Author Topic: Merge Lobby Cards back into Movie Posters  (Read 17711 times)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
Merge Lobby Cards back into Movie Posters
« on: June 19, 2014, 04:44:24 AM »
Hello,

Please can I make a case for merging the two above topics.  There is a current trend to cerate ever increasing numbers of different forums but at the end of the day, I believe it has een shown that the forum dedicated to Lobby Cards is redundant.

Otherwise, and following the above trend, we could end up with different forums for Inserts, Half Sheets and all the rest.

Enough, I believe.

Cheers for all.

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: Merge Lobby Cards back into Movie Posters
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 04:55:12 AM »
That is good. Especially since lobby cards ARE posters.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »
Hello,

Please can I make a case for merging the two above topics.  There is a current trend to create ever increasing numbers of different forums but at the end of the day, I believe it has been shown that the forum dedicated to Lobby Cards is redundant.

Otherwise, and following the above trend, we could end up with different forums for Inserts, Half Sheets and all the rest.

Enough, I believe.

Cheers for all.

Terrible spelling - cleaned up a little.

Yes, I believe lobby cards are just another form of poster too.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 12:52:40 PM »
Simes, that can certainly be done. There had been some discussion before that section was created, by people who were more into LC, about having a separate area. And that's why it was made.

If all, including those that asked for a separate LC area, want everything merged back, it's a piece of cake to do. 

And no.. things like HS or inserts would not ever be split off.    ;)

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 04:07:46 PM »
What about daybills?  :D
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 04:23:29 PM »
Arent daybills also posters?

Tho I know some have questioned that.  8)

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 05:09:45 PM »
Simes, that can certainly be done. There had been some discussion before that section was created, by people who were more into LC, about having a separate area. And that's why it was made.

I see.

And such is their proclivity for verbiage that it has become the single most tumbleweed strewn forum on the boards...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 05:11:51 PM »
As I said, Simes.. it's an easy revert. Not a big deal at all.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »
Yeah I know fella.

Just having some fun at someone's expense...

Cheers for all.

Simon.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 05:25:23 PM »
 ;D

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 09:33:13 PM »
way way to many sub categories now, i too would like to see stuff merged back together.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 10:43:12 PM »
The Lobby Card Board has been removed and the various threads and topics from there moved or merged back into the General Movie Poster area.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 05:47:38 AM »
way way to many sub categories now, i too would like to see stuff merged back together.

Yeah, there really are way too many categories.  It has begun to appear to take on the complexity of MPF with 00's of forum sub sub categories that one can get lost in.

Currently there are three separate forums that have the word Dealer in them and Lord only knows (or cares) what they all mean.

Auction House, Dealer & Other Seller Experiences
Dealer's Forum
The Dealer/Auctioneer/Seller Round Table

I fear at this rate, I will just throw everything into the General forum and let Erik chase around in the night Moving stuff around into their various hidden compartments.

And now Poster By Size and Poster By Country - is all this really necessary?  What if someone wants to compare the art between a 1 sheet and an insert?  Into which sub forum does that go.  Similarly a comparison of art between the US and Mexico.  Deary me.  For 20 - 40 members who are posting..?

This is just orderliness for the sake of orderliness.

Apologies if this offends the sensibilities.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 05:57:27 AM »
I agree.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »
I'm a firm believer in Simplest is best..
It's more than a Hobby...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »
I asked Jeff to create 2 new categories, one for foreign posters (sorry guys, but Holiday, Jeff and I all reside in the US, so everything else is foreign - yes, even French posters) and one for specific sizes.  You can still post in the general thread, but things get lost in there, important topics get buried, and I can never find anything.  Enough of us collect foreign gear and it needed to be addressed.  Lobby cards, very few people collect them so I guess they can be merged with posters.  And the dealer threads... I never look at them, so I have no opinion.  Merge, don't merge, it's all the same to me.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »
The thinking has always been to make threads and topics simpler to find, and grouped according to their topic. And because the General Movie Poster Board was becoming a catch-all for every topic, whether it had to do with actual posters or not, there were times when multiple threads on the same subject were created because members didnt know, or didnt want to have to sift and search thru 39+ pages of material there, in order to possibly find something.

Let alone that certain threads have gotten buried and forgotten about, as T said. A few more sub-category boards should make it easier. One click and topics about posters from other countries are all together, same with the board dealing with buying selling, sniping. Or poster sizes. Those common threads are now all in better suited boards.

The moving of threads and topics wasn't (and isn't being) done to make things more complex, dilute the forum, or on some random whim, but to make looking, searching and posting a little more concise, rather than members having to meander thru a General section that was fast becoming the "melting pot" home to every topic under the sun.

-Jeff

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2014, 03:11:41 PM »
I'd like to introduce the nifty little feature called the Search box (top right).  It works wonders for finding things.  :P

I've completely given up using the main forum structure.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2014, 03:27:01 PM »
I'd like to introduce the nifty little feature called the Search box (top right).  It works wonders for finding things.  :P

I've completely given up using the main forum structure.

sm1

Yet, as we know, some want things laid out right before, them too.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 06:16:36 PM »
It reminds me of office environments, whereby people create email folders in Outlook for all eventualities.  Push comes to shove however, they cannot for the life of themselves remember which folder any of the emails were stored in.

For my part, I store everything in ONE folder according to project, and then use the Search function.  Anything else is just bloody faff and artificial pretence at 'organisation'.

It is also good to know in the international sense of the internet word, that the US is the be all and end all of 'domestic', and that the rest of the world is 'foreign'.  What if the Mexican film poster is of a Mexican film?  FFS.  A Mexican forum member would have to travel to the 'foreign' section to find his domestic poster...

Fellas, there are parts of the world that might consider the US to be foreign.  I know I do.

I realise that laughably, the Americans hold the 'World Series' that equably laughably, doesn't consider anything outside of its own country borders as worthy of World status but at some point, (American) people will have to start realising that in the international and internet setting, what is foreign to some, is home to others.  Borders are being erroded.

To this end, I consider the new forum sub categories to be laughable.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 06:22:07 PM »
However, in the spirit of the exercise, I still recognise I am a visitor on someone else's forum, so celebrate their organisation thereof.

That said, I would submit the need for a Sub Category as follows;

General Discussion - Posters - Simes - Foreign or Domestic - Any size - Any year - Age 40-50 - Yahoo

Please could this be given due consideration by the posterati under the current administration for future implementation.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 07:06:11 PM »

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 10:23:23 PM »
You know what shits me? In some video stores in australia they put Aussie videos I'm foreign section.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 11:48:34 PM »
Arent daybills also posters?

Tho I know some have questioned that.  8)

They are at a whole echelon above posters.  Daybills are transcendent!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2014, 12:41:39 AM »
They are at a whole echelon above posters.  Daybills are transcendent!

I knew it was something like that.  ;D

-Jeff