Author Topic: Check your shipping fees with other forum members  (Read 22712 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Check your shipping fees with other forum members
« on: July 15, 2014, 06:52:18 PM »
So over the past 13 years (when I started collecting), I probably spent the equivalent of a few Carreras in posters and a few Prius in shipping.

And at least one Hyundai in extra shipping I didn't have to pay.

Which is why I'm starting this thread.  I'm sick and tired of international sellers charging extra on shipping just because I have no way of checking.  But actually I do.  We all do.  There are enough international collectors on this forum to cover most of the countries we buy from.

For instance, I just spend $40 for one 4sh, one 2sh and 6 photobustas from Italy.  It seems like Italy is the most expensive country to ship from in the world.  Am I right?

Anyhow, this thread is meant for each one of us to ask other members when in doubt.

T

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:53:52 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

Re: Check your shipping fees with other forum members
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 07:26:23 PM »
My experience is with shipping from the US to other countries and with Paypal's regulations on signatures and insurance, I charge/spend $40-50 sending a single 24x36 print to the UK via USPS Priority/Express mail.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 01:34:48 PM »
Those effing Italians...almost as bad as the French.   8)

(Good thread...)
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:01:58 PM »
You can check Australia post on there website calculator. I always lose money when I send to America as they have introduced a fee for security checks done in America that the sender has to pay. 10 years ago it cost me $7 to send a small tube that now costs $20+.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 01:02:24 PM »
The problem you guys in the US have is that us in the UK have ever increasing prices.
The Royal Mail for instance is terribly expensive these days.

Fallen is right - if you receive payment via PayPal you have no option other than to send the package via International Signed For postage...even domestic shipping must be sent requiring a signature upon delivery. Well, I say no option, you could send without a signature, but PayPal are really bad as they will always side with the buyer even when you have a receipt for the postage.

I can't talk for any other country, but $40.00 from Italy seems the going rate T as I suspect the posters you bought are vintage, or at least not modern, and so heavier.
Best wishes,
Adam

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 01:14:01 PM »
Well, I trashed both posters as they were not in good enough condition for my taste.  $40 for 2 posters seems outrageous to me, but if it's the going rate, so be it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline movieposterodyssey

• Hobbyist
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 03:42:08 AM »
40 bucks,T?....I see that being way too high. Why does everyone see this as normal? $50 to ship a rolled poster to the UK? It was only $50 cuz you used priority/express. If ya shipped regular it woulda been half that. I sent a ,basically, 1/4 inch thick pvc tube to England with heavy insurance and sig conformation, regular shipping, for 37 bucks. If I shipped it priority it woulda been like $85. 
Like Ari said, I could ship a poster down under, via the post office, regular shipping, for probably $20-30. Depending on if I use cardboard or PVC.
I used crazy nuke proof pvc. Real thick. If you just use a good, thick cardboard tube, no way it will be $40 bucks to Europe, with regular shipping.

Not sure what this "paypal" regulation is. I've never heard anything about it. They don't dictate how I ship items. If I want sig conformation it gets dun, if I don't, it doesn't.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »
$20 to ship 1 rolled poster from Canada to the US... is that right?
My Personal Collection

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 01:59:08 PM »

Registered?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 02:20:21 PM »

Most likely yes if that's via Canada Post?  Our rates up here are exorbitant
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 02:32:15 PM »
Most likely yes if that's via Canada Post?  Our rates up here are exorbitant

Ouch.. crying

its cheaper to mail a tube from the US to the UK!

-Jeff

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 02:41:28 PM »
I've only been a part-time seller for all my collecting days. There are two reasons for that. The first is that I hate to be a peddler and I hate to sit behind the computer all day spitting out auctions or looking for "bargains". I'd rather use my spare time to put posters on walls. The second reason is much more practical. Have a look at this:

Yes folks, those prices are in euros. For any shipment larger than a still this is it and no escape. Whether it's a quattro foglie or a lobby card, no difference. Since they have privatized the postal sector, small companies have the choice to go the same and only postal carrier they used before for a threefold of the price of five years ago. Good old competition in the marketplace. If you want to know why a lobby card weighing nothing costs around $30 track and trace, it's because they don't fit in the mailbox like a letter. That's Dutch mailboxes of course, and if you haven't noticed yet, the prices are for shipping to non-Dutch addresses. As a courtesy to small-time sellers Ebay has opted to add shipping costs to the price of the item to determine the final value fee.

So, I'm already pissed off - despite my good and cheerful nature- by the fact that I have no hope in hell selling single lobby cards to US, Australia etcetera.
I get even more pissed by annoying twerps - and let be state right now that I don't mean anyone on this forum, you've all been perfectly civil - nagging me that my shipping and/or prices are too high for no other reason than to scrape the barrel. I say to them, "Good riddance!" I pride myself on having a rather eclectic collection and I have problems letting things go, so leave me in peace. If on the other hand you show real enthusiasm for a poster or film or whatever, you'll find you can always make a deal.

