Author Topic: Censoring the Forum Has Been Accomplished!  (Read 49970 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Censoring the Forum Has Been Accomplished!
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2014, 12:50:12 AM »
;D

Making a section of a forum open to members only is censorship? Im not so sure about that so I am going to have to look it up.

I may have learned a second thing. Its hard to register for this forum. I must have gotten lucky.

How so? It takes anyone sending a simple email request to join, and, voila, it's done.   ;)

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2014, 04:36:05 AM »
They are only losers if they choose to be.  Anyone freaked out by having to register, when you have to register to do just about ANYTHING on the internet now-a-days, may very well deserve the label.  

This is because there is a nasty "protectionist" movement on content....and we should defy that trend...it's far more liberating to be part of a free flow of information..why even post in a public forum unless other people can view it?....the fact that people could read and study and expand their horizons on this forum BEFORE they joined was what interested me initially....if APF blocks large swaths of active boards....then APF is choosing what other people can view or access...before they decide whether to register or not....that is restrictive enough to be considered censorship....it's ironic that the key word is "ALL" because it's starting to look more and more like "SOME"....
Tait

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2014, 05:59:17 AM »
This is because there is a nasty "protectionist" movement on content....and we should defy that trend...it's far more liberating to be part of a free flow of information..why even post in a public forum unless other people can view it?....the fact that people could read and study and expand their horizons on this forum BEFORE they joined was what interested me initially....if APF blocks large swaths of active boards....then APF is choosing what other people can view or access...before they decide whether to register or not....that is restrictive enough to be considered censorship....it's ironic that the key word is "ALL" because it's starting to look more and more like "SOME"....

Actually, as far as the internet is concerned, it has little to do with a 'protectionist' movement on content and everything to do with building email lists and tracking user habits.

APF isn't going to be blocking 'large swaths' of anything.  What part of 'a couple of threads' is confusing?

captonron

« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2014, 11:46:32 AM »
How so? It takes anyone sending a simple email request to join, and, voila, it's done.   ;)

I sent multiple emails and waited over a month to get registered. I even had a member of this forum inquire about my registration for me.

Registering is not as easy as people are making it seem.

And I lurk, and didn't even need to register at the time to see anything.

As a new collector of posters, I find this thread and the mid auction lockout thread extremely discouraging.  Where did the fun go for you guys if this is what there is to talk and complain about? Is it really that serious?  Is it worth getting all riled up about?  All this name calling and bickering because of a forum post.  It just doesn't seem worth it.

Of course, this is just my perspective as a new collector and as what some of you are calling a lazy freeloader, who by the way, never even looked in the mid-auction thread until all the fuss started.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:42:32 PM by captonron »

Bruce

« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2014, 11:57:16 AM »
Where did the fun go for you guys?

Great question!

Here's a very old joke for all of you:

"“So I was watching this lady on the train, the other day. She was carrying a baby, minding her own business, you know, but in the seat in front of her, there’s this drunk guy. And the drunk kept turning around and looking back,  and every time, he said: ‘Thas’ th’ uglies’ baby I evah saaaw.’

“The lady tried to ignore him. ‘Thas’ th’ uglies’ baby I evah saaaw.’ She’d turn aside holding her baby closer, but the drunk got louder. ‘Thas’ th’ uglies’ baby I evah saaaw.’

“Finally, the lady had to call the conductor — and the conductor shows up and takes charge. He hustles the drunk out of the car, and then comes back to apologize.

“‘On behalf of the B&O Railroad, I want to extend to you our sincere apologies. You paid for your ticket, and you have every right to a safe and pleasant journey. With our compliments, I’ll be bringing you a cold drink now. ‘ He smiled and took off his conductor’s cap. ‘And maybe while I’m back there, I can find a banana for your monkey.’”

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2014, 12:28:38 PM »
You have to wonder how many more like captonron are out there. Probably more than a few.

Right now if one is not a member or not logged in they can't see GENERAL DISCUSSION under MOVIE POSTERS. This is insane! This is probably where over 90% of this boards activity takes place. A newbie discovering the site for the first time would never know what they were missing and quite possibly avoid it altogether because it looks uninteresting.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2014, 12:42:06 PM »
I sent multiple emails and waited over a month to get registered. I even had a member of this forum inquire about my registration for me.

To captonron and all.

This lag time has been remedied as holiday and thierry have asked me to help out with registering new members. As an example- of those that emailed this week, saying they wanted to join, all were replied to and their accounts activated the very same day that their email was received.

So any long wait time between a request to join and activation will be eliminated.

cheers

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2014, 12:47:37 PM »

And I lurk, and didn't even need to register at the time to see anything.

