Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2167203 times)

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8600 on: July 18, 2020, 03:00:54 PM »
Nothing is ever set in stone, but on the whole yes, but factor in the war years here. Very little UK paper has survived pre-1950..

Except for some Bambi quads that were set aside, and forgotten about  because of a printing mistake  thumbsup.gif
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8601 on: July 18, 2020, 06:53:58 PM »
 laugh1
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8602 on: July 20, 2020, 01:20:09 PM »
As can be seen here on this UK FOH still, the distributor is RKO.  And I'm sure this is from the 48 RR.

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8603 on: July 20, 2020, 04:48:48 PM »
As can be seen here on this UK FOH still, the distributor is RKO.  And I'm sure this is from the 57 release.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8604 on: July 20, 2020, 04:57:53 PM »
As can be seen here on this lobby card, the distributor is Liberty Pictures.  And I'm sure this is from the original release.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8605 on: July 21, 2020, 12:06:01 PM »
As can be seen here on this UK FOH still, the distributor is RKO.  And I'm sure this is from the 57 release.

Do yo have the set of these, Sean?  I only have a couple, can you post them..

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #8606 on: July 21, 2020, 04:57:02 PM »

Sean,

I always thought this was released in '58 in the UK?

Marc
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8607 on: July 21, 2020, 05:27:11 PM »
I always thought this was released in '58 in the UK?

Yes, February 58, was just having fun with the totally un-related Bambi post.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline movieposterstudio

• Beginner
« Reply #8608 on: July 23, 2020, 11:14:13 AM »
Just to add to the discussion on the Bambi quad, here's a photo of the earlier RKO (re-)release with same design. It was on moviepostermem.com at one time.

Worth bearing in mind that the codes on Stafford posters aren't like NSS numbers (albeit some contain year info). I see them as litho numbers. A good starting point for working out dates, but not so reliable if the same plate is used as the basis for more than one release, e.g. Third Man UK one sheet.
Anyway, as others have said already, for me the clincher is that the distributor for any 1940s release of this film should be RKO.

Regards,
Paul

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8609 on: July 23, 2020, 03:12:51 PM »
Just to add to the discussion on the Bambi quad, here's a photo of the earlier RKO (re-)release with same design. It was on moviepostermem.com at one time.

How do we know that one isn't the 42 original?
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8610 on: July 23, 2020, 05:22:23 PM »
^because HA are currently selling the 42 original ???

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8611 on: July 23, 2020, 07:20:23 PM »
^because HA are currently selling the 42 original ???

correct sir.

But since the other is being presented as a R48, I am asking what is the difference between it and your mythical 42?
Since the print codes apparently have nothing to do with the date of the poster and no one has seen the 42, why can't that one be a 42?
Is there fine print at the bottom that says "this is a re-release, please do not confuse this poster with the original release from WDP, RKO, or any other distributor"?

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline movieposterstudio

• Beginner
« Reply #8612 on: July 24, 2020, 07:13:47 AM »
Sean, personally I can't say with absolute certainty that RKO one I posted isn't first release, which is why I put "re-" in brackets. I don't have it in front of me. I just wanted to show there is an earlier RKO version. Disney only started using their own distribution company, and stopped using RKO, in the 1950s. That leads me to believe the Heritage one is 1950s. Just to avoid any confusion I'm Paul Gerrard not Paul Waines, in case people start mixing up our replies!
BTW I'm not saying Stafford print codes don't help with the date of the poster. They often do, but I don't think you should rely on them alone when there are different releases of a poster using the same design.

Regards,
Paul

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #8613 on: July 24, 2020, 12:11:39 PM »
Sean, personally I can't say with absolute certainty that RKO one I posted isn't first release, which is why I put "re-" in brackets. I don't have it in front of me. I just wanted to show there is an earlier RKO version. Disney only started using their own distribution company, and stopped using RKO, in the 1950s. That leads me to believe the Heritage one is 1950s. Just to avoid any confusion I'm Paul Gerrard not Paul Waines, in case people start mixing up our replies!
BTW I'm not saying Stafford print codes don't help with the date of the poster. They often do, but I don't think you should rely on them alone when there are different releases of a poster using the same design.

Regards,
Paul

Likey.jpg

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8614 on: July 24, 2020, 12:14:56 PM »
Sean, personally I can't say with absolute certainty that RKO one I posted isn't first release, which is why I put "re-" in brackets. I don't have it in front of me. I just wanted to show there is an earlier RKO version. Disney only started using their own distribution company, and stopped using RKO, in the 1950s.