This has been a public service announcement with guitars from the M.I.A. headquarters

http://www.hazardousoperations.com/movie-ink_wp/movieinkblog/
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:42:20 PM by Mondo Hazardo »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 03:03:10 PM »
the rates from Canada or no diff than the rates from here to Canada.

a solid tube weighs almost a pound with tape, wrapping paper & peanuts etc. you slide the poster in, it's just over a pound and that costs about $16 in shipping a;one. cost of tube, supplies & labor.. my rate to ship to Canada is $19

postage costs are one of the things we have no control over & once the Republican party is successful in eliminating the post office so private industry can make the profits, rates will skyrocket to those shown by Wim and mail order business will evaporate faster than a puddle of water in Death Valley in July

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 03:14:20 PM »
Sounds about right, T.  I've shipped from near Montreal to variosu locations in the US at between $16 and $24 (california)
Its brutal.  By the way, i'll gladly act as your (or anyone's) Canadian middleman!  Even if you're shipping to Nunavut!   thumbsup.gif

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 04:00:17 PM »
Sounds about right, T.  I've shipped from near Montreal to variosu locations in the US at between $16 and $24 (california)
Its brutal.  By the way, i'll gladly act as your (or anyone's) Canadian middleman!  Even if you're shipping to Nunavut!   thumbsup.gif

What a guy!  Personal delivery by dogsled?
Chris

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 04:13:19 PM »
What a guy!  Personal delivery by dogsled?

Oh just me little compact car...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »
I could use that to get up my street in about 1.5 months!
Chris

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 08:54:20 PM »
Wow, shipping costs have increased. :o
I was seeing what the shipment would be for a normal tube weighted 1lb and less.

Shipping within Canada would be $25 ( I always go for delivery confirmation and signature Option)

Shipping to US-  $35!! (with delivery confirmation and signature)

Shipping to Europe (quoted Italy)- $50 regular mail (NO confirmation NO signature)
        $70!!! shipped with delivery confirmation and signature option!
 :o

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 05:47:03 PM »
-Just received a poster from Poland. It cost the seller the equivalent of $11.92 USD to send with Delivery and Signature confirmation

-Just sent a poster to Spain 1st Class with tracking and Delivery confirmation for $15.08 USD

Bigmike I checked out Canada Post pricing just now and OUCH!  I see they will only let you do Signature confirmation on "Xpresspost."  and choosing "Expedited Parcel" (no sig conf) the cost is $22.40 CAD.  They stick it to you if you want the Signature Confirmation dont they? and an extra $1.50CAD charge if you use a tube...dang.  So if you put the tube in a poster box you save money or what?

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 05:51:16 PM »
So it's still at least $20 to send out a poster from Canada now.  I had some sellers complain about the shipping costs. I said there is nothing I can do, go and take a look at Canada Post if you don't believe me. I sold some posters under $10 bucks before and took a loss. Wasn't even worth it to list them. (unless someone was to buy multiple posters)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 06:35:28 PM »
..and an extra $1.50CAD charge if you use a tube...dang.  So if you put the tube in a poster box you save money or what?

That's exactly it because I was told "the tubes roll around in the truck" Wtf?  Most of the Canada Posts are now located inside Shopper's Drug Marts in Canada (aka Walgreens or CVS in the US).  So the employees are not Canada Post employees but actually Shopper's Drug Mart employees trained to process the mail.  Can you believe that?  Its like one monopoly, the crown corporation that is Canada Post, in cahoots with the biggest drugstore chain in the country. What a farce.  And yes, while gas is at its lowest in 6 years now, there aren't removing the "fuel surcharge" anytime soon.   spew

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 06:43:27 PM »
Our Canada Post, uses cars or vans as well. Small Canada Post sign on their vehicle (car, truck, suv, whatever) That's how it gets delivered...

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 08:28:39 PM »
Strange people down south.

I had two sellers with things I wanted in Argentina.
Was going to organise both send to one local address and have that fwd to me.
thin it would be cheaper?
Apparently its $20 to send within Argentina, and $20 to send to Australia.

One said that was because my local address was 700kms away so its the same.

Now I DO believe them, as both explained to me the same way, so not sellers fault.

But here, I could send a similar item to Sydney for $7 or $20 to Argentina.
and Sydney is 4000kms away

Anyways.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 09:43:05 PM »
Strange people down south.

I had two sellers with things I wanted in Argentina.
Was going to organise both send to one local address and have that fwd to me.
thin it would be cheaper?
Apparently its $20 to send within Argentina, and $20 to send to Australia.

One said that was because my local address was 700kms away so its the same.

Now I DO believe them, as both explained to me the same way, so not sellers fault.

But here, I could send a similar item to Sydney for $7 or $20 to Argentina.
and Sydney is 4000kms away

Anyways.

It's obvious Matias is to blame here.  We will wait his apology for his country's idiosyncrasies
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2015, 08:03:05 AM »
I won't apologize when there's a logical explanation.
Ari's providers and my bunker are 700 kms. away IN A STRAIGHT LINE.
All roads in Argentina are like these:

eyeroll
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo