Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2166983 times)

Mirosae

Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #4400 on: May 28, 2013, 02:15:29 PM »
So far, he or she hasn't made any bids that look like retail prices to me. I honestly have no clue who this person is, but if they are currently at their limit on every item then I doubt they will get much of anything (but of course, they may be placing lots more bids, or have much higher maximums).

It could be they work (or own) another auction and are looking for quality items for their next big auction!

All I can say is that he or she is bidding all over the place, this seems to be pardoe55 bidding party. 

I am really enjoying the bidding for Shanghai Express, Ba310552 Vs Pardoe55 vs iw296754   there is going to be blood there....

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #4401 on: May 28, 2013, 02:35:14 PM »
You should create a "Want List" for them at https://www.emovieposter.com/members/wantlist.php

Nearly 2,000 of our bidders have created over 20,000 of these in all (you can have as many as you want) and that way they get emailed whenever we have, say, a "Hammer daybill".

Perfect for lazy bidders!

www.Movieposterexchange.com has also had this feature since the day it opened
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #4402 on: May 28, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »
there is going to be blood there....

Yeah, so much for trying to score that in the unlikely event it flew under the radar.

Sigh...

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #4403 on: May 28, 2013, 08:35:19 PM »
All I can say is that he or she is bidding all over the place, this seems to be pardoe55 bidding party.  

I am really enjoying the bidding for Shanghai Express, Ba310552 Vs Pardoe55 vs iw296754  there is going to be blood there....

Or they are just bidding up everything for fun/spite to cause everyone to pay more (unnecessarily too I guess), rarely does the early leader come out on top. It will be interesting to see if they win any items of major value, and if they don't then the cynic in me will stick by my opening remark and if they do, then they are to be congratulated for such aggressive bidding
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 08:36:32 PM by Silhouette »
David

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4404 on: May 28, 2013, 09:24:17 PM »
I agree with Heritage's reserve system for high profile auctions.

Set the reserve to 1/2 to 2/3 of the realistic sales price. That protects the consignor from a disastrous low final sale price, cuts out the frivolous early bids, and still leaves a chance for a bargain for serious bidders.

Some say that it's impossible to know what a "realistic sales price" is but most posters have been sold many times and it's very clear what the "fair market value" range will be for that poster.

(Of course, Heritage charges an obnoxious 20% buyer's premium, so jeers to them for that.)  

Most sellers won't set medium reserves because they think early meaningless bidding "stirs up excitement" but it's just a waste of time and the serious bidders don't pay any attention to the silly early bids.

I don't know Pardoe55's bid for This Gun For Hire but anything less than $12,000 is not serious.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 09:36:25 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4405 on: May 28, 2013, 09:32:32 PM »

Most sellers won't set medium reserves because they think early meaningless bidding "stirs up excitement" but it's just a waste of time and the serious bidders don't pay any attention to the silly early bids.

I am not that serious a bidder but I also find those early bids to be silly and pretty stupid. Maybe too stupid.  8)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4406 on: May 28, 2013, 09:34:59 PM »

I am really enjoying the bidding for Shanghai Express, Ba310552 Vs Pardoe55 vs iw296754  

there is going to be blood there....

Especially when you have a poster like this, that hasn't been on the market before (or at least any time in years), the final amount of "blood letting" remains to be seen. As with any other poster, whether they be rare, vintage, foreign etc, it will come down to the last 2 (or 3) bidders that battle it out, with the deepest pocket taking it home.    whip

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4407 on: May 28, 2013, 09:40:01 PM »
Though I must admit in BIG $$$$$$$$$ cases like this, I am entertained.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4408 on: May 28, 2013, 09:44:39 PM »
Though I must admit in BIG $$$$$$$$$ cases like this, I am entertained.

happy1

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #4409 on: May 29, 2013, 03:43:04 AM »
I agree with David re early bids, I think it is stupid, tactically rarely pays off but I've got to say...it is mighty entertaing ...me having a good time ... ;)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4410 on: May 29, 2013, 12:22:15 PM »
I agree with David re early bids, I think it is stupid, tactically rarely pays off but I've got to say...it is mighty entertaing ...me having a good time ... ;)

That all depends on how you do it... ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:22:47 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #4411 on: May 29, 2013, 12:34:38 PM »
.....oh ...oh....so, Paul...you saying ?

I'm listening .... :D

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #4412 on: May 29, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »
 :-X  Don't give too much away.. But you know.....wynk
It's more than a Hobby...

Mirosae

« Reply #4413 on: May 29, 2013, 12:50:29 PM »
  :-*

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4414 on: May 29, 2013, 10:46:42 PM »
Some people just enjoy seeing their username of the week as the high bidder on some very expensive items - no real intention of winning in many cases - but the stroll in Fantasyland must make them feel special...
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #4415 on: May 30, 2013, 08:25:05 PM »
Man, I really wanted these but it would have ruined my go at a June Major poster...

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2987396#BID

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #4416 on: May 30, 2013, 08:40:06 PM »
They're very nice, congratulations Mark.

Charlie

« Reply #4417 on: May 30, 2013, 08:45:39 PM »
They're very nice, congratulations Mark.

Yes!  Well fought!  Would you mind sending me the pics without the watermarks once you get them?

Charlie

« Reply #4418 on: May 31, 2013, 08:57:32 PM »
Sometimes, I think botched resto jobs like this should just be turned away... I would like to hear from Bruce why posters like this one still make the cut.  Just curios - no angle or negative intentions here (as I know you've described it as fair pre-restoration...)  I mean could this be a converted 30 x 40 or something?  Everything has been completely repainted no grain or anything left at all...  You would think there was some of the original pieces intact...

In case you are blind...
http://www.abideposters.com/apf_junk/052013/7year_SBS.jpg

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=2989455
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 09:26:49 PM by Charlie »

Bruce

« Reply #4419 on: May 31, 2013, 09:16:38 PM »
The thing is there ARE some people who are happy with something like this, as long as they get a huge discount.

I personally would not make that choice, but who am I to say no one has a right to buy something because it has too much restoration.

At least I describe and grade it well, and provide an accurate super-sized image. No one bidding on it could say they were misled!

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #4420 on: May 31, 2013, 09:33:48 PM »

I can tell you from experience that ba and iw have no hesitation to blow by any all-time high for a poster they want.  Bastards!!!!!! (But good for them   wynk)

Brian

-Who is trying hard not to look at Bruce's previews.
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Charlie

« Reply #4421 on: May 31, 2013, 09:53:07 PM »
Dibs on the Apoc German Rag...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4422 on: May 31, 2013, 10:00:20 PM »
Dibs on the Apoc German Rag...

;D

Godspeed sir.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4423 on: June 01, 2013, 04:07:55 AM »
That Seven Year Itch is appalling, even worse than Bob Brooks' E.T. advance.  It really should be burned at the stake as a monstrosity.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4424 on: June 01, 2013, 05:01:59 AM »
MM looking not as "glammed" in this photo version:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 05:03:02 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff