Author Topic: Check your shipping fees with other forum members  (Read 22948 times)

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Re: Check your shipping fees with other forum members
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2015, 08:05:19 AM »
Strange people down south.

You bet!  :D

But here, I could send a similar item to Sydney for $7 or $20 to Argentina.
and Sydney is 4000kms away

You lucky bastard!
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »
Its OK, I was just surprised.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 10:51:06 AM »
We're full of surprises down here!  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 11:49:07 AM »
I won't apologize when there's a logical explanation.
Ari's providers and my bunker are 700 kms. away IN A STRAIGHT LINE.
All roads in Argentina are like these:

eyeroll

I should have known!
Chris

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 02:33:17 PM »

guest4754

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2015, 10:48:49 PM »
Oh yeah I just love when I get a package in the mail, and the little shipping cost sticker is 15 euros less than what I paid  >:( Luckily I've managed to get the excess refunded everytime I call them out on it.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2015, 12:23:09 AM »
Oh yeah I just love when I get a package in the mail, and the little shipping cost sticker is 15 euros less than what I paid  >:( Luckily I've managed to get the excess refunded everytime I call them out on it.

This is one reason I don't sell my stuff.... The cost to send an item involves postage and labour (handling).  I couldn't cope if people contacted me wanting refund on that cost.  I'd only be into selling them individually rather than consign if my extra work to do it was covered by the handling component.

I don't know your arrangement with the seller , sounds like he was only charging the actual postage.

guest4754

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2015, 12:41:01 AM »
I guess I would just assume that the money for the handling would be considered in the profit made from the sale of the item. I don't think a seller should misrepresent the shipping cost, if they are adding a handling fee into the shipping charge they should mention that. Also this was 15 euros extra to what the actual postage cost(according to the sticker), I don't think throwing the poster in a tube with a few packing peanuts is really worth that. I can understand the hassle of handling, especially if it's actually packaged well and it's obvious they put time/effort/money into it, then by all means I don't mind paying a little extra than the postage costed.

And to clarify I only asked for a refund for the excess amount(I also double checked with him that I was right, which he admitted), he still got the amount that it really costed him to ship it. He seemed pretty aware he was kind of in the wrong.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2015, 12:24:12 PM »
When I look at what mailing packages cost in the rest of the world, it makes me understand why the USPS is continually struggling to maintain solvency.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2015, 12:45:01 PM »
I guess I would just assume that the money for the handling would be considered in the profit made from the sale of the item. I don't think a seller should misrepresent the shipping cost, if they are adding a handling fee into the shipping charge they should mention that. Also this was 15 euros extra to what the actual postage cost(according to the sticker), I don't think throwing the poster in a tube with a few packing peanuts is really worth that. I can understand the hassle of handling, especially if it's actually packaged well and it's obvious they put time/effort/money into it, then by all means I don't mind paying a little extra than the postage costed.

And to clarify I only asked for a refund for the excess amount(I also double checked with him that I was right, which he admitted), he still got the amount that it really costed him to ship it. He seemed pretty aware he was kind of in the wrong.

Good to read that you found a seller that was willing to refund that excess. We probably have all received a parcel where what we paid and what the sticker shows are very different.

Just last week, i mailed two rolled US OS from Los Angeles to OH, (carefully packaged and padded). The total weight was about 14.5 oz. If something weighs under 13 oz, the parcel can be sent First Class. Over that, Priority Mail has to be used. (Both come with a tracking number at NO additional cost, also).

My total cost to mail this tube, USPS Priority, 2 day mail:  $4.75

So when i see sellers /ebayers in the US asking for $10, 12 (or more dollars) to ship one rolled poster, (to another US address), they are doing nothing but totally gouging the buyer and throwing that extra cash into their own pocket. And that is a seller ripping the buyer off, plain and simple.  moron1

And as you said, getting a poster, hastily thrown into a tube with a handful of peanuts (that do nothing to protect the edges), is also not worthy of any handling fee. If someone is going to sell a poster, that is part of getting it sent to the new owner/buyer.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:03:39 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2015, 01:02:13 PM »
In the UK it's not just the weight, but the size, since the new changes...

Now when I go in with a tube and they need to measure the length and girth, as well as weight to get the cost..... bet it was a woman who came up with that system.... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2015, 01:04:24 PM »
In the UK it's not just the weight, but the size, since the new changes...

Now when I go in with a tube and they need to measure the length and girth, as well as weight to get the cost..... bet it was a woman who came up with that system.... ;)

Parcel size applies here in the US, too, Paul (always has). I should have made that clear in my post above. ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:06:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2015, 01:20:08 PM »
On the flip side, tho, I also did mail a parcel (tube) to Chris (CSM), in Ontario, Canada a couple years ago. I looked for and found the receipt, so I could be accurate here.

I always look for the best way to ship (price and time frame), and confirmed how it would be sent.

This particular parcel weighed 11.9 ounces. It was sent, using Express Mail International (and if I recall, the other options were even more $$)

The tube arrived to him in just a few days.

Total shipping cost (July 2013 price quoted here, from LA to Ontario), was $37.35
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:20:52 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
special handling
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2016, 12:46:15 AM »
I hope i'm not outing this for anybody

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371650567421?rmvSB=true

I noticed the bottom - anyone know if this is true?  Please note that as of June 2015, the USPS is charging a $10 "special handling" fee for packages marked Fragile. We will not mark any box fragile, but rest assured, your item will be packaged very well. If you need the box marked fragile, you must let us know before you pay, and we will then send you an invoice with a $10 added charge. John 3:30

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2016, 12:55:18 AM »
There is a 9.95 Fragile handling fee that can be paid for certain items.

As explained on the USPS Site (https://www.usps.com/ship/preparing-domestic-shipments.htm):

The USPS® Special Handling and Special Handling-Fragile service is required for unusual items that are not sent by normal mail such as live poultry and bees and can only be arranged at a Post Office™ location. USPS Special Handling service takes extra care in shipping treatment, transportation, and delivery, but it is not the same as insurance.

I think a poster is just a little different than live bees or poultry?......   hmmm.gif

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 01:21:33 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2016, 09:28:40 AM »
thanks Jeff.  So yeah, either the seller is nuts or he's knowingly out to screw his buyer an extra 10 bucks.