As a new collector of posters, I find this thread and the mid auction lockout thread extremely discouraging.  Where did the fun go for you guys if this is what there is to talk and complain about? Is it really that serious?  Is it worth getting all riled up about?  All this name calling and bickering because of a forum post.  It just doesn't seem worth it.

Of course, this is just my perspective as a new collector and as what some of you are calling a lazy freeloader, who by the way, never even looked in the mid-auction thread until all the fuss started.

That process of registering new members has been streamlined now Capt :) no more waiting....did my best to get ya registered faster

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2014, 02:29:18 PM »
Yes, Jeff's new name is the Eliminator....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2014, 02:44:03 PM »
You have to wonder how many more like captonron are out there. Probably more than a few.

Right now if one is not a member or not logged in they can't see GENERAL DISCUSSION under MOVIE POSTERS. This is insane! This is probably where over 90% of this boards activity takes place. A newbie discovering the site for the first time would never know what they were missing and quite possibly avoid it altogether because it looks uninteresting.

thumbup

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2014, 02:45:06 PM »

part of a well stated response that is well stated

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2014, 04:00:42 PM »

You would have had to have read the mid-auction thread in order to qualify for freeloader status.   :)

Noobs, such as you, are not the 'freeloader' lurkers that we are talking about.  The 'freeloaders' are the more experienced collectors who could contribute, but don't.

Mirosae

« Reply #112 on: June 15, 2014, 05:03:02 AM »
Why locking the restoration thread? The selection of open/closed threads makes no sense!

Oh well...time to go out and enjoy some real life..

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #113 on: June 15, 2014, 05:43:07 AM »
I would register. It's not a big fucking deal.  And if they don't want to register, they can piss off.

I haven't logged out so I haven't seen what has happened to the forum, but a long time customer of mine just left my office after visiting while he is in town for a few days and he told me that because he isn't a registered member that apparently he can't see very much of the forum now

all I can say is, to those who wish to withhold the free sharing of information with other have accomplished their interests and the free flow of information to other like-minded people has been net-neutralized

You know, I for one am all for the free flow of information
It's called "sharing"

I think that those who wish to cry about the 243 guests vs 22 members reading posts need to look at things from the other side: why would more than 10 times as many guests as opposed to  registered members prefer to only read the articles here, rather than join in and get involved?

here's another question, how would you folks like it if the IMDB shut down 99% of the information that was available to you unless you were registered?
or what if Photobucket galleries were only visible to those of you who are logged in (if you have a membership)?

Ithink that the majority of any of you are not members on those sites, but wish to use the full facilities archived.

food for thought, if you're hungry

Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #114 on: June 15, 2014, 05:55:25 AM »
I would register. It's not a big fucking deal.  And if they don't want to register, they can piss off.

Oh yeah, and I wanted to thank you for stirring the shit once again, Rich.

I have a real problem with people who want to lurk about, as your customer seems to want to do, and then not participate and even grouse about having to register.   Rather than be grateful that the resource is available, they piss and moan.

And then the rest of you who complaint about requiring registration, from the nice comfy seat of one who is registered!  What hypocrisy!

One of the biggest problems with the world, and the subset of the world that frequents this forum, is that people just like to piss and moan about the bad, because they don't get the same zing out of focusing on the good.  Given the choice between a negative comment and a positive one, most will choose the positive.

Maybe I'm just burnt out on this place.  I don't know. But most every fucking time I come to MY OWN FORUM, I have to endure the bellyaching.  We've gone from bellyaching about auction-outing to bellyaching about some new changes to the forum.

For the love of God, and I can't say this strongly enough, IF YOU DO NOT LIKE WHAT'S GOING ON HERE, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.  Start your own forum as others have done.  But please, leave your negative bullshit at the door.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2014, 12:35:23 PM »
I see that H locked this thread, and no am not standing behind that lock, to avoid responses. I'm only saying here what i have expressed before. And it is this:

No boards or topics/threads are locked from any member's view.

And why the outcry from some who did take the time needed (less than a min) to register, for lurking guests (who cant be bothered to join) because they are now limited on what they see, in a couple of areas? As H said, this is such hypocrisy. First, it was complaints over what the lurking crowd could take or gain from here without ever giving back, and now some have taken the "Oh the poor deprived Guests" attitude.

The board's appearance and accessibility remains unchanged for any and all members. Please remember that before complaining. And should new memberships not increase at all, due to "the teaser effect" of full access upon membership, then the board will be returned to full global access to all Guests.  ;)

This is all supposed to be about sharing and discussing a fun and fascinating hobby.

Ever forward.  
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 03:11:29 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff