Author Topic: What's the most expensive poster you've damaged and then thrown away...  (Read 17028 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: What's the most expensive poster you've damaged and then thrown away...
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 03:44:46 PM »
What a Story Rich.. Have you ever come across that comic again in an auction? Is it rare? i mean how much is that one worth now?? Any idea?

probably 500-1000

I would have paid $250 to see him do that.

I got the show for free!

sm1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Mirosae

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 04:59:08 PM »
Thank you Rich! Good to know... ;)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 06:42:07 PM »
Thank you Rich! Good to know... ;)

always welcome.. and why.. do you have a stack of ripped in half golden age comics?

;)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 06:48:20 PM »
with slabbed comics these days who cares if the interior is there anyway!

btw i absolutely hate the graded comics world. completely artificial price inflation.

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2016, 07:01:08 PM »
I've given away reprints I thought were worthless but were worth over $100 (advertising posters - bullfighting and also Fangio)

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2016, 07:18:16 PM »
Scatterbrained as I am, when the children were growing up I did tend to leave things a tad unprotected. Hidden away perhaps but not always securely. I remember having a particularly splendid sleepless night and being awoken by our first born (a toddler) pushing paper into my face whilst giggling. I sleepily replied 'Thank-you darling' and grabbed his little scrap of drawing. Seconds later this happened again and again I said thank-you. The third time I opened my bleary eyes wider and could make out part of a head and a moustache. Sir Arthur Sullivan's moustache! Christopher had found an antique print of said composer and gleefully shredded it at the foot of my bed before delivering the pieces to me one by one. Cheerio $400-$500! One has to laugh...just.
Nick
Utter gent.

Mirosae

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2016, 03:49:16 AM »
Your house must be like Treasure Island Nick... :P

Mirosae

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2016, 03:50:38 AM »
always welcome.. and why.. do you have a stack of ripped in half golden age comics?

;)

Hehe...who knows...we have a huge attic...to be explored...full of rubbish for sure... :P

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2016, 05:38:04 AM »
Your house must be like Treasure Island Nick... :P

More like the The Island of Dr Moreau!
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2016, 12:42:16 PM »
Scatterbrained as I am, when the children were growing up I did tend to leave things a tad unprotected. Hidden away perhaps but not always securely. I remember having a particularly splendid sleepless night and being awoken by our first born (a toddler) pushing paper into my face whilst giggling. I sleepily replied 'Thank-you darling' and grabbed his little scrap of drawing. Seconds later this happened again and again I said thank-you. The third time I opened my bleary eyes wider and could make out part of a head and a moustache. Sir Arthur Sullivan's moustache! Christopher had found an antique print of said composer and gleefully shredded it at the foot of my bed before delivering the pieces to me one by one. Cheerio $400-$500! One has to laugh...just.

What a great (tho painful to read) story, Nick. Quite cute too, to picture your little one delivering carefully torn pieces of colorful paper to you, one by one. Almost as if to hope you would put it all back together for him, once he gave you all said pieces.

Do you laugh about that story to this day?

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2016, 02:51:55 PM »
I haven't damaged any of my posters (yet).  But I do have a non-poster story from over 20 years ago, when I was about 10 years old (oh well, I just gave away my age).

I collected stamps as a youngster.  When I would stay with my grandma in Kansas City during the summer, we would go to garage sales almost every weekend.  Oh, how I am nostalgic for those glorious pre-ebay days of garage sale-ing.  There were treasures to be found for 50 cents or a dollar, and everybody wasn't yet pricing all their old crap as if it was made of solid gold.

One day, probably in 1995, we went to a sale where someone was offering postage stamps from a medium-sized box for 50 cents per "bag" (a ziploc bag you could fill yourself).  I offered to buy the whole box for $3, and the seller accepted.

These were mostly US stamps from the 1920s-40s.  But as I sorted through them there were a smattering of nice older stamps too, including some from the 1893 Columbian Issue, as well as some older definitive stamps.

As I continued to sort, a stamp caught my eye.  The stamp was obviously old, and I noticed that it said "Saint Louis" rather than "United States Postage" or similar.  Even at my young age, I had read enough to be aware of US Postmasters' Provisional Stamps.  These were stamps issued by local postmasters for a couple years prior to the issue of national postage stamps in the USA.

Sure enough, I was looking at a 5 cent St. Louis Bear.  I sensed that this was rare and special, and had an idea it might be valuable.  And I was always very careful with my stamps.  I delicately maneuvered my stamp tongs to lift the stamp from the pile...and seemingly as soon as the tongs touched the stamp, the paper was so brittle that it cracked and crumbled to pieces.

What was a young boy to do except cry?  As far as value, as I recall from my catalog at the time even 20 years ago this stamp was valued in the thousands of dollars.  Today, a similar specimen would probably realize at least $5000.  And depending on condition these Bears can go for far more.

