Author Topic: Hello APF  (Read 10336 times)

Offline Huey Dewey

• Beginner
Hello APF
« on: July 25, 2014, 07:48:09 PM »
I've dipped in and out of this fun forum for ages without being a member so thought it's about time I joined! I've had an interest in movie posters for the past 35 years or so and hope that they aren't all replaced by sterile LCD screens in the near future. My main cinema going was in the late 70s and 80s so that's where my poster interests lie (science fiction being at the top of the list). Give me artwork over photo montages any day.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Hello APF
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 09:02:52 PM »
Welcome Huey.  I agree with you, the 70s and 80s ROCK!!!  I, however, can't wait for LCDs to replace paper posters, because I'm sick and tired of collecting modern posters.  I love movies from the 40s to today so it pushes me forward, but I'd love to stop.

Welcome to the forum.

Thierry
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:52:39 PM »
Howdy.  As T said, you are in good company with 70s/80s fans.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:55:22 PM »
By the way... Star Wars or Star Trek?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 11:37:57 PM »
Welcome!
Chris

Offline Huey Dewey

• Beginner
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 05:59:31 AM »
By the way... Star Wars or Star Trek?

Can’t compare the two really (apples v bananas and all that) very different for me, what they have in common is mainstream science fiction, but that's about it. Really very very different. I have great affection for both. Star Wars came first cinema wise, and also produced some amazing art, the logo itself, Jung, Hildebrandt brothers and Chantrell, but then I’ve always loved Bob Peak's artwork on the Trek poster.

Star Wars in the cinema was very special for me, I was one of those people who went back to see it again and again.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »
Also it's great that we have a Huey Dewey now because our Louie was getting lonely!
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 02:29:14 PM »
Can’t compare the two really (apples v bananas and all that) very different for me, what they have in common is mainstream science fiction, but that's about it. Really very very different. I have great affection for both. Star Wars came first cinema wise, and also produced some amazing art, the logo itself, Jung, Hildebrandt brothers and Chantrell, but then I’ve always loved Bob Peak's artwork on the Trek poster.

Star Wars in the cinema was very special for me, I was one of those people who went back to see it again and again.

I love both, but if I could only have one... Star Wars hands down. 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 03:07:37 PM »
Really?  Are you guys comparing Star Wars to Star Trek?  How about Animal House to Porky's?  Which one is better?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »
What about Battlestar Galactica!? Lol.
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 08:46:13 PM »
Welcome Huey Dewey... to the show that never ends.

Really?  Are you guys comparing Star Wars to Star Trek?  How about Animal House to Porky's?  Which one is better?

T

Star Wars snobs...tsk tsk tsk.

Nerd war on!

The Stark Trek tv show, now that was pioneering baby. Think about this......They predicted/"invented" cell phones. Granted its a crappy flip phone but still 30 years ahead of its time.

This sums it up for me...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kWq54c9_td4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kWq54c9_td4</a>

SW  vs ST =  cheers  ;D laugh1

Happy saturday indeed!  :)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:56:43 PM by Zorba »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 09:22:47 PM »
I actually loved the TV show.  Nothing can beat Shatner in tights.  But it was a TV show.  The movies were just okay, nothing ground breaking, nothing Star Wars.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 09:50:07 PM »
I actually loved the TV show.  Nothing can beat Shatner in tights.  But it was a TV show.  The movies were just okay, nothing ground breaking, nothing Star Wars.

T

Aside from ST II and maybe maybe ST IV, I dont like the movies either. I just dislike SW more  ;)

Try watching them again. I dare you!  :P

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 11:45:24 PM »

I like him  We should keep him.

Welcome aboard, Huey Dewey!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 03:36:48 AM »
Animal House is much better than Porky's... :D

And Star Wars, great films, crap T.V. Spin-offs. Star Trek, great T.V. show, poor Films...  simples.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Huey Dewey

• Beginner
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 11:45:11 AM »
Worked my way through the 10 film Trek box set a few months ago, and yep, some of those films are pretty bad, but the TV series at the time (polished studio floor and boulders) couldn't be beaten. Then again I caught 10 minutes of one of the new Star Wars movies the other day and it dreadful.

I actually have them on Blu-ray but can't watch them because they reinvented 'my' Star Wars. Vader was a bad guy in a cape, he was never a cute kid...!

Thanks for the welcome's guys.

PS Animal House.

Offline Huey Dewey

• Beginner
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 11:46:25 AM »
I love both, but if I could only have one... Star Wars hands down. 

Same

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 02:08:18 PM »

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 11:35:30 AM »
Hey Hey Hey...  Gonna Show us some cool 70s and 80s posters one day? thumbsup.gif

Jason

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 08:10:08 PM »
star trek invented/predicted mobile phones?

you know there is such as thing as books right?

http://www.listsofnote.com/2011/12/heinleins-predictions.html

look at 11 (skip most of the rest please, haha oops)

anyway back to the REAL topic.

Animal House AND Porky's suck, or blow or whatever the term is. Sure they were fun when your pre pubescent.

Star Wars or Star Trek... hmm.. Ill got Star Trek. but as someone mentioned id go Battlestar Galactica anyway.

OH I nearly forgot, Welcome H-D
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!