Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2167089 times)

Offline Starling

• Collector
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8700 on: July 26, 2021, 07:12:49 PM »
Okie, I love the image so much I picked up the US title card last year :)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #8701 on: July 26, 2021, 07:29:53 PM »
T:  What a rarity you won, my friend! Do you know any more specifics about this version of the poster?  The HA description was pretty good, though is there more?  Congrats

Antoine: I watched with much interest the Black Sunday you won.  Very nice poster and art!

I'm very, very happy to have bought the Bordertown Italian 4 fogli as this image by Martinati is just stunning. My best to all, Okie

I join everyone in congratulating you Okie, I've always found this to be one of the great Italian posters from the 1930s.  I was surprised that it didn't lead to more robust bidding during the sale, which is great since you got it for a lot less than the estimate, well done!

Great US title card by the way, Starling!

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8702 on: July 26, 2021, 10:26:56 PM »
Thanks, Tob, Monster, Starling, T, and Antoine!  I was pleasantly surprised and look forward to framing and enjoying it.

Starling: your Bordertown TC is fabulous!  Another great rarity of beauty!

Okie

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8703 on: July 28, 2021, 02:56:39 AM »
T:  What a rarity you won, my friend! Do you know any more specifics about this version of the poster?  The HA description was pretty good, though is there more?  Congrats

Antoine: I watched with much interest the Black Sunday you won.  Very nice poster and art!

I'm very, very happy to have bought the Bordertown Italian 4 fogli as this image by Martinati is just stunning. My best to all, Okie

Isn't that lovely!

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8704 on: July 28, 2021, 02:49:30 PM »
yes, looking forward to the poster-in-frame photo Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8705 on: July 28, 2021, 06:42:37 PM »
Thank Simes!  Redman, I'm hoping Confidential Agent and Bordertown can share a flippable frame.  They're so big!  Okie

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8706 on: August 03, 2021, 01:21:31 PM »
Anyone have any predictions on the Frankenstein TC tonight?
The single most desirable lobby card there is, in the nicest shape to appear at public auction in at least 20 years.
Even before the explosion in prices this year (hello, $52K Werewolf of London TC, and $45K Van Sloan/Manners Drac card) this is an easy $100K item, and realistically should end somewhere in the $125-150K range.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8707 on: December 23, 2021, 04:20:58 PM »
Some serious bidding from Dave aka Cinemasterpieces

pw1sh

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8708 on: December 23, 2021, 05:40:22 PM »
Hahaha I remember a time when he was selling those for $400 and everyone was shaking their heads.  I'm guessing if he buys them for $400 now, he must feel he can sell them for twice that.  Times change.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Heather_Mason_SH3

• Beginner
« Reply #8709 on: December 23, 2021, 07:11:22 PM »
Hahaha I remember a time when he was selling those for $400 and everyone was shaking their heads.  I'm guessing if he buys them for $400 now, he must feel he can sell them for twice that.  Times change.

T
Ah, so he's known for that type of thing then?
It's thanks to him that I lost a poster I was in the process of buying. The seller said they talked to him and was told the poster was "super rare" and was convinced to that it was worth three times as much as what I was going to purchase it for.
I've always seen his posters listed for way more than they're actually worth and of course some sellers think just because that's what he has them listed at that it *must* be what the poster sells for.

I just ended up buying the poster from another seller who gave it to me at a more reasonable price.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8710 on: December 23, 2021, 07:46:51 PM »
He is extremely knowledgeable and extremely expensive.  Hi Dave!  He also has an amazing website.  I would never recommend expensive dealers, heck I would not recommend any dealers, but I somehow have a fondness for Dave.  I think he's actually good for the hobby.  And you do get what you pay for.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8711 on: December 23, 2021, 08:47:34 PM »
I think also some buyers don't want to hunt and just want the poster. They are willing to pay for the ease of just buying what they want.  I know if I add up the amount of time spent in "the hunt" that time can be significant. Okie

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8712 on: December 23, 2021, 09:38:54 PM »

T

He had them listed for $450 for a long time. I just checked and the cinemaster price for the last ones was $995.  faint2.gif Maybe that $450 wasn't too crazy back then if folks on eMovie are bidding close to that much now.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8713 on: February 03, 2022, 11:19:22 AM »
Are we ok to out Sotheby's auctions considering bargains are somewhat hard to come by at that venue? If so, some nice ones are currently up...

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2022/original-film-posters

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8714 on: February 04, 2022, 04:20:03 AM »
'somewhat' might be the understatement of the year thus far...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8715 on: February 04, 2022, 10:23:49 AM »
Great stuff, thanks for sharing, although looking at it is the only thing I can afford to do.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8717 on: February 13, 2022, 11:33:02 PM »
https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/octopussy-mgm-ua-1983-folded-very-good-fine-one-sheet-27-x-41-dan-goozee-artwork-james-bond/p/162209-24008.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

I would grade that "excellent"; but on my scale, excellent is one of the lowest grades after "good" and "fine".
What a difference from this Very Good/Fine of the same title that HA offered a couple years ago: https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/james-bond/octopussy-mgm-ua-1983-rolled-very-good-fine-one-sheet-27-x-41-dan-goozee-artwork-james-bond/a/162013-55343.s?

They barely kick Grey out the door and already spiraling down.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8718 on: February 13, 2022, 11:50:39 PM »
I would grade it as "poor" or "keep away from".  Anything with missing pieces, especially post 1970 is poor in my scale.

T

My Personal Collection

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #8719 on: February 13, 2022, 11:51:58 PM »
Grey Smith is...GONE???
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8720 on: February 14, 2022, 12:46:07 AM »
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #8721 on: February 14, 2022, 01:45:05 AM »
Golly. Thank you for that. I was totally clueless. Despite HA's $30 premium price right off the top on the first bid and bigger fees all around, Grey was a classy, familiar, and somewhat friendly  entity on the site. It's too bad he is gone.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8722 on: February 14, 2022, 04:52:48 AM »
They barely kick Grey out the door and already spiraling down.

Nah, this is vintage, laugh-a-minute, standard Heritage grading.

The entire poster could be missing in action, and it'd still be graded Fine.

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8723 on: February 14, 2022, 05:59:15 AM »
Nah, this is vintage, laugh-a-minute, standard Heritage grading.
The entire poster could be missing in action, and it'd still be graded Fine.

Except of course when it's not, like this Davy Crocket graded VG just a week ago: https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/western/davy-crockett-king-of-the-wild-frontier-buena-vista-1955-folded-very-good-one-sheet-27-x-41-western/a/162206-51090.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

even signature pieces can be downgraded, remember the Wizard of Oz that was Fair/Good?
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #8724 on: February 14, 2022, 11:05:30 AM »
The photos of the Dracula insert in the upcoming signature auction make the restoration look a little poor. I feel like Fine/Very Fine is a stretch based on the condition issues noted.

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/horror/dracula-universal-1931-fine-very-fine-on-linen-insert-14-x-36-/p/7272-51005.s?ic=Home-FeaturedItems-071515