Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2189964 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7925 on: July 01, 2017, 04:44:15 PM »
If nothing else, it's nice to see pieces like this are still out there and available. And void of any restoration, too.

Frankenstein (1931)
WC   notworthy.gif
BIN: $125,000.00 / OBO

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRANKENSTEIN-1931-BORIS-KARLOFF-COLIN-CLIVE-DWIGHT-FRYE-UNIVERSAL-HORROR-/382111795983?hash=item58f7a34b0f:g:9~IAAOSw8HBZMOa4

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7926 on: July 01, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
If nothing else, it's nice to see pieces like this are still out there and available. And void of any restoration, too.

Frankenstein (1931)
WC   notworthy.gif
BIN: $125,000.00 / OBO

Wow, that's the closest to FMV he's listed something at in a long time.

Guess we will see how much the market has recovered on some of the items he constantly lists (Dracula's Daughter halves, Mummy's Tomb half, Ghost of Frank 3-sheet, etc.) when some of the recovered material Haggard stole is sold later this month.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

guest4955

« Reply #7927 on: July 01, 2017, 07:48:01 PM »
And that one is a nice looking poster (and it needed to be 98% hidden, mel, along without referencing it's in HA's auction) ;)
Dag my too-clever-by-half obscuration was a:

Well I'm going to bid an irrational boatload to land it. Could easily get beaten by even-crazier deep pockets.

Did the same thing with Sullivan's Travels although that was negotiating with a savvy dealer.

It's just money, gotta have priorities in life....

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #7928 on: July 09, 2017, 12:11:03 PM »
Surely I can't be the only one who recognizes this gentleman not as William Wellman but Will Rogers.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4693151

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7929 on: July 09, 2017, 12:47:15 PM »
Surely I can't be the only one who recognizes this gentleman not as William Wellman but Will Rogers.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4693151

Yup..that be Will Rogers, alright. He must have been visiting the set.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:50:34 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7930 on: July 10, 2017, 12:33:08 AM »

It sold for $46.00.

I wonder if the winning bidder also knew it was actually Will Rogers (and was a Will Rogers fan)? Hopefully, that was the case.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:16:26 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #7931 on: July 10, 2017, 05:31:40 AM »
I totally agree with you on this, too Sean.

And that one is a nice looking poster (and it needed to be 98% hidden, mel, along without referencing it's in HA's auction) ;)

Im always amazed how items like this that havent been seen as much or are more uncommon still pop up in Grey's hands. There must be a trove of things held by people out there, just waiting to once again see the light of day. That's exciting to think about.  Good luck in snagging it.

Dag, HA seriously underestimated this one, already near its HE:

Gonna drop my real bid at the end....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7932 on: July 10, 2017, 11:52:17 AM »
As was pointed out on MOPO this morning by Kirby McDaniel, this Portal Publications poster for THE ENDLESS SUMMER is being auctioned by KIOBUY Auctions. The description does say that it is by Portal, but nothing is mentioned about it being one of their undersized, commercial reprints:

https://www.kiobuy.com/en/auctions/404-pub-mania/4129065-van-hamersveld-the-endless-summer-1966

The current bid is 100 euros, (tho the reserve has not been met, thank goodness), with an estimate of 120-150 euros. It ends in about 21 hours.

I just sent them a message about it. Maybe if they received a few other alerts they would either pull it or let the high bidders know exactly what it is they are bidding on.

I will let the forum know if I get any reply back.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7933 on: July 25, 2017, 02:20:37 PM »
Just checked HA Sig auction.  Some nice stuff, as always.

One of the games I like to play is to see how many pieces being sold I already own and how many I want.  This session, I own 50 pieces and want 46.  Does anyone else play this game?

A few I want are a little expensive.  What make it difficult is that the one I want most comes late on Saturday, which means that I may have to let the others go in order to bid on it.  But then if I miss it, I miss them all.  Decisions, decisions...

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7934 on: July 25, 2017, 05:33:19 PM »
Just checked HA Sig auction.  Some nice stuff, as always.

One of the games I like to play is to see how many pieces being sold I already own and how many I want.  This session, I own 50 pieces and want 46.  Does anyone else play this game?

A few I want are a little expensive.  What make it difficult is that the one I want most comes late on Saturday, which means that I may have to let the others go in order to bid on it.  But then if I miss it, I miss them all.  Decisions, decisions...

T

my game is simpler.. what do I still need. other than that, I have no reason to buy stuff that is 'cool' anymore.. so my list is small. maybe a half-dozen items and probably half of those I don't care

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #7935 on: July 25, 2017, 08:53:02 PM »
Thierry, I also like to keep track of how many posters HA offers in their signature auction I already own.  In the current sale, I own 28 posters.  As far as posters that I want, there are only 5, most of which are rather expensive unfortunately. 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7936 on: July 25, 2017, 09:18:48 PM »
Do you have a budget, Antoine, or are you going for all of them.  And if you have a budget, say $20k, how do you decide which one to go for first.  If the one you want most is last, do you have a plan?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #7937 on: July 26, 2017, 10:40:43 AM »
Thierry, I usually play it by ear the day of the auction (I always bid over the phone).  I don't really have a budget, but if there's a poster I really want more than the other lots I'm bidding on, I tend to prioritize that one and make sure that I get it.  Good thing is that most of the rarer posters that HA offers during those Signature auctions are sold during the first session, so usually my first pick does come first anyway.  I also like to take the temperature of the room the day of the auction to get a sense of how competitive the bidding is.  This is one of the reasons why I like to bid over the phone (as opposed to leaving an online bid), as it allows me to make a decision on the spot.

That said, there aren't many lots I want in this auction.  This is due in part to the relatively narrow focus of my collection, which is mostly vintage horror and sci-fi titles (although I occasionally buy some film noir stuff as well if I like the iconography).  At this point, I already own a lot of the posters from those genres.  Also, I typically don't buy smaller sizes (I don't collect any LC, and rarely go for 1/2 sheets or inserts) nor do I buy linen backed OS, so this rules out a good chunk of the posters that HA is offering this week.  The French 47X63 for Bride of Frankenstein is the one exception (I sometimes buy linenbacked posters if their size is large, as it makes framing them easier), but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on it, so there's a good chance I may not get anything this time.  We'll see. 

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7938 on: July 26, 2017, 12:40:28 PM »
Rats.  The one poster that really struck my fancy and would just be awesome on my walls doubled its bid overnight.  Would be impossible to explain to wife if I won now.  Probably move on to a new target as there are some nice ones I would not mind owning, but a little saddened.  Hope it goes for a fortune now since I can't have it.  :P
-Brian

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7939 on: July 27, 2017, 02:26:36 PM »
right now, Heritage has $262,900.00 bid on the Italian Casablanca 4 folio.

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/academy-award-winner/casablanca-warner-brothers-1946-first-post-war-release-italian-4-fogli-555-x-7825-luigi-martinati-artwork/a/7162-86354.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

more than 4 times the highest sale for any poster in the last 15 years from their closest competitors.. and the auction has not even begun yet. I wonder if it will reach 500k?

for the life of me, I fail to see any reason a consignor would send any such item (or other uber-valuable poster of any kind)  to any other venue

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7940 on: July 27, 2017, 02:43:02 PM »
for the life of me, I fail to see any reason a consignor would send any such item (or other uber-valuable poster of any kind)  to any other venue

Nicely done, Rich.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7941 on: July 27, 2017, 02:50:35 PM »
Nicely done, Rich.

T

all I'm posting is factual data and my opinion T.

people are welcome to disagree.

I consign stuff to all kinds of other sellers. I send stuff to HA and I send stuff to Profiles in History and MoviePosterExchange and I even have my pal selling on ebay (however irregularly)

but here's the key - the huge book collection I sold at Profiles last month, I wouldn't send to HA. The posters I sent HA, I wouldn't send to Profiles. The material I send to MPE, I wouldn't send to HA or Profiles. I'm getting ready to send some more stuff to Profiles (posters) and it's a toss-up on these particular titles if HA might do better, but I think Profiles will actually get more for one of my Endless Summer 30x40s (seriously, why do I need 2?) than HA might because of their proximity to the ocean

it's a money-management issue. Who will get the best price is my concern
I pick my spots very carefully and I think all collectors should do the same

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7942 on: July 27, 2017, 08:38:28 PM »
Thierry, I usually play it by ear the day of the auction (I always bid over the phone).  I don't really have a budget, but if there's a poster I really want more than the other lots I'm bidding on, I tend to prioritize that one and make sure that I get it.  Good thing is that most of the rarer posters that HA offers during those Signature auctions are sold during the first session, so usually my first pick does come first anyway.  I also like to take the temperature of the room the day of the auction to get a sense of how competitive the bidding is.  This is one of the reasons why I like to bid over the phone (as opposed to leaving an online bid), as it allows me to make a decision on the spot.

That said, there aren't many lots I want in this auction.  This is due in part to the relatively narrow focus of my collection, which is mostly vintage horror and sci-fi titles (although I occasionally buy some film noir stuff as well if I like the iconography).  At this point, I already own a lot of the posters from those genres.  Also, I typically don't buy smaller sizes (I don't collect any LC, and rarely go for 1/2 sheets or inserts) nor do I buy linen backed OS, so this rules out a good chunk of the posters that HA is offering this week.  The French 47X63 for Bride of Frankenstein is the one exception (I sometimes buy linenbacked posters if their size is large, as it makes framing them easier), but I'm not sure I want to spend that much on it, so there's a good chance I may not get anything this time.  We'll see.

Interesting.  I would never do it by phone because it's too... personal, for lack of a better world.  I like the anonymity of online bidding.  I don't want to mingle.  Part of the reason why you'll never see me at a poster convention.  But I get it.

I agree also on the linen OS.  Zero interest.  The larger ones, maybe, but only if I know I cannot find a better folded version.

Good luck Saturday.  I'll be at the beach bidding, fighting the sun reflection.  I don't collect vintage horror and sci-fi, only classics.  So hopefully we won't go against one another.

T
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:40:42 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7943 on: July 27, 2017, 09:27:19 PM »
There's more than enough to go around.

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7944 on: July 27, 2017, 09:31:47 PM »
Interesting.  I would never do it by phone because it's too... personal, for lack of a better world.  I like the anonymity of online bidding.

if I can bid in person on what I want, I prefer it.
if I can't bid in person and I want to bid, please call me, if you have phone bidding
if I can't bid in person and there is no phone bidding, I'll bid online

the benefit in-person and phone bidding has over online bidding, is that I have had the internet 'hiccup' or even 'jackass ran off the road and knocked out the telecommunications box situated down at the corner behind that fence' and missed out on bidding for something.

now I can understand not wanting to be seen in person, but even phone bidding is entirely anonymous. If you win, only the same people will know who you are and if you don't win, at least they'll know yuo when you want to get a call next time again.

there is also this, at Profiles, you bid in person, pay with an approved check or bank draft, you pay 20%
same deal goes by phone
you bid on any online venue and win, you pay 24%

obviously, when I spend 30k, I don't want to do it via an online option in this case

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7945 on: July 29, 2017, 02:34:33 PM »
My God, is it me or is she super slow.  Last chance, final warning... Come on, come on, I have to make a pool party this afternoon and I don't want to be the asshole on his phone.  Being an asshole is enough ;)

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7946 on: July 29, 2017, 02:50:39 PM »
My God, is it me or is she super slow.  Last chance, final warning... Come on, come on, I have to make a pool party this afternoon and I don't want to be the asshole on his phone.  Being an asshole is enough ;)

T

you're just impatient. she's on the same speed as always

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7947 on: July 29, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »
At least she doesnt seem to be saying "No regrets" as often as she has in the past, after each lot.

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7948 on: July 29, 2017, 03:20:41 PM »
She seems a real sweetie.  Lovely eyes, as they move seductively from left to right.

(Deary me, I hope she doesn't read this... bless her)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7949 on: July 29, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »
right now, the Italian Casablanca poster is at $478,000

-------