Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2166967 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8525 on: April 08, 2020, 05:09:34 PM »
I was checking Bruce's auctions and noticed that they end in 20 days.  I also noticed that people keep bidding and overbidding each other.  Can someone explain to me why?  We all know that bidding happens within the last 5 minutes, so why are people getting at it so early?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eric160634

• Beginner
« Reply #8526 on: April 08, 2020, 06:14:36 PM »
I was checking Bruce's auctions and noticed that they end in 20 days.  I also noticed that people keep bidding and overbidding each other.  Can someone explain to me why?  We all know that bidding happens within the last 5 minutes, so why are people getting at it so early?

They don't have anything better to do right now?

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8527 on: April 08, 2020, 10:11:11 PM »
They don't have anything better to do right now?

A buddy and I have been talking about the same thing.  Dagnabbit!  Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8528 on: April 08, 2020, 11:50:25 PM »
Sometimes I watch something go up and up, and I’m like, stop, I’ll get it no matter what, so stop making it more expensive for me.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8529 on: April 09, 2020, 02:22:28 AM »

T

It's called price discovery. Many other collectors have a budget when they bid, and during the course of the auction must make choices and narrow down the list of items they are interested in. If they know piece A is going to sell for more than price X early on, then then can concentrate on piece B and C instead.

Not everyone gets to go T style - just bid on everything you want at the last day and let the auction house add it up and send a bill later.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8530 on: April 09, 2020, 07:37:13 AM »
This is exactly what I've said previously. "Price discovery" didnt know there was a  term for it.

Here's another possibility: fantasy russian roulette. This is when you press the bid button on a super expensive poster you would never be able to afford and watch whether someone will bid on top of you.  The closer you get to the end of the auction the higher the adrenaline rush.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8531 on: April 09, 2020, 07:41:53 AM »
The "fantasy" part comes from a realization that if no one raises the bid and you end up having to pay for the poster, your wife would be beside herself and possibly leave you, hence the "hmmm what if I was single again today..."

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8532 on: April 09, 2020, 11:34:39 AM »
I do Fantasy Bid a lot hahaha, but more to raise the price on someone I don't like.  I will say 75% of the time, the other party ends up paying way way more than they should have, and 25% I'm stuck with something I didn't really want in the first place.  What gives me more satisfaction....  hmmm

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8533 on: April 09, 2020, 10:39:18 PM »
I do Fantasy Bid a lot hahaha, but more to raise the price on someone I don't like.  I will say 75% of the time, the other party ends up paying way way more than they should have, and 25% I'm stuck with something I didn't really want in the first place.  What gives me more satisfaction....  hmmm

T

Ah, how do you know you don't like them, T? Okie

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8534 on: April 09, 2020, 11:15:50 PM »
Multiple reasons.  Sometimes they went after me on an auction and made me lose it hahaha so I make them pay by increasing their future auctions.  All in good fun.  That's the problem with names.  You know who your opponent is.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #8535 on: April 10, 2020, 03:17:27 AM »
All in good fun. 

douchebaggery is ever a fun activity.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8536 on: April 10, 2020, 10:20:09 AM »
douchebaggery is ever a fun activity.

The best!

T
My Personal Collection

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8537 on: June 09, 2020, 06:38:17 PM »
I was just checking Bruce's auction today, and there are a few items I like, but they are all signed.  Since I do not believe signatures to be authentic, I was wondering if there is a way to remove ink from posters without painting over it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8538 on: June 10, 2020, 11:56:55 AM »
times are indeed a changin' in the USA when EMP is not censoring or maybe black boxer is on his/her hols ???

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8539 on: June 12, 2020, 06:00:05 AM »
That is hilarious!

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #8540 on: June 25, 2020, 09:47:27 PM »
Is that Potokar ?

F him  devil 2

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Anyone purchasing Emovie Bulk lots today?
« Reply #8541 on: June 28, 2020, 10:09:57 AM »
 Would like a poster or 2... please lmk if you got one  thumbsup.gif

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #8542 on: June 28, 2020, 02:31:33 PM »
Which posters are you looking for, Vic?
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8543 on: June 28, 2020, 02:49:54 PM »
Theres at least one poster (includine Valerie) in most of the lots I'd buy

Should anyone get a LOT let me know which one you got and I'll make you an offer on a poster or two so you can recoup some of your cash!

Offline descposter

• Hobbyist
    • eMoviePoster,com
« Reply #8544 on: June 28, 2020, 03:31:48 PM »
times are indeed a changin' in the USA when EMP is not censoring or maybe black boxer is on his/her hols ???

DJJeffreyLA is NOT Potokar. Did that guy actually collect or buy anything?
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,500 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,775,000 to date from over 2,800 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8546 on: June 28, 2020, 03:57:29 PM »
DJJeffreyLA is NOT Potokar. Did that guy actually collect or buy anything?

This is a question many people have asked me over the years, and I never got an answer.  I knew he never bought from Bruce, since Bruce couldn't stand him and vice versa.  He posted a couple of things over the years, but really, I don't think he was a collector.  First mistake.

T
My Personal Collection

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8547 on: June 28, 2020, 05:02:03 PM »
I recall seeing around 15 or 20 purchases. I remember because they would each strike me as they were, in my eyes, not too appealing, but each person has their taste and budget, so good on them.

There was one new forum member who was keen about posters but turned out all he collected was poster images (.jpg's) collected from the interwebs. Thus you can have a good interest in posters without having to buy (or even show to the public) much.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8548 on: June 28, 2020, 05:32:47 PM »
I recall seeing around 15 or 20 purchases. I remember because they would each strike me as they were, in my eyes, not too appealing, but each person has their taste and budget, so good on them.

Hahaha I was trying to say something like that, and now I can :)  He really had shitty taste :)  Thanks for opening this can of worms.

T
My Personal Collection

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8549 on: June 28, 2020, 06:08:24 PM »
Jeff did though post a lot of poster images of very expensive and rare posters so he did have an eye for good poster art