Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2167198 times)

guest4955

Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8100 on: November 15, 2017, 02:49:47 PM »
Sold a similar tub last week, seller also proclaimed ignorance, "let me know if you find some gems":

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8101 on: November 15, 2017, 02:51:05 PM »
I do not believe for a single second that the seller didn't go thru it and removed what was worth a little something.  I'd love for someone on this forum to prove me wrong and buy the lot.  It won't be me, though.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8102 on: November 15, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
I do not believe for a single second that the seller didn't go thru it and removed what was worth a little something.  I'd love for someone on this forum to prove me wrong and buy the lot.  It won't be me, though.

T

Even if he didn't go through it, remember that he bought it as a bulk lot and the previous owner likely cherry picked it.  It would be fun to look it over, but IMO it is currently bid above its worth.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8103 on: November 15, 2017, 03:56:20 PM »
Let alone the $101.46 he wants for STANDARD shipping!  jawdrop uhno

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8104 on: November 15, 2017, 04:43:19 PM »
A "tub full of movie posters" on eBay. I wonder if this has anything worthwhile in it?!
Would love to hear from the buyer in case someone here gets it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222714552187?rmvSB=true

(Also in case someone is worried about "outing", this is the most watched poster auction on eBay so fair game I would say!)

That he cant take 30 minutes to count how many posters the tub holds seems unrealistic, too ("There could be 599 posters, and there could be 901, the numbers are estimates").

Plus if the seller has NEVER been thru the contents, then how could he possibly know that the posters date in range from the 1940s thru the 1990s?

(I see the one folded on the top is for Taming of the West, originally released in 1939). Tho that folded copy could be this '49RR, too:

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:09:10 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8105 on: November 15, 2017, 11:07:43 PM »
Just went through the new HA catalog.  Lots of good stuff for sale this Saturday, hopefully some with my name on it.  Four total, so quite manageable.

They must all drop by 5pm PST when the USC/UCLA game begins.  We all have our priorities.  Plus I don't want to be the idiot on his phone during the game.

Nothing Sunday, which will please my wife.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8106 on: November 15, 2017, 11:13:49 PM »
Just went through the new HA catalog.  Lots of good stuff for sale this Saturday, hopefully some with my name on it.  Four total, so quite manageable.

They must all drop by 5pm PST when the USC/UCLA game begins.  We all have our priorities.  Plus I don't want to be the idiot on his phone during the game.

Nothing Sunday, which will please my wife.

T

I've never done a live session with HA.  I am bidding on 1 item, and I think my internet proxy is as high as I am willing to go.  Do I need to be on the phone for the live session, or will they keep applying my proxy during the live session.  Right now it is less than 1/3 of my proxy bid.
-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8107 on: November 15, 2017, 11:26:30 PM »
Good question.  I'm not 100% sure since I always bid live, usually on my phone.  If I can't bid live, like after 5pm, I simply stop bidding.

I imagine they will keep applying your proxy until someone overbids you, which I'm sure won't happen (unless you go against me  devil 2).

Good luck,

T
My Personal Collection

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8108 on: November 15, 2017, 11:38:21 PM »
keep applying my proxy during the live session.

that ^^

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest4955

« Reply #8109 on: November 16, 2017, 05:37:43 AM »
Why bid by phone? The online bidding system works fine.

What I'm following - they royally screwed up on PF, 69 watchers:

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8110 on: November 16, 2017, 06:16:36 AM »
That he cant take 30 minutes to count how many posters the tub holds seems unrealistic, too ("There could be 599 posters, and there could be 901, the numbers are estimates").

Plus if the seller has NEVER been thru the contents, then how could he possibly know that the posters date in range from the 1940s thru the 1990s?

I s'pose he can sell his stuff however he wants.  But I daresay it took him longer to write his blurb than it would have taken to count the bloody things.

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8111 on: November 16, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »
I s'pose he can sell his stuff however he wants.  But I daresay it took him longer to write his blurb than it would have taken to count the bloody things.

Yeah well, I find it really hard to believe he didn't go through the stash, especially as he is a poster dealer...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8112 on: November 16, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »

Very true. Anyone can sell things however they want. I was meaning that I thought it would better benefit him (sales-wise) if he gave a number that wasnt a 300 spread difference. As well as maybe listing at least a handful of titles, by unfolding the 3-5 that are on top of the pile. Cant get easier than that, I dont think.  ;)

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8113 on: November 16, 2017, 01:29:44 PM »
Why bid by phone? The online bidding system works fine.

What I'm following - they royally screwed up on PF, 69 watchers:

Mel, if you intend to go after all these, why in the world would you advertise them?  I’m glad none of mine are in your group, because I’d be pissed.

Well, good luck to us all.  I’m excited.

And to Matt who is selling something nice.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8114 on: November 16, 2017, 01:35:10 PM »
that ^^

Exactly.

During the live auction, you will hear the auctioneer mention if a next high bid is "on the book." That book number would be someone's proxy bid that is higher than the HA live, or phone bid that was just offered.

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8115 on: November 16, 2017, 04:07:02 PM »
Exactly.

During the live auction, you will hear the auctioneer mention if a next high bid is "on the book." That book number would be someone's proxy bid that is higher than the HA live, or phone bid that was just offered.

Thanks everybody.  I will stay away from live bidding then.  I'm always afraid that my emotions will overrule my judgement.  I try to bid analytically and steer clear from the final frenzy.
-Jay-

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8116 on: November 16, 2017, 04:13:42 PM »
Mel, if you intend to go after all these, why in the world would you advertise them?  I’m glad none of mine are in your group, because I’d be pissed.

Mel is not going after these as per his advised budget constraint of only spending $25 per month or thereabouts

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8117 on: November 16, 2017, 04:21:19 PM »
Mel is not going after these as per his advised budget constraint of only spending $25 per month or thereabouts

Looks like Mel is going to the Ramen Nutra-Diet soon.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8118 on: November 16, 2017, 05:16:12 PM »

I see.  Is that why you’re showing us these posters, Mel, because you do not intend to bid on them?  If so, what’s the point?  Personally, I do not believe the $25 bullshit.  Mel’s got the bug, and ain’t nothing gonna hold him down.

T
My Personal Collection

guest4955

« Reply #8119 on: November 16, 2017, 06:41:56 PM »
300+ watchers on these 7, very few of them on this board no doubt, 25+pre-existing bids, in an auction process that always attracts 1000+ bidders and $2.5+ million sales, so not exactly breaking or revelatory news.....

Still running on BAT fumes $....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8120 on: November 17, 2017, 05:41:02 PM »
On the eve of the auction, it has crept up to $180K ($215,100 with the BP).  clap clap clap

I wonder where it will climb to tomorrow?

Dracula (Universal, 1931). One Sheet (27" X 41") Style A.
https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/horror/dracula-universal-1931-one-sheet-27-x-41-style-a/a/7167-86267.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8121 on: November 18, 2017, 12:50:23 AM »
Good luck to our buddy Matt who is selling this Italian Casablanca tomorrow.  Already at $90k. 

Wonder how much higher it can go?

T
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:51:39 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8122 on: November 18, 2017, 01:12:11 AM »
And to think that emp sold a backed copy, way back in 2005, for a mere $5586.92

I guess it shows that RR can be as collectible as first releases, if the title is right.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/5218994.html

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:15:48 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #8123 on: November 18, 2017, 02:18:52 AM »
$90K for a 1960s re-release? Wild and out of control!

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8124 on: November 18, 2017, 03:42:30 AM »
Is the Casablanca's Harry Caul Matt?

That's already an amazing result on that poster.

Let's hope it goes even higher on the day. Good luck!
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/