Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2167132 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8425 on: March 09, 2019, 09:35:47 PM »
Hi Cabman, It's just my taste, as I would simply do without rather than have this version being discussed whether it's 49 international or 70s.  I just don't care at all for it.  Eye of the beholder, eh? Okie

Why not have it discussed? There are 2 views on what this poster is. Only one answer can be correct, and I think it would benefit all collectors to learn and know, what this poster is, regardless if one likes the design or not.

Having it remain a mystery makes zero sense (imho). ;)

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8426 on: March 09, 2019, 10:23:09 PM »
Why not have it discussed? There are 2 views on what this poster is. Only one answer can be correct, and I think it would benefit all collectors to learn and know, what this poster is, regardless if one likes the design or not.

Hi Jeff, Ah, I didn't mean to say it shouldn't be discussed, rather I don't find the poster that is being discussed of any beauty at all. I updated my original post to hopefully make my point more clear.  Okie
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 10:27:58 PM by okiehawker »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8427 on: March 10, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »
Anyone in the market for a folded JAWS OS poster?

Opening bid is $800.00 smackers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293001452532

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #8428 on: March 10, 2019, 07:56:13 PM »
Anyone in the market for a folded JAWS OS poster?

Opening bid is $800.00 smackers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293001452532

Now that Im shopping again I would love one as its on my big list but $800 sounds crazy to me.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8429 on: March 10, 2019, 08:25:52 PM »
From looking at the other listings on eBay, his $800. asking price is the cheapest at the moment. All the other copies are $1000+! I disagree with his opinion the it could be the finest folded copy out there. Bruce had a tri-folded copy about 2 years ago and that copy was superior.

Okie, I agree with you that the monotone CASABLANCA is blah. The '49 is much better. The original 1-sheet, to me, is a missed opportunity. The art on all the other original release sizes are so much better than the 1-sheet.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8430 on: March 11, 2019, 06:41:25 AM »
Yes, and Bruce has just sold one for $2k+

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/15845518.html

$800 seems a steal!

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8431 on: March 11, 2019, 08:36:08 AM »
^ Bruce price was fold free

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #8432 on: March 11, 2019, 11:46:31 AM »
I'll give him $299 for the Jaws poster.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8433 on: March 11, 2019, 02:04:56 PM »
Bad condition too.  I see tons of handling marks on the CU pictures.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8434 on: March 13, 2019, 06:28:22 PM »
#1 the folds are not in the printing

but more importantly
#2 I have had this poster

also
#3 other experts agree with Heritage

by the way
#4 Heritage would properly examine and vet the poster for authenticity, before letting their reputation suffer

I would welcome any information or evidence EMP would post regarding this poster as proof, but they didn't last time we discussed this poster and I'm sure they won't now either. There is also a key phrase in EMP's description when they say "we did not know" concerning their previous sale

furthermore, as I posted last time as well, this poster is absolutely NOT a reproduction of the US 1949R poster. Some of the fonts are different and the image isn't exactly the same either, with numerous differences. Pretty sure I posted side-by-side images and mentioned some of these differences in the prior discussion

have you been gagged by HA for writing such bollocks?

#1 still waiting for your opinion of probable evidence of fold marks being in the print
#2 wtf is this supposed to mean? you held it so you must be correct?? LOL
#3 thats good. please share this information
#4 all good. i'd imagine all auction houses do this? anyway this is about the poster, not HA

still waiting for different fonts/numerous image differences evidence

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8435 on: March 14, 2019, 02:32:35 PM »
...There are 2 views on what this poster is. Only one answer can be correct, and I think it would benefit all collectors to learn and know, what this poster is, regardless if one likes the design or not.

It does seem to be a mystery, and there is a theory where both answers could be correct, but in an effort to find out more about this poster (as I've not seen one in person), I reached out to Grey to inquire about the poster since he is the only person we are aware of with one in hand.
He was gracious enough to put it on a light box and take photos to be shared with the group. The photos clearly show that there are actual fold lines on the poster. He stated that there are no printed fold lines, and that the paper is definitely vintage paper stock.

Good enough to convince me the poster they are offering is not a 1970s reproduction.
If Redman would like to argue that Grey doesn't know vintage paper stock, or that he can't tell the difference between printed folds and actual folds, he is welcome to and I won't attempt to rebut his argument.

So, what to make of Bruce's claim that the poster is for a 70s film festival? I'm not sure. Has anyone ever seen an advertisement for this alleged festival, or know where this festival was held, or who might have printed the posters to sell at said festival?

Could Bruce be mistaken about the poster? Maybe, but since he doesn't have it in hand any longer there is no way for him to double check. We only know that the one being offered currently is certainly not printed on 70s paper and doesn't have printed fold lines so it does not match the description of the one he sold.

But there is another possible answer.
Could the answer be that the organizers of the alleged festival actually reproduced this particular poster and not the US 1-sheet?
That theory would certainly allow Bruce to save face in light of the current evidence.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8436 on: March 14, 2019, 03:02:58 PM »
It does seem to be a mystery, and there is a theory where both answers could be correct, but in an effort to find out more about this poster (as I've not seen one in person), I reached out to Grey to inquire about the poster since he is the only person we are aware of with one in hand.
He was gracious enough to put it on a light box and take photos to be shared with the group. The photos clearly show that there are actual fold lines on the poster. He stated that there are no printed fold lines, and that the paper is definitely vintage paper stock.

Good enough to convince me the poster they are offering is not a 1970s reproduction.
If Redman would like to argue that Grey doesn't know vintage paper stock, or that he can't tell the difference between printed folds and actual folds, he is welcome to and I won't attempt to rebut his argument.

So, what to make of Bruce's claim that the poster is for a 70s film festival? I'm not sure. Has anyone ever seen an advertisement for this alleged festival, or know where this festival was held, or who might have printed the posters to sell at said festival?

Could Bruce be mistaken about the poster? Maybe, but since he doesn't have it in hand any longer there is no way for him to double check. We only know that the one being offered currently is certainly not printed on 70s paper and doesn't have printed fold lines so it does not match the description of the one he sold.

But there is another possible answer.
Could the answer be that the organizers of the alleged festival actually reproduced this particular poster and not the US 1-sheet?
That theory would certainly allow Bruce to save face in light of the current evidence.

Great info, Sean.

And a huge shout out and thanks to Grey Smith who took the time to provide the light box photos, showing true fold lines rather suspected printed ones. clap clap  notworthy.gif

-Jeff

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8437 on: March 14, 2019, 04:33:42 PM »
not sure what i'm looking at to be honest - wasn't poster folded there anyway?
the picture i posted is from a HA sale (fairly certain 2018). i guess the poster in this image could have been refolded incorrectly but they sure looked like printed fold-lines to me
thanks for update, i will probably pass on bidding for it thumbup

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8438 on: March 14, 2019, 05:24:57 PM »
not sure what i'm looking at to be honest - wasn't poster folded there anyway?
the picture i posted is from a HA sale (fairly certain 2018). i guess the poster in this image could have been refolded incorrectly but they sure looked like printed fold-lines to me
thanks for update, i will probably pass on bidding for it thumbup

and what about the fact it is on correct paper?
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8439 on: March 14, 2019, 05:40:05 PM »
^ when a poster is linen-backed it is washed and things are done to it. is it possible for the paper to be then harder to date?
if not then i guess it is from 1949. i still believe bruce to be telling the truth also though ;D

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8440 on: March 14, 2019, 05:51:57 PM »
Sotheby’s sure has some “advanced” prices. The Japanese TOTORO is kind of rare, but £1,300 rare?! Wonder if they will sell mine too!
https://www.sothebys.com/buy/b505b7a0-4818-4a70-b76c-e70ff9c56c8c/lots/ba57a383-8ef8-4f67-868e-28684dc0cace

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8441 on: March 14, 2019, 06:37:17 PM »
^ when a poster is linen-backed it is washed and things are done to it. is it possible for the paper to be then harder to date?
if not then i guess it is from 1949. i still believe bruce to be telling the truth also though ;D

nah, you collect older paper. there is no mistaking paper from the 30s/40s for paper from the 70s
especially that thinner kind WB/RKO and others used during this time period.

