Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2193202 times)

Offline Damomac

• Hobbyist
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7600 on: November 08, 2016, 12:58:37 AM »
This is why the poster is expensive and no not many "newer posters go for that much from EMP -  "Note that this rare poster (which measures 27" x 40" [69 x 102 cm]) has been shrouded in mystery since it first surfaced in the hobby several years ago! It was first seen in the collection of a well known Canadian collector/dealer/researcher who received the poster in 1998 from a theater he was connected to, when the movie was being re-released, and he surmised that it had been created for that 1998 re-release (possibly to capitalize on the many Oscar nominations it had received), but he noted that it had a 1997 copyright, and he could not explain why. It was not until 2013 that we learned much more about this poster! A different example of this poster was consigned to us by a former Warner Bros. executive who received samples of many alternate styles of one-sheets, some of which were apparently never distributed to theaters. The executive received this poster at the same time as the regular 1997 poster, so we think it was surely created at that same time. Perhaps some of them WERE distributed to some theaters in 1998 at the time of the Oscar nominations (perhaps only ones outside the U.S., including the one in Canada, where the first one surfaced, and that makes sense, because the poster has no ratings, which would indicate it is an international one-sheet), but that does not change that it is a 1997 poster! Since that time, we have auctioned four more examples of the poster (although it is possible that we were re-consigned previously sold ones). Now we are auctioning this poster for a sixth time (but again, it is unclear whether one or more of those six were re-consigned, so we don't know how many of the posters are currently known to exist)."

There are only a handful of this style poster in existence compared to most post 90's posters where 1000s are printed for each movie
- Damo (An Aussie Movie Poster Lover)

guest4868

« Reply #7601 on: November 08, 2016, 01:02:04 AM »
Alright, well that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation guys!  thumbsup.gif

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7602 on: November 08, 2016, 09:39:50 AM »
Alright, well that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation guys!  thumbsup.gif

Welcome to APF CercleRouge.
Really interested in seeing what you collect after I saw your avatar -- Peter Lorre in 'M.'
Good choice!
thumbup 

guest4868

« Reply #7603 on: November 08, 2016, 01:26:51 PM »
Welcome to APF CercleRouge.
Really interested in seeing what you collect after I saw your avatar -- Peter Lorre in 'M.'
Good choice!
thumbup

It's one of my favorite movies, and posters. AND I have a Peter Lorre tattoo (and a Maltese Falcon tattoo to boot) but I have a feeling the M poster is slightly out of my reach. There's a beautiful one at the Neue Gallerie that I stare at every time I'm there though.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7604 on: November 08, 2016, 02:03:56 PM »
Just because it is so very cool to see actual copies in person-- 2 more rare beauties from Todd Feiertag, both listed as BINs

First, a US teaser OS for The Invisible Man (1933)  bed1
http://www.ebay.com/itm/381831612295?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

BIN: $850K / OBO

And then, this.. an unrestored and unbacked copy of the US OS for The Mummy (1932)  bed1  notworthy.gif Truly stunning to see.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152309921971?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

BIN - $4.5 Million  / OBO 

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 04:47:38 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7605 on: November 08, 2016, 06:11:59 PM »
As noted often before:
Some people place material on eBay to sell it.  Others put material there to brag that they have it.
-Jay-

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7606 on: November 09, 2016, 04:00:28 AM »
Where does he keep them - in a bank vault? (I suppose you would have to).

I know it's being a bit picky but for a $4.5 million poster that frame is a bit tacky (unless it's solid gold of course rather than gold paint).

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7607 on: November 09, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »
Both of those are fabulous. I especially like the Mummy one though. Are there any other copies of these in existence?
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7608 on: November 09, 2016, 01:07:03 PM »
Others put material there to brag that they have it.

I've never seen this statement substantiated, much less explained.
Why would anyone use ebay to brag about their posters?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7609 on: November 09, 2016, 01:20:42 PM »
Both of those are fabulous. I especially like the Mummy one though. Are there any other copies of these in existence?

I believe so. I know others can speak to this in greater detail, but I seem to recall a story of one copy found sandwiched among others? And it was not in the best of condition, either (again, if memory of what I read serves me correctly)

And a copy sold back in 1997 for $435,500.00 (the article link below is from 2012):

https://www.theguardian.com/film/gallery/2012/mar/14/10-most-expensive-film-posters-in-pictures

-Jeff

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7610 on: November 09, 2016, 01:23:20 PM »
I've never seen this statement substantiated, much less explained.
Why would anyone use ebay to brag about their posters?

I king of get what Jay is on about. It's not really priced to sell but more of in the hope someone bites on it so there is that sense of feeling that it is so far out of reach that it could be portrayed as that.

I remember a UK chap on Ebay who's username was killer something. He had a few quads up for seriously ridiculous prices and his listings did display that trait of bragging.

Marc.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7611 on: November 09, 2016, 01:30:01 PM »
I remember Killer's listings,  but it still doesn't make much sense.
Todd's collection is legendary, known worldwide as one of the best.
By putting The Mummy on ebay at 4.5 million seems to be an invitation to those with deep pockets to seek him out to negotiate, not 'bragging rights.'
If I had his collection and wanted to brag, I'd put out a coffee table book and brag hard.

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7612 on: November 09, 2016, 01:32:50 PM »
I believe so. I know others can speak to this in greater detail, but I seem to recall a story of one copy found sandwiched among others? And it was not in the best of condition, either (again, if memory of what I read serves me correctly)

And a copy sold back in 1997 for $435,500.00 (the article link below is from 2012):

https://www.theguardian.com/film/gallery/2012/mar/14/10-most-expensive-film-posters-in-pictures

Some of the best in that article Jeff. I see a lot of articles where the rumoured buyer is DiCaprio. He must have one helluva collection if true. (helps that he has the deepest pockets!)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7613 on: November 09, 2016, 02:30:17 PM »
Update to a comment I posted above, re THE MUMMY poster. I just looked at the ebay link again, and this poster IS the same copy that sold back in 1997 for $453,500.00 (the 2012 article has the price wrong)

So along with this copy, may be that other, lesser condition copy that was discovered are the 2 known? I'm sure others, including Sean (crowzilla) would know.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 03:02:20 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7614 on: November 09, 2016, 03:17:46 PM »
There are at least Three other copies of the Mummy One-sheet known.  One in the Borst Collection, one in the Hammett Collection, and another belonging to a museum out in California (want to say LA Public Library, but I'd have to look when I get home, it was mentioned on MoPo a couple of years ago).
Not sure how he comes up with the two number (unless he means two unrestored?), but two or four it's quite a rare piece.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7615 on: November 09, 2016, 04:38:54 PM »
I remember Killer's listings,  but it still doesn't make much sense.
Todd's collection is legendary, known worldwide as one of the best.
By putting The Mummy on ebay at 4.5 million seems to be an invitation to those with deep pockets to seek him out to negotiate, not 'bragging rights.'
If I had his collection and wanted to brag, I'd put out a coffee table book and brag hard.

We had a friend who did just that.  When I first knew him, he had started a definitive collection of scientific papers.  DaVinci, Edison, Einstein, etc.  He spent 5 or 6 years collecting only the very best.  Once he felt it was as good as he could make it, he set up a museum tour for 2 years and took tax credits.  Once the tour was over, he cataloged everything and sent it off to one of the major auction houses.  He also published a book that accompanied the catalog and sold the whole thing off.

He immediately started collecting early Persian ceramics.  I recall he had an entire ceramic entry hall from some house dating back to 1500 BC.  Same thing.  Museum tour, book and sale.

However, I think it is a lot easier to slap it up on ebay at a price where it won't sell.  No different than the Shelby Cobras that kept popping up at 10 times the then current auction rates.
-Jay-

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7616 on: November 11, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »
There are at least Three other copies of the Mummy One-sheet known.  One in the Borst Collection, one in the Hammett Collection, and another belonging to a museum out in California (want to say LA Public Library, but I'd have to look when I get home, it was mentioned on MoPo a couple of years ago).
Not sure how he comes up with the two number (unless he means two unrestored?), but two or four it's quite a rare piece.

Thanks for the info Sean, appreciate it.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7617 on: November 17, 2016, 05:47:50 PM »

I happened to go to the LA County Public Library about 7 years ago, and they had on display a number of rare OS posters from both the sound and silent eras. They were in an upper gallery of the library, framed and illuminated with pin lights hung from the ceiling.

One of the posters was, in fact, a OS for The Mummy. It blew me away. Because I didnt know about the exhibit, I didnt have a camera, but it was fantastic to see a copy up close and in person like that. 

-Jeff

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7618 on: November 17, 2016, 06:15:57 PM »
I happened to go to the LA County Public Library about 7 years ago, and they had on display a number of rare OS posters from both the sound and silent eras. They were in an upper gallery of the library, framed and illuminated with pin lights hung from the ceiling.

One of the posters was, in fact, a OS for The Mummy. It blew me away. Because I didnt know about the exhibit, I didnt have a camera, but it was fantastic to see a copy up close and in person like that.

We get nothing like that over here which is unfortunate. It would be nice to go to a few really rare poster exhibitions and dream about owning them lol.

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7619 on: November 18, 2016, 05:42:23 AM »
I remember going to the Museum of the Moving Image in London in the 1990s and it had some great posters on display (I seem to recall one for The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, one of the few in existence, unless I am mistaken). What happened to them once the museum closed, does anyone know?

There is this:

http://www.cinemamuseum.org.uk/topics/collection/advertising/

Never been myself - anyone else been and able to report back?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7620 on: November 18, 2016, 01:03:20 PM »
I remember going to the Museum of the Moving Image in London in the 1990s and it had some great posters on display (I seem to recall one for The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, one of the few in existence, unless I am mistaken). What happened to them once the museum closed, does anyone know?

There is this:

http://www.cinemamuseum.org.uk/topics/collection/advertising/

Never been myself - anyone else been and able to report back?

I would wonder if the posters were owned by the museum itself? Or maybe on loan from private collectors? If that was the case, then I would think they would be returned to those folks, once the museum closed. If museum owned, then stored away until a new venue is opened? Or maybe they were sold / donated to another museum?

-Jeff

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #7621 on: November 19, 2016, 02:36:36 PM »
I just realised that APF's very own Lynn Naron (RIP) has paper in the Heritage Auction that's in progress right now.

One thing I will say is that he had very good taste in movie posters (Dracula's Daughter insert)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7622 on: November 19, 2016, 02:57:41 PM »
Nice to know some of Lynn's collection will be finding new owners/collectors who will cherish it as much as he did.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7623 on: November 19, 2016, 03:14:32 PM »
She's pretty good, this woman.  Better than most, imo.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7624 on: November 30, 2016, 08:11:55 AM »
Seen this poster currently up for sale by a French seller?

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Original-movie-posters-Affiche-cinema-originale-KING-KONG-1933-Sweden-/172424189536?hash=item2825485660:g:eQ0AAOSwA3dYO4bx

A great poster although a tad pricey, I feel, as the last three times it sold on Heritage varied between $28k - $31k.

The same seller also has what must be a pretty rare poster for a Mickey Mouse title, "The Wayward Canary".

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Affiche-cinema-originale-Wayward-Canary-The-1932-Mickey-mouse-70X100-Disney-/172420252047?hash=item28250c418f:g:e0EAAOSw44BYNyFE