Yes, I totally get that. Which is why I suggested that sometimes mistakes are made, like the "Liberty Pictures" lobby card of the Raven I posted, or the scenario where the new guy lettered in WDP, and they were about to change it until the air raid sirens started and they decided to let it go. ;)
But certainly the one you pictured seems like a good candidate for original release.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8615 on: July 24, 2020, 04:46:41 PM »
Just finished checking HA Sig auction.  Some really cool stuff there. 

Unfortunately for me, I don't think I'll be buying anything because almost everything is linenbacked.  I think it's a first in almost 10 years!  Why do people have to linenback everything???

Anyone with a big shopping list?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #8616 on: July 24, 2020, 07:03:31 PM »
Same for me T, I think I'm also going to pass on this HA Signature auction because all the paper I'm interested in is linenbacked.  Thank God I already have my folded copies of Day the Earth Stood Still and Forbidden Planet, as non-linenbacked examples of those 2 titles seem to be getting rare.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8617 on: July 24, 2020, 07:57:23 PM »
My linen copy of Forbidden Planet is mint.  No restoration that I can see, so I'm good with that.  But a FN- 5.5 for a LB poster, that's terrible.  Same with Earth.  FN+ 6.5.  What's up with that?  I'll wait for a folded copy or a Mint Linen.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8618 on: July 24, 2020, 08:15:12 PM »
Why do people have to linenback everything???

- Because some people think it looks better flat. And people like to show off their poster to others who might view and think yuck the folds make your poster look crap.
- Plus if the printers thought posters looked better with folds, modern posters would have the fold lines printed into the rolled posters!
- The whole other world of advertising posters, they are nearly all linen backed and I guess because they weren't issued folded, it must be people just liking the folds in the movie poster world.
- If you like the history and originality of folded posters, they are all (like pre 1980's) likely to progress with age having the brown foxing color progress substantially from all the folds lines making the poster colors ruined (and the poster brittle) and to avoid that, the poster can be linen-backed and de-acidified which over time will make those posters look more original than the once original folded poster that turned heavily foxed, cracked, dinged up, and which might end up resprayed ruining it more!!! Preservation, may be the lesser of two evils!

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #8619 on: July 28, 2020, 11:22:44 AM »
I just skimmed the results of the HA auction and was surprised at the strength of the prices.  Granted, I'm not really keeping up with things but I would have the thought the pandemic might have slowed things down. 

Apparently not.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #8620 on: July 29, 2020, 12:44:11 AM »
I have also noticed that the pandemic hasn't had any negative impact on the last 2 Signature auctions at HA, which surprised me.  It's the same thing at the big auction houses Christie's and Sotheby's, even the Old Masters sales have been unexpectedly robust.  I guess during times of uncertainty, collectibles and fine art are considered safe investments.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8621 on: August 02, 2020, 10:56:15 PM »
Wow!!!  Tried to bid on some stuff on HA but everything is way above what I'm willing to pay.  Way above.  Covid or not Covid, thia hobby of ours is going strong.

T
My Personal Collection

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8622 on: November 08, 2020, 04:09:07 PM »
I already know what T's assessment of this item is, but I would love to hear from some other autograph experts.
This Karloff signature is dated 1969, Karloff died on 2 February 1969 and it is known that he spent the entirety of his last month in the hospital and that he rarely dated any signatures. If I was a gambling man, I would put my money on it not being real.

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #8623 on: November 08, 2020, 11:17:56 PM »
I already know what T's assessment of this item is, but I would love to hear from some other autograph experts.
This Karloff signature is dated 1969, Karloff died on 2 February 1969 and it is known that he spent the entirety of his last month in the hospital and that he rarely dated any signatures. If I was a gambling man, I would put my money on it not being real.

https://youtu.be/224fiqe5PyU

That's exactly why I think it could be real. Wouldn't a forger likely choose another year - or omit one entirely to circumvent the uncertainties that would arise and that you highlight?
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #8624 on: November 09, 2020, 06:38:33 AM »
Wouldn't a forger likely choose another year - or omit one entirely to circumvent the uncertainties that would arise and that you highlight?

That makes some sense. Also, word would soon get round a hospital about a celebrity patient and I imagine it wouldn't be difficult for a nurse or someone similar to get something signed, assuming the patient was not so unwell.

Mark