Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2194571 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7950 on: July 29, 2017, 03:27:06 PM »
I already missed 2.

Great.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #7951 on: July 29, 2017, 03:33:57 PM »
Dag, HA seriously underestimated this one, already near its HE:

Gonna drop my real bid at the end....

They do that sometimes.  I remember a Russian Solaris they had at around $2000 that ended up going north of 7K.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7952 on: July 29, 2017, 04:09:34 PM »
Metropolis daybill $215k!

jawdrop

I wonder why the floor bidder didn't want the second poster?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #7953 on: July 29, 2017, 05:00:29 PM »
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there weren't too many lots I wanted in today's HA Signature sale, but I did manage to snatch this beautiful Italian 4 Fogli for Miami Story.  I typically only buy classic sci-fi/horror paper, but once in a while I fall for the lurid imagery of a film noir poster, and this is one such instance.  I'm also a big Ballester fan, so this one was a no-brainer for me.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7954 on: July 29, 2017, 05:09:45 PM »
Nice one!  I think I'm done with the 1st session.  I had 3 posters left, until I realized they were all linenbacked :(  Thank God I checked.  HA should do like Emovie and make it more visible up front.

T
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:41:07 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7955 on: July 29, 2017, 05:14:52 PM »
The good news for me is that there is a poster I really want this afternoon.  It is linenbacked and a bit on the expensive side.  Just by accident, I happened to ask a collector friend of mine about it yesterday and he agreed to sell me a mint folded one.  So if the poster ends up selling for way less on hA, I'll buy the linen version.  Otherwise, I know what my spending limit is.

;D

T
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:40:23 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7956 on: July 29, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there weren't too many lots I wanted in today's HA Signature sale, but I did manage to snatch this beautiful Italian 4 Fogli for Miami Story.  I typically only buy classic sci-fi/horror paper, but once in a while I fall for the lurid imagery of a film noir poster, and this is one such instance.  I'm also a big Ballester fan, so this one was a no-brainer for me.

this is one of about a half dozen Italian noir posters that are off-the-scale
nice pickup

I almost bid on the Human Desire poster

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #7957 on: July 29, 2017, 07:46:29 PM »
Thanks guys!  I'm very happy with this purchase, I think this poster is truly stunning.

Just saw that the linen-backed OS for Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man blew past its high estimate and sold for over 31K! 

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7958 on: July 29, 2017, 08:44:28 PM »
Beautiful, Ben.

And congrats!! clap clap clap

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #7959 on: July 29, 2017, 09:45:19 PM »

Congrats!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7960 on: July 29, 2017, 09:59:30 PM »
Missed on some big pieces...  >:(

Won these... all folded.

And this one that I bid on today, lost but ended up purchasing a mint folded last night for a little less.

T
My Personal Collection

guest4955

« Reply #7961 on: July 29, 2017, 10:03:04 PM »
Blow-out!

Offline hepcatpunk

• Hobbyist
« Reply #7962 on: July 31, 2017, 01:53:14 PM »
Love the LoA, T.  Had my eyes on it---about as nice an example as one could hope to find.  All the LoA stuff was in pretty nice shape.
-Brian

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7963 on: August 01, 2017, 04:07:09 AM »
Love the LoA art...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #7964 on: August 11, 2017, 12:13:05 PM »
Not posters, but both items on platforms that we all know and love, and both with one or two days left on each.  An Octopussy World Royal Premiere brochure.

And one where ebay seems to do better than emp, so far...

$17 on emp
http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4726722

£360 on ebayy
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAMES-BOND-007-OCTOPUSSY-Royal-World-Charity-Programme-1983-RARE/311930652363?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Curious as to how all this plays out.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7965 on: September 03, 2017, 02:51:38 PM »
Some good stuff at Bruce's.  None for me because it's linenbacked, but some good stuff.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7966 on: September 10, 2017, 11:39:55 AM »
Looking at Bruce's auctions ending today, and more precisely those ET mock-ups, it always amazes me that people would spend any kind of money on rejected art.  Obviously, it was rejected for a reason - because it's not good.  Why would anyone want to collect art that wasn't is a mystery to me.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7967 on: September 10, 2017, 12:00:25 PM »
Looking at Bruce's auctions ending today, and more precisely those ET mock-ups, it always amazes me that people would spend any kind of money on rejected art.  Obviously, it was rejected for a reason - because it's not good.  Why would anyone want to collect art that wasn't is a mystery to me.

T

I can certainly see true, hardcore completists for any film to go after material like this. Those types will go after anything associated with a movie, be it rejected art, test wardrobe that wasnt used in the film etc.

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7968 on: September 10, 2017, 12:20:28 PM »
You know I'm a hardcore completist when it comes to Spielberg (more than 1,400 posters on the man) but this is just... head  scratching.  I saw so much shit go thru garbage while working at studios, it still amazes me the stuff people will collect.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline PosterMoster

• Beginner
« Reply #7969 on: September 10, 2017, 01:41:30 PM »

The link and image for this Ed April Buck Rogers poster are gone.   

I was curious what this poster looked like - does anyone have a picture of it they can post?

I advised Heritage that the Buck Rogers poster at this link was incorrectly described (it was not a 1940 release poster, it was a 1960s poster done by comics reprint guy Ed April.

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/serial/buck-rogers-famous-funnies-1940-newstand-poster-165-x-215-serial/a/161719-51053.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Heritage cancelled all bids & removed the item from the auction

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7970 on: September 10, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »

I was curious what this poster looked like - does anyone have a picture of it they can post?

it reproduced this comic cover

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/buck-rogers-2-mile-high-pedigree-eastern-color-1941-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages-this-spellbinding-dick-calkins-cover-feat/a/803-6645.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7971 on: September 10, 2017, 07:08:11 PM »

Wait a minute, when Heritage has something mis-described, they don't just add a small print warning somewhere in the auction?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7972 on: September 10, 2017, 09:05:51 PM »
Wait a minute, when Heritage has something mis-described, they don't just add a small print warning somewhere in the auction?

I thought that's what every auction house did?  dontknow.gif

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7973 on: September 11, 2017, 01:52:50 PM »

Nope. They did what every auction is supposed to do, immediately & without any pushback.
I told Grey what it was, he asked 2 questions and then it was removed.

HA does not and never will do anything different, no matter what any competitor says

I thought that's what every auction house did?  dontknow.gif

you are misinformed
 ;)

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7974 on: September 11, 2017, 02:05:58 PM »
Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com link=topic= GoOn.gif833.msg224317#msg224317 date=1505152370
Nope. They did what every auction is supposed to do, immediately & without any pushback.
I told Grey what it was, he asked 2 questions and then it was removed.

HA does not and never will do anything different, no matter what any competitor says

you are misinformed
 ;)

Silly me.   GoOn.gif

-Jeff