Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2195000 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #8025 on: September 26, 2017, 04:07:41 PM »
That's a very strange size, wonder if Walter measured it correctly.

Sean, if that size is correct, could it be a size that is super rare or was not produced much at all? (Hence his asking price?)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 04:12:35 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8026 on: September 26, 2017, 07:38:08 PM »
John Hazleton's unbacked copy of White Zombie (1938RR), which has been listed on ebay for forever, is still available at his same listing price of $1250.00 (BIN).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-ZOMBIE-BELA-LUGOSI-HORROR-CLASSIC-R-1938-1-SHEET-/150759120627?hash=item2319f19ef3:m:mxR_h-kGEqBTEOi2ltpnTqg

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:43:43 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #8027 on: September 26, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »
And 10 forum members have offered them 799 tonight due to these forum posts..

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8028 on: September 26, 2017, 07:52:48 PM »
I wrote him a few years ago asking if there was "wiggle room" on his price for this poster.

He said (then) that it was a firm price.. And with no best offer option (ever) on this listing.. Im assuming it still is a solid selling price.

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8029 on: September 26, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
Why do you think (or how do you know) that the high end bidders and winners at HA's auctions are non-movie poster collectors?
Im thinking that many of the deep pocketed folks who bid there are serious (yet quiet) collectors with major collections.

not all of them, but I suspect a lot of non-movie poster collectors come out of the woodwork for these auctions.  That is the power of major auction houses like HA.  How else can we explain some of the absurd results?  They are attracted by the fuss of it all.  Just like when I bought a big cast iron butter churner at the farm auction last week.  WTF am I going to do with a big butter churner?  Had to have it though... 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8030 on: September 26, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »
I guess we would have to ask Grey Smith to get the definitive, general answer to this question/hypothesis.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8031 on: September 28, 2017, 09:51:36 PM »
in auctions you find all kinds of people and HA, due to their huge membership across a very many fields, multi-million dollar advertising campaigns, their ability to find things no other auctions can and that they are owned & run by people who are actually collectors (unlike some auctions), they know exactly what to do to maximize values & clientele, because they understand both sides - what a seller wants and what collectors want

Jim Halperin for instance is one of the top collectors in comics & comic art for instance (he's spent quite a bit of money with me, including buying several EC stories & other Mad art from me). Jim Ivey is a major coin collector.

Being a collector is what led to my becoming a dealer and as we all know, I buy lots of stuff for myself and can't stop.. (it's a disease)

All auctions are not run by actual collectors.. and it makes a difference

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest4531

« Reply #8032 on: September 29, 2017, 05:13:52 AM »

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8033 on: September 29, 2017, 07:35:10 AM »
 ;D

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #8034 on: September 29, 2017, 02:34:56 PM »
what every collector wants........

:P

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8035 on: September 29, 2017, 02:38:36 PM »
what every collector wants........

:P

you mean besides fake autographs?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

guest4955

« Reply #8036 on: September 30, 2017, 09:49:31 AM »
So so COOL!

HA will auction POTO Style L:

Description

The Phantom of the Opera (Universal, 1925). One Sheet (27.5" X 41") Style L.

A piece of untold scarcity that should make any collector sit up and take notice, we at Heritage take the greatest pleasure in presenting this much sought after one sheet. As one of Universal's early horror hits, this adaptation of Gaston Leroux's famous novel became the stuff of movie legends, due in large part to the talents of its leading actor. In addition to turning in a terrifying yet moving performance, Lon Chaney more than lived up to his moniker as "The Man of a Thousand Faces" as the disfigured Erik. Among his skillful, and sometimes painful, make-up techniques were that of using a wire to hold his nose in place, heavy grease paint to give the impression of sunken, skull-like eyes, and wearing rows of jagged fake teeth. It remains the most accurate depiction of the Phantom to date, a horrifying visage said to have made patrons faint at the sight. To keep Chaney's feat of artistry a secret, Universal obscured and misrepresented the Phantom in every single advertisement, including this dramatic one sheet. Given the presence of a mysterious masked figure, lurking in the shadows while chaos reigns below, audiences no doubt assumed this was an illustration of the dreaded Opera Ghost. Instead, the poster treats us to the sight of Norman Kerry in his role as the valiant Raoul de Chagny in his masquerade costume, a much more dapper guise than the true Phantom.

From a lavish production worthy of its source material, this exquisite stone litho one sheet has undergone careful restoration to return it to its former glory. The first of its kind to ever be offered at Heritage, the poster once showed horizontal creasing under the Universal Productions credit, tears and small chips in the borders and folds, and general wear and tear at folds. There was a chip in the left border and the poster had a few vertical tears extending from the top and bottom horizontal folds into the background. Although it retained much of its original color, there has been very minor color touchup to a few areas in the image and the "Ph" of the title. The poster was partially trimmed into the border, leaving the majority of the white border still intact. The missing portion has since been completely restored, and the borders have been airbrushed. Now a marvel to behold, this exquisite gem of a poster would be a crowning piece in any collection. Fine/Very Fine on Linen.

Estimate: $50,000 - $100,000.   

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/horror/the-phantom-of-the-opera-universal-1925-one-sheet-275-x-41-style-l/p/7167-16002.s?ic5=Home-FeaturedItems-071515

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8037 on: October 01, 2017, 01:15:32 PM »
Interesting interpretation and redraw of the US teaser OS art for the German poster for The Invisible Man (1933)

Est: $4000-8000.00

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/the-invisible-man-universal-1933-danish-one-sheet-245-x-335-/p/7167-56001.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

-Jeff

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8039 on: October 04, 2017, 07:21:53 PM »
What an exquisite poster! I love it!

It truly is, Michael.

It was mentioned previously in this same thread, too.  ;)

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,833.msg224355.html#msg224355

-Jeff

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #8040 on: October 04, 2017, 07:42:10 PM »
It truly is, Michael.

It was mentioned previously in this same thread, too.  ;)

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,833.msg224355.html#msg224355

Nice work Jeff! Sometimes I fall behind on my reading. But now that I think about it, I actually fell behind on my "commenting" lol. I was going to comment a few weeks ago and never got around to it. Anyway, good look'n out!  thumbsup.gif
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8041 on: October 04, 2017, 07:44:50 PM »

Nice work Jeff! Sometimes I fall behind on my reading. But now that I think about it, I actually fell behind on my "commenting" lol. I was going to comment a few weeks ago and never got around to it. Anyway, good look'n out!  thumbsup.gif

I'm a huge "Phantom Phan" and anything related to this flick always grabs my eye, Michael.

Maybe one day a poster morsel will come floating by.

We all can fall behind due to life and life things; it happens and the forum continues to ebb and flow accordingly.  cheers
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:48:55 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8042 on: October 07, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »
A propos of no links, but only a reference to EMP's Sunday auction (7th October), I am amazed that an entity that purports to sell only Movie material, as the company name suggests, does so well to sell posters of non-movie related material.  Travel, War, etc.

How do people otherwise Not interested in Movie posters decide to peruse sites of exactly that if their interests pertain to other things?

For my part, I am aware I do Not look at general poster auctions since my area of interest is only this.  Movies.  (Indeed, Bond)  But, yunno...

Thoughts?

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #8043 on: October 07, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
I collect travel posters along with movie posters, maybe most people do, thus already know of EMP. Those that don't I guess would easy discover it with Google for travel or war posters. Bruce asked forum members some years ago about changing the name of EMP to better reflect EMP selling non movie poster items but as time has shown the EMP name remained.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #8044 on: October 07, 2017, 05:58:44 PM »
Ok.

That serves well the people that are known movie poster collectors, who also cross pollinate (for want of better terminology).

But why would someone who has these things for sale, place them with a niche oriented auction faction (such as movie posters) as opposed to something more generic that is known for auctioning, as well as posters, wine, salad bowls and egg slicers?

To wit, if in fact I had an egg slicer to auction, I wouldn't pop it in the middle of an auction for diamonds.

Again, just curious as to the thinking of all parties.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #8045 on: October 07, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
Non-movie posters are probably my favorite emp auctions, in my ways a lot of the non-movie posters can be more rare, interesting and pleasing to the eye than movie posters.

A lot of movie posters Bruce sells, well, they sell for a dollar to ten dollars, so it would make sense to sell others posters that are likely to sell for more.  And by the same logic - to consign there as well.

I started collecting non-movie posters and branched into movie posters from there so the opposite transition would also hold true.

guest4955

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #8047 on: October 16, 2017, 03:02:23 PM »
This is pretty much the coolest thing in the HA auction - Kallis original art for the Invasion of the Saucer-men poster

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #8048 on: October 16, 2017, 03:39:32 PM »
Rad original art there from a great artist.   cool1

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8049 on: October 16, 2017, 03:41:25 PM »
This is pretty much the coolest thing in the HA auction - Kallis original art for the Invasion of the Saucer-men poster

AWESOME!!!  notworthy.gif

-Jeff