probably should have considered before purchasing 6 posters, one of which is 40 x 90.

So, I've been doing a lot of research and came across the Spotlight Displays (SD) product and website by way of this forum, which, by the way, is absolutely fantastic!  The owner of SD has placed this video on youtube, where he highlights that one of the benefits of the SD frame is that you can store multiple posters inside the frame: 

Based on the little that I've read regarding the storage of movie posters, combined with my lack of experience, I have concerns/questions regarding this method.  While the owner of SD notes that his posters have not bled, he confirms that they've only been stored from 3 to 6 months within the frame.  What about in the long-term?  Is there a risk that the folders will eventually damage each other?  Should some sort of acid-free paper/plastic be placed between each poster?  Essentially what I'm asking is: "Is this a short-term storage solution until you find something permanent or can you safely store them this way long-term?"

I would really appreciate hearing your opinion and/or experiences regarding this method of storing posters.

Thanks.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Poster Storage within Spotlight Display Frames
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 09:41:16 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't use a frame for storage for any length of time.  Also, this method is the best for framing, IMO. http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8796.msg160785.html

It's best to store posters flat, IMO.  I use polyethylene sleeves from BagsUnlimited for the ones that fit in my flat file cabinet, and the larger ones are not in sleeves and are in a homemade insulated board sandwich gimmick. http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8284.0.html

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't use a frame for storage for any length of time. 

Agreed...there are much better solutions
Chris

guest4531

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 04:33:02 AM »
Yep, agree !  There are better solution than a frame... either keep them folded somewhere (if folded) or store it flat; cheapest method being DIY - two sheet of plywood + tick fabric => under the bed :p  not conservaton standard, but it is just posters, not fine art (unless posters you bought are extremely rare).

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 09:47:51 AM »
Yep, agree !  There are better solution than a frame... either keep them folded somewhere (if folded) or store it flat; cheapest method being DIY - two sheet of plywood + tick fabric => under the bed :p  not conservaton standard, but it is just posters, not fine art (unless posters you bought are extremely rare).

I personally wouldn't use plywood -- lots of nasty chemicals saturated into that wood.  I used the under-bed storage method for a while before upgrading to flat files.  I sandwiched my posters between acid free foam core and stacked books on top to aid in flattening them.

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 04:12:29 PM »
Thank you for the advice.  I'll be avoiding this form of storage.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 05:32:21 PM »
One question no one is asking is, where do you live?  Humidity is posters #1 enemy. 

For me in Southern California, humidity is not a factor.  I own 8 flat file cabinets and I have been stacking up my posters with zero protection for almost 15 years now, ever since I began collecting.  They are as pristine now than when I purchased them.

Now, if you live in Miami, like my partner in crime Holiday, it's a whole different story.  You need to protect your posters because humidity and insects will get to them.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, btw.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 08:59:21 PM »
Thanks, Eatbrie (man, your nick is familiar to me ... do you sell posters on some other site?)

I live in Toronto.  It can get very humid from June to August here ... otherwise, it's pretty dry.  From what I've learned so far, I'm thinking of storing the ones that I don't frame flat under my bed, in one of those large cardboard-like containers, each poster inside its own acid-free sleeve.  Does that sound OK?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 09:51:38 AM »
Thanks, Eatbrie (man, your nick is familiar to me ... do you sell posters on some other site?)

I live in Toronto.  It can get very humid from June to August here ... otherwise, it's pretty dry.  From what I've learned so far, I'm thinking of storing the ones that I don't frame flat under my bed, in one of those large cardboard-like containers, each poster inside its own acid-free sleeve.  Does that sound OK?

This should work well
Chris

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 01:47:21 PM »
Great!  Thanks again.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 02:00:56 PM »

Nope.  I do not sell posters (that's one for you, Chris ;))
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 04:52:50 PM »
Nope.  I do not sell posters (that's one for you, Chris ;))

I'll make sure I add it to the tally sheet...probably going to need to start a new page soon :P
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 04:53:12 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 11:13:08 AM »
Just seeing this now. I now have 10 prints in the frame that you see in the video. Don't know off the top of my head when that video was made but the prints that are in the frame in the video have been in there since it was made and there still is no problems with the prints.

What has to be pointed out is that these are prints and not the standard posters that come from the theaters. I actually feel that posters coming from the theater would be even safer to store this way; lesser chance of bleeding in my opinion. Obviously the back and front of the poster must be free of anything such as tape.

I have another frame that has a few one sheets stored in it. The nice thing is that it straightens out rolled posters nicely.

I would never want anyone's posters to be ruined. I feel very safe with doing this but can understand someone having concerns.

Semper Fi,

Robert Perry
www.SpotlightDisplays.com