Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2190401 times)

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8050 on: October 18, 2017, 09:58:16 AM »
Just incredible.

guest4955

« Reply #8051 on: October 18, 2017, 06:43:40 PM »
Terrific PF "Lucky Strikes" coming up at HA sig:

But way cooler is this fella's t-shirt, which has the ENTIRE PF script:

Uncomfortable Silences

Mia: "Don't you hate that?"
Vincent: "What?"
Mia: "Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bulls**t in order to be comfortable?"
Vincent: "I don't know. That's a good question."
Mia: "That's when you know you've found somebody special. When you can just shut the f**k up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence."

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8052 on: October 28, 2017, 11:50:24 AM »

-Jeff

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #8053 on: November 01, 2017, 09:10:37 PM »

Hipster shirt is hip.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8054 on: November 04, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »
Just checked Bruce’s auctions for tomorrow.  Why did they have to separate a complete set of LCs like The Birds?  Sets are hard enough to find complete, now someone most surely will end up with an incomplete one.  I don’t get that.  Keep the sets together.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8055 on: November 04, 2017, 06:41:25 PM »
Just checked Bruce’s auctions for tomorrow.  Why did they have to separate a complete set of LCs like The Birds?  Sets are hard enough to find complete, now someone most surely will end up with an incomplete one.  I don’t get that.  Keep the sets together.

T

According to Bruce's earlier posts, splitting sets is totally under the control of the person consigning them.  The seller believes the split set will go for an overall higher price, even with Bruce's larger commission for each card.  The 8 cards combined are at $686 with a day to go, and will undoubtedly go higher.  Just looked at Bruce's archives and the set has traditionally gone for $500-650.

Besides, building the set is part of the fun.  I collect sets when available, but also have many partials that I slowly build up.  It is a real rush when you find that 8th card to complete a set.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:43:29 PM by jayn_j »
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8056 on: November 04, 2017, 06:53:45 PM »
According to Bruce's earlier posts, splitting sets is totally under the control of the person consigning them.  The seller believes the split set will go for an overall higher price, even with Bruce's larger commission for each card.  The 8 cards combined are at $686 with a day to go, and will undoubtedly go higher.  Just looked at Bruce's archives and the set has traditionally gone for $500-650.

Greedy bastards.  Always more money, gimme, gimme, gimme...  No ethics.

Besides, building the set is part of the fun.  I collect sets when available, but also have many partials that I slowly build up.  It is a real rush when you find that 8th card to complete a set.

Not to me.  I only buy full sets.  I don't care about the Birds set, already own it, but I find it sad.  Again, greed wins it all.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8057 on: November 04, 2017, 07:08:19 PM »
Greedy bastards.  Always more money, gimme, gimme, gimme...  No ethics. Again, greed wins it all.

T

this equation exists on both sides of the fence.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8058 on: November 04, 2017, 11:50:58 PM »

Not to me.  I only buy full sets.  I don't care about the Birds set, already own it, but I find it sad.  Again, greed wins it all.

T

I only have a couple of The Birds cards myself.  Not what I usually collect, but I lived in Santa Rosa and we used to drive down to Bodega Bay for fresh crab and a nice drive.  I picked the cards that fed nostalgia for me.
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8059 on: November 05, 2017, 12:34:50 AM »
Ha, I forgot that Santa Rosa is where they shot the movie.  I need to go check it out one of these days.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #8060 on: November 05, 2017, 10:00:44 PM »

Just to close this out.  The 8 cards went to 6 different bidders for a total of $967.  Way above the $600-650 the set would have sold for.
-Jay-

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8062 on: November 06, 2017, 02:35:15 AM »
This Realart 1951RR insert for Frankenstein certainly seems to be doing mighty fine in HA's current Sig Auction.

Not too shabby for a RR, with the high bid currently at $5500.00 (+ the BP)

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/horror/frankenstein-realart-r-1951-insert-14-x-36-/a/7167-86297.s?ic5=CatalogHome-ActionArea-JumpToLot-071515

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 12:18:19 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8063 on: November 06, 2017, 06:39:13 AM »

T

Isn't this purely a celebration of the capitalist world in which we live?  Not sure ethics comes into it unless one counts stupidity or charity as being related.

That said, I haven't done the calculations as to whether the higher commission rates for lesser valued items would in fact serve only to shoot the consignor in the foot.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8064 on: November 06, 2017, 07:08:00 AM »
This Realart 1951RR insert for Frankenstein certainly seems to be doing mighty fine in HA's current Sig Auction.

Re: why prices are going down the toilet

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8065 on: November 06, 2017, 02:04:45 PM »

I don't... I don't... understand :-[

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #8066 on: November 08, 2017, 09:21:38 AM »
I'm finding it hard to understand how this item could attract any bids. I guess emovie think it will have some value or they wouldn't be auctioning it.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4828098

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8067 on: November 08, 2017, 10:47:52 AM »
Wow, it's a Back to the Future poster I don't own.  Must bid on it immediately.

thumbsup.gif

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8068 on: November 08, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
I'm finding it hard to understand how this item could attract any bids. I guess emovie think it will have some value or they wouldn't be auctioning it.

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4828098

Maybe there is some value, too, because the poster, tho from humid South America, shows no signs of Fox-ing.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 12:39:13 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8069 on: November 08, 2017, 12:40:42 PM »

The poster was trimmed massively, reattached, and repainted, to make an entirely different poster from what it started (see above).

The artistic liberty someone took with that is interesting.  I'd like to see more stuff like that.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8070 on: November 08, 2017, 01:01:12 PM »
The poster was trimmed massively, reattached, and repainted, to make an entirely different poster from what it started (see above).

The artistic liberty someone took with that is interesting.  I'd like to see more stuff like that.

why would anyone sell a pos like this?

I usually throw stuff like this either into the trash or at best, into a pile of stuff that will be sold as a pile of crap.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8071 on: November 08, 2017, 01:27:29 PM »
why would anyone sell a pos like this?

I usually throw stuff like this either into the trash or at best, into a pile of stuff that will be sold as a pile of crap.

Good for you.

thumbup

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #8072 on: November 08, 2017, 02:28:28 PM »
Wow, it's a Back to the Future poster I don't own.  Must bid on it immediately.

thumbsup.gif

T

I thought of you immediately when I saw it. Apologies for outing the auction. Hopefully it won't get run up too much  ;)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #8073 on: November 08, 2017, 02:41:11 PM »
I thought of you immediately when I saw it. Apologies for outing the auction. Hopefully it won't get run up too much  ;)

Damn you!!!  I'm actually quite surprised Bruce is auctioning something like this.  So he will just auction everything?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #8074 on: November 08, 2017, 07:12:05 PM »
All joking aside, it is a real mystery why someone would do that to a poster.

Drawing mustaches or poking holes in nipples or whatever else people typically do to deface posters, I can at least understand.

But somebody spent actual time and effort modifying that poster. WHY?????  I'd bid $1 if I thought it would solve the mystery.