Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2194449 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8475 on: June 16, 2019, 04:52:51 PM »
Haaaaa!!!!  I tried on that fucking concert poster.   Couldn’t do it :(

Fun to me is that I own more than half those posters, and I paid a fraction of what they sold for.  Always fun to watch :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8476 on: June 16, 2019, 05:07:42 PM »
Had four on my watchlist, didn’t get near any of them! Looks like I need to save more! Some good bidding scraps going on there, the 6 sheet in particular

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8477 on: June 16, 2019, 05:34:27 PM »
 /shakes fist at 70mmWIDESCREEN
Well at least I made him pay a little more to get what he wanted for the one item I was really interested in.

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8478 on: June 16, 2019, 05:56:20 PM »
I accidentally added a 5th digit to my bid for the Starfall, so no surprise I won.  Not real happy about it, despite it being a fantastic image.  Did get the Polish Yoda, which almost completes my Polish SW collection---just need the shitty Jedi cast one.  Snagged a few others as well---mixed feelings overall given the Starfall fiasco.  Some crazy prices...thankfully have a lot of them already.
-Brian

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8479 on: June 16, 2019, 07:42:07 PM »
I think that an all Star Wars sale is probably THE worst place to buy Star Wars posters.  All the prices are jacked up, because you get the Star Wars collectors and the accidental buyer, especially the way King Bruce has been advertising his sale.  I mean, most of these prices are twice what they should be.  Good for Bruce, though.  I wish I was selling.

T
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 10:01:17 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8480 on: June 16, 2019, 09:44:15 PM »
I think that an all Star Wars sale is probably THE worst place to buy Star Wars posters.

Totally agree, but there were some rare birds in that auction. Sometimes you have to take a shot at them when you see them.  :D
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 10:01:44 PM by eatbrie »

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #8481 on: June 16, 2019, 09:54:03 PM »
Agreed as well. Probably the only time the rare ones will pop up, so you gotta go for them, but for the others just wait for the next rolled auction.
Congrats to those that did score some.
Witty signature goes here.

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #8482 on: June 17, 2019, 04:36:31 AM »
I accidentally added a 5th digit to my bid for the Starfall, so no surprise I won.

I did raise an eyebrow when I saw your name and the winning bid. That must be annoying, but it's a beautiful poster and the way prices are going, it'll probably be around that mark in about 8 months!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8483 on: June 17, 2019, 05:00:05 AM »
Fun to me is that I own more than half those posters, and I paid a fraction of what they sold for.  Always fun to watch :)

T

And, in 10 years' time, someone else will be watching an auction thinking back to 2019 when they too 'paid a fraction of what they are selling for...'

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8484 on: June 17, 2019, 10:08:18 AM »
I did raise an eyebrow when I saw your name and the winning bid. That must be annoying, but it's a beautiful poster and the way prices are going, it'll probably be around that mark in about 8 months!

Lol, yeah, meant my high to be about half the winning bid, instead I bid half a car. Lesson learned. Amazing in all my years of bidding on things I hadn't done that before.....getting old.
-Brian

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8485 on: June 17, 2019, 03:24:56 PM »
I was skiing about 4 years ago and accidentally bid $75k on a HA poster.  I couldn't see the screen and touched the wrong button.  For about ten seconds there, I owned the poster.  My wife was not happy.  It eventually sold for $110k.

:)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8486 on: June 17, 2019, 03:32:34 PM »
And, in 10 years' time, someone else will be watching an auction thinking back to 2019 when they too 'paid a fraction of what they are selling for...'

All I hope is for my kids to get something out of my collection when time comes.  As of yesterday, they will more than quadruple what I spent on Star Wars.  I think it's a fluke, though.  Bruce has been advertising like crazy.  A 6sht is NOT worth $9k.  $3k at most.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8487 on: June 19, 2019, 06:39:43 AM »
I was skiing about 4 years ago and accidentally bid $75k on a HA poster.  I couldn't see the screen and touched the wrong button.  For about ten seconds there, I owned the poster.  My wife was not happy.  It eventually sold for $110k.

:)

T

Bloody hell!

Can one ask what you meant to bid?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8488 on: June 19, 2019, 11:20:43 AM »
Nothing at all.  A friend of mine was intrigued and I was just showing her the website.  "You see that red button there?  Well, if you push it, you bid!!!"  I removed my glove and bid :)

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8489 on: June 20, 2019, 01:21:40 AM »
I can imagine if me, going rapidly into a cold sweat.  My ski suit being wetter on the inside than on the out.  My eyes feverishly and demandingly imploring someone else to bid...

Must have been a loo-oong 10 seconds.

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #8490 on: June 24, 2019, 01:02:57 AM »
Well, it's hard to be a gambler
Bettin' on the number
That changes every time
Well, you think you're gonna win
Think she's givin' in
A stranger's all you find

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #8491 on: June 24, 2019, 10:21:04 PM »
And now Thierry’s wife makes him wear ski gloves every Sunday. Har har.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8492 on: June 24, 2019, 10:54:27 PM »
She doesn't have to worry much anymore.  With 3 kids, my Sunday bidding has almost disintegrated.  Especially HA.  We're always at the beach, or at a bday party, or any other place where I forget to bid or just cannot leave and be rude.

>:(

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8493 on: July 27, 2019, 09:46:23 PM »
Got one poster up to now at Heritage. I bid on a few more that were going to be bargains and perhaps still were when I dropped out. Anyone else successful so far?  Okie

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8494 on: July 27, 2019, 10:54:18 PM »
this one

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8495 on: July 27, 2019, 11:59:28 PM »
this one

I thought about you when I saw that poster, Richie! Wondered if you might go after it.  Cool Die Nibelungen poster!  Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8496 on: July 28, 2019, 01:28:38 AM »
Yeah, got two so far, which is okay because I only had 15 minutes to bid today and they happened to be both at the beginning of the sale.  After that, it was beach time.

T
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:49:48 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8497 on: July 28, 2019, 04:09:55 AM »
I thought about you when I saw that poster, Richie! Wondered if you might go after it.  Cool Die Nibelungen poster!  Okie

thanks Okie..
I had it marked from day one

hard to believe I got it as cheaply as I did

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8498 on: July 28, 2019, 08:56:40 PM »
Yeah, got two so far, which is okay because I only had 15 minutes to bid today and they happened to be both at the beginning of the sale.  After that, it was beach time.

T

Were you hunting Star Wars perhaps, T?  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #8499 on: July 28, 2019, 09:06:48 PM »
thanks Okie..
I had it marked from day one

hard to believe I got it as cheaply as I did

Yeah, Richie, those awesome early German posters are so hard to find, if at all.  Yours is also impressive in size at 47" x 56"!  Fritz Lang, too!  Awesome!