Author Topic: Signatures on rare posters?  (Read 230 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
Signatures on rare posters?
« on: February 24, 2024, 10:56:32 AM »
For those that are NOT fans of signatures. I am also one and I cannot stand writing, signatures, autos, etc. on posters. I absolutely despise it. I am wonder What would you do in this scenario?

The poster is ultra rare. I Haven’t seen one before and this is the first time it pops up for sale. It wasn’t on HA or EMP as well. That’s how rare. However, it has a signature on it. I don’t know if I should bid on it or not. I would rather have it linenbacked and writing removed if possible. I honestly don’t know who signed it and don’t care if it’s authentic or not. I just feel it takes away from the poster.

What would you do?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Signatures on rare posters?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 11:13:37 AM »
I've always said that the only reason to linenback a poster is its rarity.  If you know you will never be able to find another copy folded.  And I also despise signatures, even more so than linen.  So if I were you, I'd buy the poster you seem to really want and have it linenbacked and the signature removed.  Even if it is signed by Chaplin, it's probably a forgery or signed by Chaplin's assistant.  Clean it up!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2024, 11:16:42 AM »
Thanks T! That’s what I’m thinking. I’ll update if I win the auction!

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 12:49:45 AM »
"probably"......if-it-was-OK-itd-b-financial-blundr......obviously-if-Chaplin-sig-looks-brand-n*w-its-faux.....RIP-1977

Also-what-p*n-it-was-sgd-with-matt*rs.....Laurl/Hardy-sgd-with-wrong-p*ns-that-wasnt-around-th*n (most-Shaws-r-faux-as-Rob-didnt-us*-sharpi-to-sign-fanmail.....*lvis Pr*sl*y , sam*-thing (only-1-auth*ntic-has-surfac*d-in-47-yrs)

saw-som*on*-shr*d-auth*ntic-CF-sig-from-StarWars.....thos-worth-good-$-now.......I-paid-200-for-a-SW-sgd-by-CF-photo,sig-kinda-fad*d-tho-thus-lowr-$

But-its-your-postr.....had-it-b**n-cast-that-sgd-it-I-prolly-wouldnt-do-it

(k*yboard-brok*n)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 12:57:26 AM by Tang Lung in Rome »