Like I said, I wonder if there was an actual reprint made of this (for a festival or whatever) in the 70s? would certainly explain a lot.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8442 on: March 14, 2019, 09:31:05 PM »
I'm a big fan of light boxing.  I would certainly go with what Grey saw on this specific poster.  Interesting question, Crow, on if it also was reproduced. I don't like to discount other collector's tastes, though, man, it sure is not attractive to me.  Okie

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8443 on: March 22, 2019, 04:47:40 PM »
have you been gagged by HA for writing such bollocks?

#1 still waiting for your opinion of probable evidence of fold marks being in the print
#2 wtf is this supposed to mean? you held it so you must be correct?? LOL
#3 thats good. please share this information
#4 all good. i'd imagine all auction houses do this? anyway this is about the poster, not HA

still waiting for different fonts/numerous image differences evidence

wow.. not ignorant much are you.

first of all, I'm not surprised that when I go away for a week or two that some mewling bitch starts braying like a jackass. I mean, you would think even a moron would be able to check the member data and see if they even visited the site in weeks (in my case, due to being away at first, busy in return at second). Then again, you've showed your ass side before, ergo, why it doesn't surprise me you show it again.

as to whether HA asks me to post or not post: No one at Heritage has ever asked me to post anything and certainly didn't ask me to discuss this poster. As a matter of fact, the braying jackass asked the question. He just doesn't like the answer and continues to hee-haw. I post what I want, at my own wish.

to the poster, as I said previously, I've actually handled this poster, having had one (yay HA for selling it at 12k. yay!), and there was no question it was a vintage poster. Moreover, there are numerous inconsistencies with the description at EMP.

Note that this is a very unusual poster. It appears to be a 1949 re-release Casablanca one-sheet, because it has all the correct NSS information at the bottom, but it is not. The 1949 re-release is two-color (red and black), while this poster is one-color (brown). We have sold this poster in the past, and did not know exactly what it was, but we correctly guessed that is from the 1970s (it is printed on paper consistent with one-sheets from that period, and it was folded like a one-sheet (although of course this example has been linenbacked). WE NOW KNOW THE ORIGIN OF THE POSTER! It was printed for a Bogart film festival in the 1970s. The festival organizers could not afford full-color posters, so they used a 1949 re-release poster and had it photographed and reprinted. So please bid on this poster knowing it is a 1970s film festival poster that reproduces the 1949 re-release one-sheet.

first of all, they have sold this poster in the past according to the note, but the poster they sold previously
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/532593.html
had originally been described as a military poster, prior to EMP once again 'changing history' and editing the description.

secondly, the poster above was a folded poster, not on linen.
so how are the two posters the same? are there reproduced fold lines that do not match the actual fold lines?

Next, to anyone who has an eye, it is absolutely NOT a reproduction of a 1949 tri-color poster. The art is not exactly the same, the fonts are not all the same, the color blocks are not the same

the posters are not the same. it is absolutely not a reproduction of the 1949 poster

furthermore, what evidence is there that this poster is a film festival as they now say? I'd love to hear the evidence, but I doubt it is forthcoming.

not surprising, HA at one point also sold this poster as military, probably using the available database and not realizing that NSS never did military distribution, as the government had it's own distribution system. It took some other discovery to realize this was an international poster.
For note: international posters of the 1940s were not usually full color and a key factor is that NSS did not stamp the back of international posters. I have seen other examples of such posters, but can't find any that have been sold in auction easily, so I can't direct anyone to a listing offhand.

this poster is a 1949R international and people don't have to believe anything they don't want to, because that is a personal choice, but it is clear, more 'professionals' than not have the opinion it is what I say. I'll trust the professionals (including myself).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 05:20:03 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8444 on: March 22, 2019, 05:04:04 PM »

first of all, I'm not surprised that when I go away for a week or two that some mewling bitch starst braying like a jackass. I mean, you would think even a moron would be able to check the member data and see if they even visited the site in weeks (in my case, due to being away at first, busy in return at second). Then again, you've showed your ass side before, ergo, why it doesn't surprise me you show it again.