But at least today I have my Mexican posters to keep me happy.  Maybe I have an attraction to brittle crumbling paper.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:02:14 PM by DekeThornton »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2016, 03:51:40 PM »
Amazing and a bit of a bummer story, Deke. Sorry to read that.  crying

And to think that that brittle stamp survived in the jumble of the storage box, with all those others, and held together.

One can only think that if you had decided to grab a handful of stamps to fill a ziplock baggie, the same fate may (or may not) have befallen the little Bear.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »
Hehe...who knows...we have a huge attic...to be explored...full of rubbish for sure... :P

yum.. treasure!

-------

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 05:55:19 PM »
Do you laugh about that story to this day?

Laugh about it? I've just cooked dinner for the son who did it!
Nick
Utter gent.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2016, 08:54:30 AM »
Well, the only one I have damaged and thrown away was one of those infamous Friday the 13th reprints, so I had no issue trashing that one.  Actually what happened was an access panel fell from my basement ceiling a tore that one the worst.  It also put a tear in my Donnie Darko quad which totally pissed me off, but I kept because it was not that bad.
The guy who tore the comic is an ass.  It makes no sense to destroy stuff rather than let someone else who will enjoy it have it.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2016, 12:18:35 AM »
Can't say don't want to crowd the market for my replacement purchases.  eyeroll

Actually, one was a duplicate and that was a rolled Masters of the Universe poster. The other I haven't replaced just yet.

I noticed it's now been over 2 years, Chop.

Any luck on the second damage replacement poster you referenced above? Hope so.

-Jeff

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2016, 01:16:03 AM »
I guess Forrest J. Ackerman has kind of the record of this, cutting up Frankenstein posters, mounting them on plywood, having them stolen or giving them away, etc. But he enjoyed them so I don't think it matters.

I found this Argentinian BARBARELLA on eBay as a buy-it-now for $19.99. It was originally about the same size as the US 30*40 preview poster, that has the same image and goes for several thousand dollars. But someone had decided to cut it down, probably to fit into a frame. I had Dario Casadei linenback it and we decided to not to try to re-create the missing area. I think it looks great and was well worth what I paid!

PS. As soon as I hit buy-it-now, I emailed the seller and asked if maybe he didn't happen to have another one that was uncut? Fat chance...  ;D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 01:18:29 AM by rumble »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2016, 01:47:13 AM »
^ Great, and then you threw it away?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2016, 02:02:40 AM »
I guess Forrest J. Ackerman has kind of the record of this, cutting up Frankenstein posters, mounting them on plywood, having them stolen or giving them away, etc. But he enjoyed them so I don't think it matters.

I found this Argentinian BARBARELLA on eBay as a buy-it-now for $19.99. It was originally about the same size as the US 30*40 preview poster, that has the same image and goes for several thousand dollars. But someone had decided to cut it down, probably to fit into a frame. I had Dario Casadei linenback it and we decided to not to try to re-create the missing area. I think it looks great and was well worth what I paid!

PS. As soon as I hit buy-it-now, I emailed the seller and asked if maybe he didn't happen to have another one that was uncut? Fat chance...  ;D

Hey rumble,

I'm a LONG time "Famous Monsters"/Forry Ackerman fan and have never read about him cutting up Frankie posters, mounting them on plywood, giving them away etc. ( I did read, sadly, about how things were stolen from him and the Ackermansion, at times, tho, when he was older).

Aside from the thefts, what are you referring to, when talking about him cutting up and/or mounting rare, Uni horror posters to plywood?

-Jeff

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2016, 02:21:06 AM »
Hey rumble,

I'm a LONG time "Famous Monsters"/Forry Ackerman fan and have never read about him cutting up Frankie posters, mounting them on plywood, giving them away etc. ( I did read, sadly, about how things were stolen from him and the Ackermansion, at times, tho, when he was older).

Aside from the thefts, what are you referring to, when talking about him cutting up and/or mounting rare, Uni horror posters to plywood?

There were some eBay auctions of posters from the Ackerman estate, and they were mostly in terrible condition. I specifically recall one Frankenstein poster had been cut up and glued to wood. But that's surely because they were not considered particularly valuable at the time he got them, so it made perfect sense to "modify" them in this way to better display them. I'm sure other more knowledgeable people can fill in the story, but it seems that at the end of his life there wasn't really much of value in his collection, either due to poor condition or things having been "lost".
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:21:47 AM by rumble »

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2016, 08:21:24 AM »
I remember reading Ackerman laminated lots of rare horror posters too.
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Online paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2016, 11:12:51 AM »
Lobbies from what I remember Matias..
It's more than a Hobby...

BigBen75

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
Not a rare or expensive poster, but I ripped my GI Joe Retaliation poster right up the middle from the bottom while rolling it up to put in a tube.

I was sad.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2016, 03:44:14 PM »
I "accidentally" put a boot through this lenticular......oops

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2016, 09:55:57 PM »
Lobbies from what I remember Matias..

That's probably right Paul!
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo