Author Topic: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2167220 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Mid-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #7900 on: June 29, 2017, 12:15:22 PM »
This guy on eBay UK has some rad stuff, from the video store days of yore.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/harrymonk-uk

These standees are probably pretty darn rare:

A very rare UK video format, for what some people say is the best artwork for Top Gun:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7901 on: June 29, 2017, 12:30:51 PM »
Im liking the Creepshow standee, Brandon.  cool1

Looks like it's got 5 bids and it's up to £26.00

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREEPSHOW-VIDEO-SHOP-DISPLAY-STANDEE-PRE-CERT-INTEREST-/311904263847?hash=item489ef15ea7:g:tnUAAOSwN2VZUSrd

-Jeff

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #7902 on: June 29, 2017, 01:23:46 PM »
LOVE that Creepshow standee (although the art looks nothing like the movie itself...)!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7903 on: June 29, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »
I was just checking Emovie's upcoming auction, the one ending today, and I cannot understand why so many modern posters are in fair, good, even good to very good condition.  They should all be mint.  They're new, right?  What do people do with their posters?  And people still buy them.  What do I know.

T
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 03:44:29 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4531

« Reply #7904 on: June 30, 2017, 04:00:02 AM »
I was just checking Emovie's upcoming auction, the one ending today, and I cannot understand why so many modern posters are in fair, good, even good to very good condition.  They should all be mint.  They're new, right?  What do people do with their posters?  And people still buy them.  What do I know.

T

I wonder too...

... like sexploitation fan having orgies on floor cover of posters

... or horror fan slashing their surrounding with cutter knives  faint2.gif

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #7905 on: June 30, 2017, 10:34:16 AM »

T

Don't understand the fair, but I do understand the VG ones.  These are the posters that actually got hung in the theater, as opposed to the never touched NIB stuff.

To each his own.
-Jay-

guest4955

« Reply #7906 on: June 30, 2017, 01:27:49 PM »

T

I bought 8 "beauty photo" MPs in that auction, most for just a few dollars. Buying en masse saves big bucks on shipping. All were graded as VG/G but appear VF/NM to me after inspecting the XL images. So EMP undergrades its MPs IMO.  Here's the "good" Catwoman, which has only minor edge fraying in the upper right which will be covered by my frames:

PS As I recall, BH claimed $9 overhead per sold poster, so they should charge $10 min. HA charges $20 min. MPB $3.MPE $10

guest4955

« Reply #7907 on: June 30, 2017, 01:39:05 PM »
HA's SIG starts in a week, here are the mega-bucks MPS, which most of us can't afford.

No you are not dreaming you see TWO DAYBILLS near the top, which are actually terrific IMO. Normally, daybills are ha-ha:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7908 on: June 30, 2017, 03:14:40 PM »
I haven't looked at it yet, will do so a couple days before the auction, but I'm excited.  Some of my better pieces come from the sig auction.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7909 on: June 30, 2017, 03:56:15 PM »
As per usual, HA has so many rare and beautious pieces once again being offered in the upcoming Sig Auction.

Should be another exciting one to watch and partake in.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7910 on: June 30, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
PS As I recall, BH claimed $9 overhead per sold poster, so they should charge $10 min. HA charges $20 min. MPB $3.MPE $10

We debunked that fallacy a few months ago. Bruce wasn't pleased that someone called him out on it.
It was all math based and basically at the numbers Bruce always throws around, his employees would each have to do a year and a half's worth of labor to produce a year's worth of auctions.

You can have fun and read it http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,11746.0.html if you would like.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #7911 on: June 30, 2017, 06:50:19 PM »
There are quite a few incredible posters in that HA Sig Auction.  I'm definitely looking forward to this.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #7912 on: June 30, 2017, 07:08:23 PM »
We debunked that fallacy a few months ago. Bruce wasn't pleased that someone called him out on it.
It was all math based and basically at the numbers Bruce always throws around, his employees would each have to do a year and a half's worth of labor to produce a year's worth of auctions.

You can have fun and read it http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,11746.0.html if you would like.

and Mel even got an honorable mention, in absentia
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,11746.msg215097.html#msg215097

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest4955

« Reply #7913 on: June 30, 2017, 09:37:47 PM »
and Mel even got an honorable mention, in absentia
http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,11746.msg215097.html#msg215097

Don't know why peeps say I was batsh*t crazy in Round 1, just cuz I spent a gazillion hours on the hobby - which I should have spent chasing the 1 million+ single femmes in DC - and somehow managed to lose $50K on it despite being a 5 SuperStar Collector.

I would note that particular punch was thrown by the Daybill King Pimp Daddy, so his judgement is askew....

guest4955

« Reply #7914 on: June 30, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »

Rather than wading through four pages of posts on this issue, I'll just concede I'm clueless about movie poster economics and will STFU about the subject.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7915 on: June 30, 2017, 09:49:41 PM »
Don't know why peeps say I was batsh*t crazy in Round 1, just cuz I spent a gazillion hours on the hobby - which I should have spent chasing the 1 million+ single femmes in DC - and somehow managed to lose $50K on it despite being a 5 SuperStar Collector.

I would note that particular punch was thrown by the Daybill King Pimp Daddy, so his judgement is askew....

Daybill artists at work

Gone With the Wind

Mysterious Island

Wizard of Oz

the Lion King

not sure what movie this is..... could be a promo for National Geographic.....

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 09:50:45 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7916 on: June 30, 2017, 10:03:09 PM »

Daybill artists at work

These fine folks are far too talented to produce the artwork I see on most daybills.
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7917 on: June 30, 2017, 10:06:13 PM »
These fine folks are far too talented to produce the artwork I see on most daybills.

those were the better artists on Richardson daybills

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7918 on: July 01, 2017, 02:01:50 AM »
those were the better artists on Richardson daybills

I have to say that some of the Richardson Studios stuff is pretty outstanding.

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #7919 on: July 01, 2017, 02:22:39 AM »
As per usual, HA has so many rare and beautious pieces once again being offered in the upcoming Sig Auction.

Should be another exciting one to watch and partake in.  thumbsup.gif

That's the right attitude Jeff, ra-ra, everybody wang chung tonight, etc.

But not for me alas. See I've really become enamored of a particular ultra-rare 1930s 1S up for bid, 95% obscured:

I've hired CyberVor, a notorious Russian group, to hack HA's bidding records and find out who else is bidding on it.

I've also hired Egyptian Queen Mummy Ahmanet, who is available for gigs now that her movie flat-lined in the US, to track down other bidders, chew their faces off, and convert what-is-left-of-them into undead mummies to serve her for the next five billion years until the sun supernovas and incinerates them.

So fair warning to all.....

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7920 on: July 01, 2017, 02:30:03 AM »
If that screen grab is any indication of what she looked like in the flick,  :o  spew  I can see why it tanked (one of several reasons, no doubt, along with CGI overload and Universal also driving this theme/franchise into the ground).

And could the title have been any more original?  hitself
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 02:34:43 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7921 on: July 01, 2017, 02:43:45 AM »
Here's a pricey "New Universal" insert from 1940 -  for Black Friday, with Mssrs Karloff & Lugosi.

With a BIN of $12,000.00 / obo   

Plus $50.00 for Expedited Shipping.  faint2.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-FRIDAY-RARE-ORIG-INSERT-BORIS-KARLOFF-BELA-LUGOSI-1940-UNIVERSAL-HORROR-/112460814176?hash=item1a2f2fd760:g:uioAAOSwjqVZL3iH

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:25:17 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #7922 on: July 01, 2017, 01:06:08 PM »
But not for me alas. See I've really become enamored of a particular ultra-rare 1930s 1S up for bid, 95% obscured:

Good luck on the Let's Fall In Love Mel, stone lithos are the best.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7923 on: July 01, 2017, 01:08:55 PM »
Good luck on the Let's Fall In Love Mel, stone lithos are the best.

I totally agree with you on this, too Sean.

And that one is a nice looking poster (and it needed to be 98% hidden, mel, along without referencing it's in HA's auction) ;)

Im always amazed how items like this that havent been seen as much or are more uncommon still pop up in Grey's hands. There must be a trove of things held by people out there, just waiting to once again see the light of day. That's exciting to think about.  Good luck in snagging it.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 01:12:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #7924 on: July 01, 2017, 01:29:27 PM »
Im always amazed how items like this that havent been seen as much or are more uncommon still pop up in Grey's hands. There must be a trove of things held by people out there, just waiting to once again see the light of day.

Grey does a great job all-around. I don't think anyone has had more unseen poster rarities go through their hands in the last 30 years as Heritage has in just the last 10.

I just hope when he finds a Big Sleep midget wc, that it doesn't shoot through the roof

-------