this just shows what type of person you are eyeroll who checks member data ???
anyway i am sure you had an internet connection wherever you went.
you just can't give up your emp digs can you. must be jealousy ;D

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #8445 on: March 22, 2019, 05:06:57 PM »

first of all, I'm not surprised that when I go away for a week or two that some mewling bitch starst braying like a jackass. I mean, you would think even a moron would be able to check the member data and see if they even visited the site in weeks (in my case, due to being away at first, busy in return at second). Then again, you've showed your ass side before, ergo, why it doesn't surprise me you show it again.

as to whether HA asks me to post or not post: No one at Heritage has ever asked me to post anything and certainly didn't ask me to discuss this poster. As a matter of fact, the braying jackass asked the question. He just doesn't like the answer and continues to hee-haw. I post what I want, at my own wish.

to the poster, as I said previously, I've actually handled this poster, having had one (yay HA for selling it at 12k. yay!), and there was no question it was a vintage poster. Moreover, there are numerous inconsistencies with the description at EMP.

first of all, they have sold this poster in the past according to the note, but the poster they sold previously
http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/532593.html
had originally been described as a military poster, prior to EMP once again 'changing history' and editing the description.

secondly, the poster above was a folded poster, not on linen.
so how are the two posters the same? are there reproduced fold lines that do not match the actual fold lines?

Next, to anyone who has an eye, it is absolutely NOT a reproduction of a 1949 tri-color poster. The art is not exactly the same, the fonts are not all the same, the color blocks are not the same

the posters are not the same. it is absolutely not a reproduction of the 1949 poster

furthermore, what evidence is there that this poster is a film festival as they now say? I'd love to hear the evidence, but I doubt it is forthcoming.

not surprising, HA at one point also sold this poster as military, probably using the available database and not realizing that NSS never did military distribution, as the government had it's own distribution system. It took some other discovery to realize this was an international poster.
For note: international posters of the 1940s were not usually full color and a key factor is that NSS did not stamp the back of international posters. I have seen other examples of such posters, but can't find any that have been sold in auction easily, so I can't direct anyone to a listing offhand.

this poster is a 1949R international and people don't have to believe anything they don't want to, because that is a personal choice, but it is clear, more 'professionals' than not have the opinion it is what I say. I'll trust the professionals (including myself).

Too long didnt read...jk

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8446 on: March 22, 2019, 05:22:12 PM »
this just shows what type of person you are eyeroll who checks member data ???
anyway i am sure you had an internet connection wherever you went.
you just can't give up your emp digs can you. must be jealousy ;D

I'm not digging at anyone. You asked questions and I gave factual answers. If you don't want the answers, don't ask the questions

same thing that if you don't want people treating you like an ass Redman, don't be an ass..
you see how that works?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8447 on: March 22, 2019, 05:46:36 PM »
I'm not digging at anyone. You asked questions and I gave factual answers. If you don't want the answers, don't ask the questions

same thing that if you don't want people treating you like an ass Redman, don't be an ass..
you see how that works?

not digging at anyone ;D (this clown and crowzilla PM each other to dig EMP and lick HA)
but you are right in some ways - why ask you questions if you take w e e k s to answer. won't bother again!
also, don't think you can bully/troll me - not going to happen

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8448 on: March 22, 2019, 05:51:54 PM »
not digging at anyone ;D (this clown and crowzilla PM each other to dig EMP and lick HA)
but you are right in some ways - why ask you questions if you take w e e k s to answer. won't bother again!
also, don't think you can bully/troll me - not going to happen

the only troll was you, when you wanted to act like a braying jackass.

-------

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8449 on: March 22, 2019, 06:03:42 PM »
the only troll was you, when you wanted to act like a braying jackass.

oh so trolls ask legitimate questions about posters. okey dokey eyeroll