Author Topic: Censoring the Forum Has Been Accomplished!  (Read 50080 times)

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
Re: Censoring the Forum Has Been Accomplished!
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2014, 01:57:44 PM »

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »
While I respect that the owners are doing some market testing, I am in favor of restoring full access to non-members.  As I tried to articulate in my post about the mid-auction thread, we were only talking about a *very* narrow area of discussion there.  And I was never in favor of censoring the thread -- I just wanted some sort of acknowledgement and explanation of the differing view points, perhaps pinned to the first page as one potential solution.  Ultimately I was fine with the thread remaining open as long as people were respectful of the impact their posts might have on other peoples pocket books.  I was (and still am) only in favor of locking it as a last resort.  

However, IMO what is being tested now has nothing to do with that discussion or poll.  If there was a poll asking if we should lock 30% of the forum (the part which has most of the popular threads) to non-members, not even letting them see which areas were missing -- I would vote "Hell No".  I do think it would be a major turn off to new members, I know it would be for me.  Maybe I'm projecting my own opinion, but I would think the poll would result in a decisive "no".  

I know Rich is trying to conflate the issues here so he can try to take the moral high ground on all "censorship" discussions, but they are totally different.  If anyone is keeping track of the different issues, my votes are:

1. Mid-auction thread -- Knowing there is a 50/50 split in opinions I'm also fine keeping it as-is, but I would prefer that an explanation be added to the first post.
2. 30% of forum locked to non-members -- Maybe an interesting experiment, but a bad idea in the long run IMO.  

Matt Talks too much sense for a young'un, I agree this was not what the point was about, just the lack of etiquette amongst a few on the board.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »
As i said, nothing is etched in stone. And what is also interesting is why some members are now expressing concern about what non-members can view or not. In the past it was complaining about their global access and them being non contributors and freeloaders. Yet, today, it is the opposite POV, as has been expressed above, by some.

And im not referring to the few APF "sheep" who simply follow & agree or disagree, just because it suits their fancy or whim of the day.  :P

It's getting to be like a regular ping pong game.  ;D

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2014, 02:29:42 PM »
I agree this was not what the point was about, just the lack of etiquette amongst a few on the board.

To be fair, only a select few were outing auctions just to rile others up.  Most of the time, however, it ended up being well-meaning newer members genuinely trying to help.  As someone who outed an auction or two in my early days I fully sympathize and hold no grudges.  

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2014, 02:32:38 PM »
I wonder which one Mel is...

I'll go with this one.  If you think about his posters it makes sense...

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php?action=profile;u=4630

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2014, 03:13:52 PM »
I know Rich is trying to conflate the issues here so he can try to take the moral high ground on all "censorship" discussions, but they are totally different.  If anyone is keeping track of the different issues, my votes are:

Not at all Matt.
My very good friend who was here yesterday and is not registered, but is a good spending buyer in the hobby mentioned it to me
He is present on all the forums, but he doesn't participate for a number of reasons, one being that he doesn't see any value in the tit-for-tat that lots of members on forums get involved in and to Chris who seems to think I'm mentioning this because I'm a dealer - pay attention to this comment - I'm a bigger COLLECTOR than 90% or more of the collectors here.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
Wow. So you have to register to read the forum now, all to "protect" the few people who believe they can make a score by keeping eBay auctions secret? This is one of the most stupid things I have ever heard. Way to go to keep the community welcoming and open, guys!

thumbup

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2014, 03:17:23 PM »
One thing I am not clear about. Do the Dealer's Forum and For Sale threads NOT show to anyone except for registered users?

And would this forum suffer in any way if those two threads were simply eliminated? Other than the dealers themselves, would anyone mind? Or as an alternate, why not restrict each dealer to a single thread, rather than endless new ones?

It sure might end a lot of the endless quarreling, and it seems that all the registered users are well aware of the auctions that occur on a regular basis.

once again, a ridiculous concept and one that affects all the smaller businesses Bruce doesn't like competing with more than himself.

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2014, 03:18:08 PM »
I agree with Rich and Rumble. Forcing one to register/log in just so they can read the forum is just stupid. This hobby is small and this just helps make it smaller. Dumb decision

thumbup

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2014, 03:19:49 PM »
Not at all Matt.
My very good friend who was here yesterday and is not registered, but is a good spending buyer in the hobby mentioned it to me
He is present on all the forums, but he doesn't participate for a number of reasons, one being that he doesn't see any value in the tit-for-tat that lots of members on forums get involved in and to Chris who seems to think I'm mentioning this because I'm a dealer - pay attention to this comment - I'm a bigger COLLECTOR than 90% or more of the collectors here.

But rich, your friend could also register and not participate at all if he didnt want to, (and as a good number of other members do). But i see your point. And was just throwing that into the mix, as well.  ;)

-Jeff

boxofficebrian

« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2014, 03:31:28 PM »

This thread has single handedly kept me entertained the entire working day :)

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2014, 03:40:16 PM »
But rich, your friend could also register and not participate at all if he didnt want to, (and as a good number of other members do). But i see your point. And was just throwing that into the mix, as well.  ;)

I would also say fuck this guy.  He takes without giving. Reaping the benefits without doing any of the work. I couldn't care less about some lazy dude who can't bother to send an email.

Rumble's hyperbolic notions of Armageddon are ridiculous. Once you a make a single sub-section blocked to the freeloaders and put in a single thread or two and then unblock the rest and then, poof, no big deal...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2014, 03:40:45 PM »

believe me, I understand that. But most people clearly enjoy their anonymity.
Why do you think that there are 20 or so regularly posting members and hundreds that do not? It's because they only want "so much involvement".

I think Chris said they can join up and never post. well the question would be "why join if you aren't going to post?" Just so Chris can see Jimi Jo or Posterfreaky's name in the list at the bottom of the home page?

The more open things are, the more likely people will enter the hobby because the forum becomes an advertisement for it.
It's the same on most forums.

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2014, 03:58:13 PM »
believe me, I understand that. But most people clearly enjoy their anonymity.
Why do you think that there are 20 or so regularly posting members and hundreds that do not? It's because they only want "so much involvement".

I think Chris said they can join up and never post. well the question would be "why join if you aren't going to post?" Just so Chris can see Jimi Jo or Posterfreaky's name in the list at the bottom of the home page?

The more open things are, the more likely people will enter the hobby because the forum becomes an advertisement for it.
It's the same on most forums.

If one signs up and chooses a some random term or non-name as their username AND they opt to hide their email from view on their profile page..then isnt that about as anonymous as one can get? His/her identity is hidden and there is no way to get in touch directly, unless a PM is sent.

Doesn't that offer a real choice of how cloaked one can choose to be, even as a registered member?

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2014, 03:59:22 PM »
and to Chris who seems to think I'm mentioning this because I'm a dealer - pay attention to this comment - I'm a bigger COLLECTOR than 90% or more of the collectors here.

What does this prove Rich?  You clearly have dual interests no matter how you try to spin it.  We know you crusade against any form of censorship.  To me, blocking threads from view in this manner is not really censorship - the information is still available, you just have to type and click a little.  The take, take, take "I want instant information without doing any work of my own or contributing to the overall knowledge base of the hobby" philosophy of some really gets old after a while...why not at least encourage new member signups by making the gold only accessible to those with the simple initiative to e-mail Holiday?  

I believe Jeff confirmed the Dealer/For Sale threads are no longer blocked and so there's no need for the titans of this hobby to jump off that cliff because the free advertising space went invisible to the lurkers/leechers/lazy bastards...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2014, 04:02:13 PM »
If one signs up and chooses a some random term or non-name as their username AND they opt to hide their email from view on their profile page..then isnt that about as anonymous as one can get? His/her identity is hidden and there is no way to get in touch directly, unless a PM is sent.

Doesn't that offer a real choice of how cloaked one can choose to be, even as a registered member?

Yes.  That's the whole point of a forum avatar...if you need information about the hobby and must read a forum such as this to get it, what is so wrong about requiring registration which may, just may, also encourage those taking the information to give back at some point?
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2014, 04:15:55 PM »
I would also say fuck this 'guy'.

Fixed.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

• Post-aholic
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2014, 04:17:02 PM »

right, so tell me then, why does it matter if they show up as "member" or "guest"?

who cares how many visitors there are except from the perspective that they actually stopped by to take a look?

and Chris, your comment is hollow. I was not concerned that the Dealer's threads might not be visible.
Not one iota.
I want people to stop by, take a look, find useful information & enjoy themselves.

my website www.comic-art.com
you know, I started that in 1994 - FREE
it has about 300 pages, all written by me except for some interviews a friend of mine did and there is no commercial merchandise for sale on that site. It does point to sites that do, but it is a resource site. I get requests from teachers all the time who wish to use it in their classes and I let them take whatever they want.

for all you guys who want people to post images, FREE. Or use YouTube to listen to music, FREE.. should recognize that closing off parts of the net is a self-defeating action.

that Jeff pointed out some members take both sides of the argument depending on how each side benefits them is an excellent point.
So just open it all. No hypocrisy, just knowledge, FREE.

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »
right, so tell me then, why does it matter if they show up as "member" or "guest"?

I think the basic philosophy is - if someone takes the time or shows the interest to actually sign up to get information, there is a higher probability they will actually feel compelled to participate/donate something of their own in return.  Obviously this will not be the case for all (and there is no obligation) but for the doom and gloomers who say the hobby will die without increased engagement it's worth a shot...
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2014, 04:34:29 PM »
I think the basic philosophy is - if someone takes the time or shows the interest to actually sign up to get information, there is a higher probability they will actually feel compelled to participate/donate something of their own in return.  Obviously this will not be the case for all (and there is no obligation) but for the doom and gloomers who say the hobby will die without increased engagement it's worth a shot...

then why are there more than 10 times as many registered members as there are regularly posting members??

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2014, 04:36:51 PM »
then why are there more than 10 times as many registered members as there are regularly posting members??

1/10 registered and "participating" is better than 0/100 leechers doing nothing but sucking blood
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2014, 04:40:45 PM »
1/10 registered and "participating" is better than 0/100 leechers doing nothing but sucking blood

that's your opinion. Clearly it is an opinion not shared by a majority of those that voted in the OUTING thread which stands at 22-26 to keep the Mid-auction thread open

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »
that's your opinion. Clearly it is an opinion not shared by a majority of those that voted in the OUTING thread which stands at 22-26 to keep the Mid-auction thread open

Can't fix stupid unfortunately

And besides you, Bruce, Cinemasterjesus and 5 star Melvin likely just used your fake second accounts to swing the #'s ;)
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2014, 04:45:21 PM »
Can't fix stupid unfortunately

well, we don't have to count those 22.. they are the minority
 :P

-------