Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2167144 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8325 on: September 21, 2018, 09:48:32 PM »
The opening bid is $12,750.00, it will be interesting to see where this FRANK TC ends up, in October.   bed1

https://www.txauction.com/lots/8049

« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 09:52:45 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8326 on: September 24, 2018, 11:25:07 AM »
bit of a joke description/grading from HA here
btw what the hell is airbrushed back? i guess it means painted? jeezus.
i've always thought it a JOKE that HA doesn't show pics of the backs of lobbies and photos
(probably because i remember that i got a lobby from them which was covered in tape... >:( eyeroll)
anyway, back to You Can't Take It With You, i don't see any mention of fading in the description
hmmmm. looks super f-a-d-e-d to me. have a look at recent EMP pic for comparison

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8327 on: September 24, 2018, 12:38:55 PM »
Yeah, I saw that one.  It looks like fading is not part of their grading as this was listed as fine/very fine (C7.5).  I'd rate this no higher than C5 and more likely C4.

I received a card last year from Heritage that was significantly faded.  No note of faded condition in the description, and the image on the site was significantly color boosted.  At least it doesn't look like they tried to manipulate this image.

I has caused me to be more careful when examining HA material.
-Jay-

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8328 on: September 24, 2018, 04:42:59 PM »
I received a card last year from Heritage that was significantly faded.  No note of faded condition in the description, and the image on the site was significantly color boosted.  At least it doesn't look like they tried to manipulate this image.

I has caused me to be more careful when examining HA material.

i understand that. if i'd recieved something really faded, wasn't described as such and, suprise suprise, the photos miraculously looked great, i'd probably send it back.
it's miss-selling really

personally, i don't buy from HA nowadays - it's a combination of their not great descriptions and p&p costs being extortionate (for overseas). also, the chance of a bargain is superslim ;D i probably will in the future (they get consigned great stuff) but i'm happy with EMP amongst others at this point in time

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8329 on: September 25, 2018, 11:04:00 AM »
i understand that. if i'd recieved something really faded, wasn't described as such and, suprise suprise, the photos miraculously looked great, i'd probably send it back.
it's miss-selling really

personally, i don't buy from HA nowadays - it's a combination of their not great descriptions and p&p costs being extortionate (for overseas). also, the chance of a bargain is superslim ;D i probably will in the future (they get consigned great stuff) but i'm happy with EMP amongst others at this point in time

Yeah, understand.  The card sold for well under value, so I decided to keep it.

I didn't buy from HA for years as I had the same feelings about costs.  However, they sometimes have material that doesn't come up anywhere else.  Over time, my tastes have become more specific and I am down to looking for just a few special items (anybody selling a Swing Time lobby??)

When I bid at HA, I keep a separate ledger for calculations, so I can factor in buyer's premium and shipping before making a bid.  95% of the time, it means I pass on stuff, especially for the weekly auctions.
-Jay-

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8330 on: September 25, 2018, 11:19:54 AM »
When I bid at HA, I keep a separate ledger for calculations, so I can factor in buyer's premium and shipping before making a bid.  95% of the time, it means I pass on stuff, especially for the weekly auctions.

separate ledger?
because seeing the exact amount you are bidding on the bid screen is too difficult?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8331 on: September 25, 2018, 12:49:09 PM »
^ bit patronising?
if you are in europe and buy something as small as a lobby, HA will hit you with at least $80 postage (might be more now!)
as i've said, i'd rather give my money to EMP (it has great pay+hold service) than HA+Fedex

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8332 on: September 25, 2018, 03:25:05 PM »
^ bit patronising?

no, just an honest question.
No doubt, international shipping can be quite expensive, though we already know HA will also hold items for shipment, so that negates part of your rationale.
The original poster of course, isn't international and HA publishes a domestic shipping chart so that you know exactly what your charges will be anytime you care to look them up (https://movieposters.ha.com/c/contact-us.zx?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fmovieposters.ha.com%2Fc%2Fsitemap.zx%3Fic%3Dfooter-sitemap-060716&topicId=21)
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8333 on: September 25, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
no, just an honest question.
No doubt, international shipping can be quite expensive, though we already know HA will also hold items for shipment, so that negates part of your rationale.
The original poster of course, isn't international and HA publishes a domestic shipping chart so that you know exactly what your charges will be anytime you care to look them up (https://movieposters.ha.com/c/contact-us.zx?ref=http%3A%2F%2Fmovieposters.ha.com%2Fc%2Fsitemap.zx%3Fic%3Dfooter-sitemap-060716&topicId=21)

I was going to let it pass, but I read your previous response as a bit arrogant as well.

HA shipping tends to be double the cost of most other places.  I agree that the buyer premium is listed, but it becomes a factor after you initially set your bid.  Add to this the fact that in most places I tend to buy several items which generally can be combined in shipping.  At HA, it is either one item, or every weekly auction is so diverse that it is unlikely that items can be combined.  That means that even here in the US, the costs for shipping are real and much higher than say Emovieposter.

Not necessarily a killer, but as I stated before, it is a real expense and one where I need to be more careful to look at the real cost of purchasing.

You may not give a crap, and if so more power to you.  To me it makes a difference and influences what I choose to purchase, especially in HA's weekly auctions.
-Jay-

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8334 on: September 25, 2018, 04:00:53 PM »
HA shipping tends to be double the cost of most other places.  I agree that the buyer premium is listed, but it becomes a factor after you initially set your bid.  Add to this the fact that in most places I tend to buy several items which generally can be combined in shipping.   At HA, it is either one item, or every weekly auction is so diverse that it is unlikely that items can be combined.  That means that even here in the US, the costs for shipping are real...

Not sure what "most other places" means, but when comparing auction houses to auction houses, HA is in the middle of the pack at worst - the frequent complaints of $200 shipping for a single poster and such from other places will attest to that.

As T frequently points out, HA will hold orders to help save on shipping. Yes, it's tough to combine a one-sheet with a lobby card, but that's the breaks some times.

Everyone has their own tolerance level for the value of getting an item to them safely, and I wouldn't presume to dictate yours to you.  thumbsup.gif

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8335 on: September 25, 2018, 05:27:24 PM »
^ i like the way you say you don't understand "most other places" and then use the phrase yourself  Doh.gif

also i can't believe you are defending HA postage costs. do you work for them? ;D

the frequent complaints of $200 shipping for a single poster and such from other places will attest to that.
got a link?

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8336 on: September 25, 2018, 06:25:16 PM »
also i can't believe you are defending HA postage costs. do you work for them? ;D
got a link?

I would suggest starting in the thread titled "Questionable Shipping Quotes From Major Auction Houses", but it is so obvious that I am sure you already looked there...
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,12844.0.html
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8337 on: September 25, 2018, 06:31:09 PM »
 eyeroll . not frequent complaints at all on that link

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8338 on: September 25, 2018, 06:37:51 PM »
eyeroll . not frequent complaints at all on that link

It is of course a single thread in the whole "Packing and Shipping" section.
more telling is the $293 shipping quote the buyer mentions and that a similar package would be $50 from Profiles and $30 from Heritage.  Hardly seems like Heritage is the price leader in that scenario, but again different levels for different folks.

I offer a toast to you to settle, as I'm sure for everyone who complains about a higher price you can find someone who is less (which is what being in the middle means).
 cheers
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8339 on: September 25, 2018, 06:41:44 PM »
 cheers

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8340 on: September 27, 2018, 01:36:32 PM »
i can't see any bids at the auction for rare horror. is a flurry of late bidding expected and in the meantime collectors are just playing their cards close to their chest?

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #8341 on: September 28, 2018, 06:55:53 AM »
^ it ends in over 2 weeks, thats why  Doh.gif (i'm sure it said 4 days remaining when i checked yesterday though ???)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8342 on: September 29, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »
^ it ends in over 2 weeks, thats why  Doh.gif (i'm sure it said 4 days remaining when i checked yesterday though ???)

I noticed that countdown clock in red, too... and it's WAY off (unless maybe it's the time left to submit online bids or something?) Dunno.

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8343 on: September 29, 2018, 06:08:29 PM »
I noticed that countdown clock in red, too... and it's WAY off (unless maybe it's the time left to submit online bids or something?) Dunno.

The countdown clock is until the auction goes live - which would also explain the lack of bidding.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline pratschm

• Hoarder
« Reply #8344 on: November 06, 2018, 08:36:37 PM »
I have to ask - have I become cheap or are some of these prices just simply insane???  ??? ??? ???
Witty signature goes here.

Offline JCM

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8345 on: November 06, 2018, 08:43:10 PM »
4 thousand dollar rolled Jaws. Daaaaaaaamn. Props to whomever consigned that bitch.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8346 on: November 06, 2018, 08:49:23 PM »
So ridiculous.  I paid $250 for mine 12 years ago and it is mint.

Some people either have too much money or no brains.  Maybe a little bit of both.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8347 on: November 06, 2018, 08:55:30 PM »
It is bonkers especially since 2 others were auctioned this year for $2300 --- about half as much. 
Good for Bruce and co. though.   :)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #8348 on: November 06, 2018, 09:28:19 PM »
4 thousand dollar rolled Jaws. Daaaaaaaamn. Props to whomever consigned that bitch.

THANK YOU!

(I'm just kidding. I WISH it had been me...)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:29:23 PM by Monster_A_GoGo »
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8349 on: November 06, 2018, 09:40:21 PM »
Maybe Chop Top bit the mega bullet and went for it!   ;D piratemel

-Jeff