Author Topic: Merge Lobby Cards back into Movie Posters  (Read 17753 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Merge Lobby Cards back into Movie Posters
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2014, 01:25:23 AM »
It reminds me of office environments, whereby people create email folders in Outlook for all eventualities.  Push comes to shove however, they cannot for the life of themselves remember which folder any of the emails were stored in.

For my part, I store everything in ONE folder according to project, and then use the Search function.  Anything else is just bloody faff and artificial pretence at 'organisation'.

It is also good to know in the international sense of the internet word, that the US is the be all and end all of 'domestic', and that the rest of the world is 'foreign'.  What if the Mexican film poster is of a Mexican film?  FFS.  A Mexican forum member would have to travel to the 'foreign' section to find his domestic poster...

Fellas, there are parts of the world that might consider the US to be foreign.  I know I do.

I realise that laughably, the Americans hold the 'World Series' that equably laughably, doesn't consider anything outside of its own country borders as worthy of World status but at some point, (American) people will have to start realising that in the international and internet setting, what is foreign to some, is home to others.  Borders are being erroded.

To this end, I consider the new forum sub categories to be laughable.

Thanks for the support, Simes.  eyeroll

And it is no more laughable than your defense of so-called restorer Alain Bourgouin (Poster Science, located in the UK--STAY AWAY and read why here: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6336.0.html) and his pathetic and rude treatment of trusting customers, all the while, doing damage to their beloved posters, or holding them hostage and doing work that was not requested.

Either be true all the way... or say nothing. Half 'n half goes well with coffee.... and little else.

-Jeff

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2014, 03:22:57 AM »
Why not call the category "Non-US Posters" rather than "Foreign Posters". This would appear a little less insular and is more specific.

Mark

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 03:47:59 AM »
Why not call the category "Non-US Posters" rather than "Foreign Posters". This would appear a little less insular and is more specific.

Mark

happy1  He's a wise owl..
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2014, 03:53:51 AM »

Mark

Hi Mark,

To which category are you referring to, specifically? Are you meaning this older topic, created back in May, 2013?:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6152.0.html

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2014, 04:08:49 AM »
And it is no more laughable than your defense of so-called restorer Alain Bourgouin (Poster Science, located in the UK--STAY AWAY and read why here: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,6336.0.html) and his pathetic and rude treatment of trusting customers, all the while, doing damage to their beloved posters, or holding them hostage and doing work that was not requested.

They are both nothing more than opinions sir, and both hold value if not for all, then perhaps only for me.

As for Alain, I did nothing more than relate my own personal experience.  I did however say that he was perhaps typically French which might offer reason for his lack of customer service, and I also said that this behaviour was most certainly detrimental to the success of his business.

So, one might say I was Not supporting him in my estimations, but did offer the facts as to my three or so dealings.

In reference to the 000's of forums though, I am really not sure what one has to do with the other.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:47:14 AM by Simes »

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2014, 08:36:02 AM »
...To which category are you referring to, specifically?

The one that is referred to in the following.

...I asked Jeff to create 2 new categories, one for foreign posters (sorry guys, but Holiday, Jeff and I all reside in the US, so everything else is foreign - yes, even French posters)...

Mark

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
The one that is referred to in the following.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Right now that board is called "Posters By Country", so it is suggestive of any and all non-US posters. But it certainly could be changed to the other.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2014, 12:17:59 PM »
They are both nothing more than opinions sir, and both hold value if not for all, then perhaps only for me.

As for Alain, I did nothing more than relate my own personal experience.  I did however say that he was perhaps typically French which might offer reason for his lack of customer service, and I also said that this behaviour was most certainly detrimental to the success of his business.

So, one might say I was Not supporting him in my estimations, but did offer the facts as to my three or so dealings.

In reference to the 000's of forums though, I am really not sure what one has to do with the other.

Simes, I based my response on your observation of what you thought was "laughable" (the creation of the 2 new boards) and how, in a similar way, my opinion and feeling is of a similar nature with regard to your upholding of Poster Science and their work and work ethic, especially when an entire thread had been devoted to that "nightmare."

We are all entitled to present an opinion here, as well as presenting opposing points of view.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2014, 12:44:17 PM »
Simes, I based my response on your observation of what you thought was "laughable" (the creation of the 2 new boards) and how, in a similar way, my opinion and feeling is of a similar nature with regard to your upholding of Poster Science and their work and work ethic, especially when an entire thread had been devoted to that "nightmare."

We are all entitled to present an opinion here, as well as presenting opposing points of view.

Oh for goodness sake; if you read more closely my response, you will (or may) see that nothing was being upheld in reference to Alain.  I related my few personal good experiences with the guy and at the same time, lamented in agreement with others, at the shocking way he was treating his customers.

At what point does this not sink in fella?

And why is this point being brought for comparison at all.  I did Not disagree with others' experiences of Alain and his practices.  "This is my experience.  I am sorry to hear of others' experiences."...was my message.

I do however disagree with your overly officious and seemingly complicated creation of 000's of forums.  Can we stay on topic and not bring up every other thing you or I might have disagreed with over the years.  It is tiring.

All the best.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »
Oh my goodness, why, oh why does everything have to be such a drama at all times.  To clarify things that don't need to be clarified, I am the one who asked Jeff to create two new threads.  I am computer illiterate and Jeff was kind enough to step in and help.  

And for the record, I like it the way it is.  How is that for French rudeness?

T
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:06:11 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2014, 11:25:55 AM »
In all fairness, T, I think you are failing to see the point here. Simes is a very well respected collector and gentleman and all he has alluded to are the indifferences this forum seems to project at times.

This is a suggestions thread whereby people are entitled to comment on the forum itself - why should he or anyone else be subject to responses regarding posts made elsewhere in the forum?

I am personally happy you have finally allowed someone to help you make this forum a better place, but still, putting all your eggs in one basket with Jeff is bound to cause a few problems. The reason I say that is because there are members, past and present, whom have had and do have experience in forum design and maintenance yet you have almost always rejected the offer of FREE help. Maybe it is a pride thing, I don't know, but it's nothing personal - it's all for the community and to make it a better place.

Jeff, keep up the good work my friend, but Simes does have valid points and I don't think he deserved the responses he received.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 11:29:40 AM by bondposters »
Best wishes,
Adam

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
Adam, I don't know who Simes is and I don't care.  I'm sure he's a great guy, but this is not the point.  The point is that I won't let Jeff take the blame for something I asked him to do.  It seems like everything has to be debated... the banner, the background color of the forum, its title, our organizational choices...  At the end of the day though, Holiday, Jeff, Ted and I have the final say.  You guys are free to talk about it, but we're also free to decide what we think is good for the forum.  Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't.  Sometimes you will agree, sometimes you won't.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2014, 02:47:55 PM »
Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don't.  Sometimes you will agree, sometimes you won't.

Never been on a forum that has been this free.  So free I have made a total ass of myself so many times.  8)

What ever you guys decide to do with it I am 100% behind. Not that I matter  :P

Your house.  thumbup